Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73] >
Off topic: 翻译与美食 (Translation and Gourmet Food)
Thread poster: Chinoise
ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:29
English to Chinese
+ ...
Registered nurse exam Sep 9, 2006

redred wrote:

Yueyin,

有一名新西兰的"海归",业务挂靠在一间转了制的知名公司名下,每月交管理费几千元,最初从事新西兰人才输出的服务,红火得很,现在转向其他国家输出人才的业务。以前的护士是中专毕业,大学扩招后,护士基本上是护理专业本科毕业,我认为她们加强一下英语是不难的。在这方面,没证是行不通。

[Edited at 2006-09-09 07:55]

redred,

你说得对,当护士没证也行不通。美国护士里面还分好几级。我上面说的“美国马上要到中国招护士”就是指到中国举行"Registered Nurse Exam"。凡是通过考试者就可以申请美国的工作签证,审批过程恐怕比PhD还要快。我以前看过试题,涉及的专业内容并不难。中国的护士只要英文好就没问题。美国医院里有一大批来自菲律宾的护士,大概跟她们英语基础好有关。也许新东方很快就会增加"Registered Nurse Exam"这一项业务,股票还会再涨。:D

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
话说当年 Sep 9, 2006

Angus Woo wrote:

Oh yea, that's true. Culinary-wise, indeed, actually we have a saying here 民以食為天. You see, to make a living, here we say 搵食 which literally means to find something to eat.

It's been more than 20 years since your last visit. HK has changed quite a lot. The air is comparably much worse but the food is much better. Today, the breeze of friendliness combined with carbon dioxide from the heart of this metropolis will undoubtedy present you with a new definition of HK.

The tram is still there. But the peak has been transformed into a modern glass-walled commercial complex which attracts tens of thousands visitor every day. There is even a Parken shop in it. The old resturant is still there (I forgot its name), the legacy of the past, just outside the mall, where one can still enjoy a delicious dish while feast your eyes with the gold-kissed sky and the panorama of the victoria harbor at sunset. At the peak, nowadays you would surrounded by numerous Mandarin speakers which if you turn the clock two decades back would not even have happened in people's wildest dreams. Stampede of vsitors stream in and out.

The old aiport and 九龍城寨 are both history now. 海城大酒樓 at Tsim sha tsui east went for chapter 11. Even 新同樂酒樓, the restaurant famous for its shark fin soup and abalone dish went down during the economic downturn following the 98 economic crisis.

Come again. Mandarin has put on a patina of prestige lately. It won't be a problem if you don't know a single word of Cantonese. Speak in Mandarin and put on the dog, the salesperson will treat you like a king.

Thanks, Angus. I would definitely like to visit Hong Kong again someday.

I wonder why air pollution became such a problem. One would think the frequent rain and seabreezes would rid the air of most of the pollutants. Perhaps it was caused by the modernization of Shenzhen and its surrounding areas? The constant on-going construction couldn't have been of much help.

I vaguely remember some of the details of crossing the border at 罗湖 in '79. It happened to be at night, so I fell sound asleep. But according to Sis, who stayed awake throughout, we had to wait for the boxcars to be switched over to a different gauge undercarriage, or some kind of hassle to that effect. It could even have been that the boxcars had to be ferried across in sections...I'm not exactly sure anymore, because I could have things mixed up with our trip on the way in to China years earlier. Anyway, when I woke up, gone were the acres and acres of farmland sitting in the dark, still night. Everywhere it was bright lights, big city, an entirely different world.

In the morning, a girl sitting in front of us was having her breakfast, casually munching and drinking away. Not being able to speak the dialect, the two of us sat idly by without buying anything (plus all we had were U. S. dollars). Next thing you know, a cop showed up and ticketed the girl for littering, after having the girl show her ID. I think the gist of the lesson he gave her was that she should have known better since she was local and not fresh off the boat, so to speak. It was a first for us

Angus Woo
Angus Woo
Local time: 15:29
Chinese to English
+ ...
Please come and see the new HK Sep 10, 2006

wherestip wrote:
Thanks, Angus. I would definitely like to visit Hong Kong again someday.

I wonder why air pollution became such a problem. One would think the frequent rain and seabreezes would rid the air of most of the pollutants. Perhaps it was caused by the modernization of Shenzhen and its surrounding areas? The constant on-going construction couldn't have been of much help.

I vaguely remember some of the details of crossing the border at 罗湖 in '79. It happened to be at night, so I fell sound asleep. But according to Sis, who stayed awake throughout, we had to wait for the boxcars to be switched over to a different gauge undercarriage, or some kind of hassle to that effect. It could even have been that the boxcars had to be ferried across in sections...I'm not exactly sure anymore, because I could have things mixed up with our trip on the way in to China years earlier. Anyway, when I woke up, gone were the acres and acres of farmland sitting in the dark, still night. Everywhere it was bright lights, big city, an entirely different world.

In the morning, a girl sitting in front of us was having her breakfast, casually munching and drinking away. Not being able to speak the dialect, the two of us sat idly by without sbuying anything (plus all we had were U. S. dollars). Next thing you know, a cop showed up and ticketed the girl for littering, after having the girl show her ID. I think the gist of the lesson he gave her was that she should have known better since she was local and not fresh off the boat, so to speak. It was a first for us

As for the air pollution, I am told that it's the result of over-use of auto vehicles, the use of fossil fuel by the eletric power plant and year-round free gift from nearby mainland factories. A term subsequently was coined, 人肉洗塵機 meaning we are all but living vacuum cleaners walking around. You get the picture. The situation is getting worse year by year, especially in the commercial hubs, places like Central, Causaway bay, Wanchai, Tsim Sha Tsui and Mongkok.

As far as I can remember, 羅湖 has been expanded and renovated twice since late 70s. Currently there is a fully air coned building on each side of the bridge. The bridge itself has also been recontructed. Now there are two one-way bridges to and from Shenzhen, one on top of another, a two-storey structure. I have no idea what it was like in 79. The first time I ever saw the LoWu bridge was 85 or 86. Even then, it was not an attractive sight, to be honest. Nowadays, it's an entirely different story. During public holidays, especially the Chinese new year, more than 100k people would cross the border every single day, a Guinness record for sure. You should see it youself one day, a real spectacle. Think of the collective spending power of those holiday-goers. Back in the 90s, the situation was more or less like a one way traffic, not many mainlander would come to HK to spend a few days and their fortune. Now, quite a portion of big spenders are actually mainlanders. They buy everything ranging from digital camera to listed public companies. Talking about change.

There are still some, although just a handful of them, obstinately believe or wishfully believe that no matter what HK people is superior over their mainland countrymen. To me, such notion is the product of a pathetic mind. Yes, most of the mainlanders are noisy; yes, most of the mainlanders are tempted not to obey the rules, yes, most of them tend to ignore the propriety of standing in a queue, but take a second look, being snobbish won't make HK people better either.

Take seafood for example, ten years back from now, you won't find many good seafood restaurants over the border. The price was good, but definitely not the food. Now, I don't see a really big difference, unless you are a food gourmet looking for trully high end products and services. I doubt any of our dear colleagues is. As a capital-oriented nation, the Chinese are still quite under-experienced if not inexperienced, a toddling child. Just walk in any seafood restaurant you can find on the other side of the border and order steamed-fish, you will see what I am talking about. Taste buds are better than my words.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Homeland Sep 11, 2006

wherestip wrote:
I vaguely remember some of the details of crossing the border at 罗湖 in '79.

Wherestip,

I don't know what your feelings were like when you crossed the border to Hong Kong and arrived in the United States months later. Did you feel happy to come back "home" or feel sad to leave "home" behind? Probably, the feelings were mixed. Anyway, it would need a lot of courage when facing so many unknowns at tha time.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Milestones and challenges Sep 11, 2006

Yueyin Sun wrote:

Wherestip,

I don't know what your feelings were like when you crossed the border to Hong Kong and arrived in the United States months later. Did you feel happy to come back "home" or feel sad to leave "home" behind? Probably, the feelings were mixed. Anyway, it would need a lot of courage when facing so many unknowns at tha time.

Yueyin,

Indeed my emotions were mixed. I always find sudden changes in life and big transitions in career physically hectic and mentally stressful. And as it were, I had already been through the upheaval of the cultural revolution and 上山下乡 leading up to moving back to the United States.

Arriving in the U. S., the immediate challenge was to find a job, earn some money, and get situated. The language was not a problem for us, and there really was not much of a cultural shock to speak of, so in that sense we felt easy-to-adjust. However, with no marketable skills and the lack of credentials in higher education, we saw no short cut but to start at the very bottom. As I recall, minimum wage at the time was $3.20/hour. And that's where we began. To practically start one's life over doing menial jobs, undoubtedly brought days of homesickness and moments of regret.

To enter UT, I needed a high school diploma. Knowing the red tape in China, I figured it was much easier just to take a test and get my GED to prove high school equivalency. But according to the advisor, GED tests were only for those who never graduated from high school. Eventually I had to ask a friend to jump through hoops and get a letter of proof in Beijing. Fortunately, taking the SAT posed no problem for me. So within a year I was enrolled in UT, Austin.

Although work-study was hectic, school went relatively smoothly otherwise. I thought I had my last ordeal upon graduation when I landed a job with IBM in Fishkill, NY. Imagine my surprise when the prestigous company hit the skids in the early 90's as the industry model of client-server took hold and the cash cow of mainframes fell to the wayside, a "curve ball" that precipitated my taking a transfer and moving to Austin.

In today's economic globalization and the current environment of non-stop industry off-shoring and corporate down-sizing, I'm glad to say I remain unfazed

As Forrest Gump quoted his mother, "life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get"

[Edited at 2006-09-11 16:21]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Chapters Sep 11, 2006

Yueyin Sun wrote:

Did you feel happy to come back "home" or feel sad to leave "home" behind?

Yueyin,

I know I didn't provide a very good answer to your original question. Not that I wanted to be evasive, but spontaneous emotions are hard to describe.

Suffice it to say, there's always a certain sentimental feeling associated with the closing of a chapter in one's life, even when the period has been miserable and things are changing for the better. I remember tears streaming down my face when the few of us lucky ones left 延长安沟 and headed for 汉中. The same happened when I drove across the Newburgh Beacon Bridge leaving the Hudson Valley heading for Texas.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
It's really an encouraging story! Sep 11, 2006

wherestip wrote:

Milestones and challenges

As Forrest Gump quoted his mother, "life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get"

wherestip,

Thank you! It's really an encouraging story! We should always stand up to challenges and strive for the better. BTW, I also like what Forrest Gump quoted.

Likewise, as Mid-Autumn Festival is near, when you buy a box of mooncakes, you never know what you're going to get!

lilyjoy (X)
lilyjoy (X)
China
English to Chinese
Really classic lines from Forrest Gump Sep 12, 2006

I like this line either: Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get... Life is miraculous. We never know what it would be. The only thing we can do is to stay as we are and come up to any challenges in our usual way.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
蹉跎岁月 Sep 13, 2006

wherestip wrote:

Yueyin Sun wrote:

Did you feel happy to come back "home" or feel sad to leave "home" behind?

Yueyin,

I know I didn't provide a very good answer to your original question. Not that I wanted to be evasive, but spontaneous emotions are hard to describe.

Suffice it to say, there's always a certain sentimental feeling associated with the closing of a chapter in one's life, even when the period has been miserable and things are changing for the better. I remember tears streaming down my face when the few of us lucky ones left 延长安沟 and headed for 汉中. The same happened when I drove across the Newburgh Beacon Bridge leaving the Hudson Valley heading for Texas.

Wherestip,

I can understand your feeling very well. I had a similar sentimental feeling when I left Gobi Desert in 1970. I was there in a military base with about 300 college graduates for "re-education". When I parted with my schoolmates at a railway station, some of us burst into tears. Everybody said "后会有期!" However, with most of them, I have never had a chance to meet again. I had the same feeling when I was transferred from Lanzhou to Beijing in 1984. I always want to visit those places again.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Memories Sep 13, 2006

Yueyin Sun wrote:

Wherestip,

I can understand your feeling very well. I had a similar sentimental feeling when I left Gobi Desert in 1970. I was there in a military base with about 300 college graduates for "re-education". When I parted with my schoolmates at a railway station, some of us burst into tears. Everybody said "后会有期!" However, with most of them, I have never had a chance to meet again. I had the same feeling when I was transferred from Lanzhou to Beijing in 1984. I always want to visit those places again.

Yueyin,

Exactly... Memories of friendship that's formed in good times, and moreover bad times, are treasured forever. For me, even the simple foods of the poor peasants in the remote countryside of 延长 are unforgettable.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Agree! Sep 13, 2006

wherestip wrote:
Yueyin,

Exactly... Memories of friendship that's formed in good times, and moreover bad times, are treasured forever. For me, even the simple foods of the poor peasants in the remote countryside of 延长 are unforgettable.

患难之交见真情!

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
絲路也是思路 Sep 14, 2006

樂音:

看你說戈壁沙漠,想起八零年代日人井上靖為 NHK 策劃拍攝的一系列影片「絲路之旅」;我有那麼一套片子,不時拿出來一集接一集一看再看,回想自己在那一帶遊蕩了將近一個月的日子。

很奇妙,在那樣的環境生存下來的人們最令人懷念。那年認識的有許多是江南去的,在那裡落戶生根。他們不是士大夫型態的知識份子,而是踏實懇切認命的工作�
... See more
樂音:

看你說戈壁沙漠,想起八零年代日人井上靖為 NHK 策劃拍攝的一系列影片「絲路之旅」;我有那麼一套片子,不時拿出來一集接一集一看再看,回想自己在那一帶遊蕩了將近一個月的日子。

很奇妙,在那樣的環境生存下來的人們最令人懷念。那年認識的有許多是江南去的,在那裡落戶生根。他們不是士大夫型態的知識份子,而是踏實懇切認命的工作者。有時我會想,到底他們的命運幸運些,還是其他人的命運幸運些。但他們只是落地生根,沒有怨恨。

井上靖寫了許多中國歷史小說,最主要都是西域的民族歷史,非常動人。接觸他的著作之前,我從來沒有想過一個外人也能理解中國的歷史發展。但顯然日本有不少對中國很有興趣的學者,研究中國的傳統似乎在大化革新之後並沒有中斷。從「絲路之旅」的製作上,很明顯地可以看出那些研究者的認真。

漢人往西走,胡人往東移,多民族的交流融合出奇妙的文化現象。這個過程歷經幾千年,許多痕跡已經不再能清楚辨認,但多多少少仔細些還是要看見歷史上東西交流的一點一滴。小溪、河流、大川以至汪洋,人類的融合是否也是如此?有一天整個世界融成一片,溝通無礙?

我們執著於世間的情,但個人的生命卻是這麼有限,過了幾個世代之後,我們的思想全都消失在歷史的洪流裡。每個世代繼續著、重覆著類似的、無謂的爭鬥,也許只有我們的基因匯入人海之中,不知能否存活於所有的爭鬥之後。走在絲路上,人也會打開思路,但絲路有始有終,思路卻是紊亂無始終的,只有片段的人間故事一代一代感動著人們,無論是爭鬥的還是和平的。

- Wenjer
Collapse

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
絲路之旅与沙漠之旅 Sep 14, 2006

文哲:

你的絲路之旅条件应不会太差,一路经过的恐怕还是大小城市,经过兰州时也许住在兰州饭店和友谊饭店。当时兰州好像只有这两家涉外宾馆,条件还是不错的。不知你在兰州时是否看过甘肃歌舞团创作的大型舞蹈剧《丝路花雨》?很不错的。兰州的牛肉拉面和酿皮子也是不错的。

我不知你是否到过真正的戈壁大沙漠。电视剧《还珠格格》里面“你是风儿我是沙”的那些镜头是在沙漠里拍的,但那地方离北京只有两个多小时车程。与戈壁滩相比那是小巫见大巫。当时我们的营房几里之外就是荒无人烟的戈壁大沙漠。不过艰苦的环境也培养了我们的吃苦精神和顽强意志。而且在学校时,学生分为好几派,互相斗来斗去。到了那里之后,确实思路不一样了,很快就成了一派,感情很融洽。生活虽然艰苦,也还能苦中作乐。

实际上,在那里待了将近两年,几乎与世隔绝,也让我们躲过一劫,就是1968至1970年期间的所谓清理阶级队伍和一打三反运动。我于1970年5月到达兰州时,白色恐怖的高潮已经过去。

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:29
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
中秋美食-月饼溯源 Sep 14, 2006

www.chinataiwan.org/web/webportal/W5267009/A107440.html

[Edited at 2006-09-14 20:51]

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:29
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree--- Sep 14, 2006

BTW,I like FERRERO ROCHER chocolates...

lilyjoy wrote:

I like this line either: Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get... Life is miraculous. We never know what it would be. The only thing we can do is to stay as we are and come up to any challenges in our usual way.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

翻译与美食 (Translation and Gourmet Food)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »