Angus Woo
Angus Woo
Local time: 19:11
Chinese to English
+ ...
Thank you Kevin. I will. Oct 23, 2005

Kevin Yang wrote:

Angus WU wrote:

I would say that Kevin simply has said what most Chinese have in their mind. What makes I and Kevin different is the perception on the rationale of why there are so many, virtually countless teachers, mentors of all sorts are telling Chinese people how they should live their life, and with a burning desire. Surely there is reason for that.

The world is getting smaller and smaller, and painstakingly China is getting stronger and stronger. This former employee or menial (I just hate to use the expression “the inferior chink”) considered by some is becoming a business partner or worse even a family member. All the existing bosses naturally would react very cautiously. Of course they would like very much to lecture this new member. If they can’t stop the Chinese from rising, then at least “house-train” them, for the little village is already occupied.

The mentors are lecturing the Chinese to safeguard their “own” interest which of course is understandable.

Hi, Angus

Thank you for the input! I always want to listen to the linguists from Hong Kong to participate in this and every other discussion in this Forum, because you have a life experience that is so different from the Chinese in the mainland China. Your perspective is highly appreciated. I would also like to mention to you, I am very impressed by your English and your logical presentation. Your English is much better than the English native speakers I have seen. There, you got my validation!

Good point! It made good sense to me. The Chinese people start to pop up in just about every field everywhere and appear more often in the news media nowadays; it is understandable that the world needs time to adjust and get used to it. I can understand when a servant starts to take in charge, her master will certainly not be pleased. Would it be possible that there will be a day that the role can be switched, that is, the Chinese hire a Westerner to be the servant? Or such thought is considered a violation of someone's norm or standard?

In my opinion, a Chinese model can do the catwalk on runway as good as the models from other countries, even though the Chinese model doesn't get the same compensation or receive the same recognition. I have the patience and time to wait and see, because I should have at least another 20 years to live.

Kevin

[Edited at 2005-10-22 21:04]

多謝晒!
呢度嘅生活的確係同大陸果邊好不同,如果大家有興趣知道,我可以發帖子介紹多D。

It's agonizingly difficult to change people’s conceptions once they are imbedded. Look what happened to the African Americans, 100 years after the country had witnessed the atrocity of the civil war, there were Malcolm X, King… We still have a long long way to go, Kevin. I am not particularly hopeful about being able to see the moment of true equality between yellow and white skin in this life time, though I firmly believe that day would eventually come.

[Edited at 2005-10-23 02:27]

[Edited at 2005-10-23 06:05]

Angus Woo
Angus Woo
Chinese to English
+ ...
An open question Oct 23, 2005

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

This is the classic division (in international relations theory) between realists and liberals

But, what about 'controversy'? good or bad?

Your answers would be as good as mine.

Angus Woo
Angus Woo
Chinese to English
+ ...
The Chinese aren’t Turks. Oct 23, 2005

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

Angus,

Ideas may always be good while the means to achieve the result often evil. That's the problem. There is a passage in Hitler's "Mein Kampf" (Chapter 6, Rassendiskussion) stating that the Germans shall not be week in dealing with the question of Jews for there won't be any question after that the problem be solved, just like the Armenian question was no longer remembered after that the Turks had solved the problem. The same applies to the Turks, who were driven out of their orginal territory. Who will remember the history and rectify the wrongdoings (or rightdoings)?

The principle I abide to would be: "Don't do to others whatever you wouldn't accept in their place." Quite the other way round as "Don't do to others what you don't want others do to you," huh?

My idea is just like what I said about the compensation for a translation job: Either you accept it or not; nobody urges you with a missile or a gun when you don't agree with the deal. People are smarter nowadays and they know what they want. They know how to protect/defend themselves. They know how to cut a deal fairly. There are things which nice girls don't do, but some girls do them nicely. Well, is'nt it clear enough how this world functions?

Wenjer

[Edited at 2005-10-22 15:15]

The Chinese intelligentsias also happen to have a good memory. And what is making the political elites of this so-called “civilized world” (personally I would prefer the expression “a better developed world”.) even more desperately anxious is the fact that China, more likely than not, is about to have both the political and the military muscle to rectify the wrongdoings. The developed nations (not just states) are just not sure whether or not China would actually use that Might to make things “Right”. Japan is one good example. Given their mentality, they tend to believe that China would, simply because they don’t understand the Chinese culture at all and also because they have failed to realized that such a reckless move simply contradicts the very interest of but the Chinese people. Chinese aren’t stupid.

Yet the possibility of this fairy tale becoming a reality, no matter how slim the chance might seem, above all is scary enough. Therefore we got this “containment” in place. The fledging might-to-be must be contained by the rock-solid mights.

The principle “Do only as you shall be done by” is not only right but also the very reason why there are some who are so frightened by the prospect of a stronger China – They are dreading that they shall be done by for what they have done.. Simple as that.

Being a Chinese myself, I don’t feel like I am in a desperate need for any reparation. Life goes on, only a fool would sacrifice tomorrow for what happened yesterday.

Disappointingly, I am reasonably convinced that there will always be some narrow-minded radicals who would still embrace this plausible idea -- “China threat”. Like it or not, not everyone is as open-minded as Wenjer.

[Edited at 2005-10-23 03:42]

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:11
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
That is a good start, but not what I meant by “servant”. Oct 23, 2005

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Who works for who...

Kevin

高抬贵手.Some of us have worked in Chinese-owned language schools. Does that count?

Lesley,

Thank you for updating me with that piece of information. That is a good start, but not what I meant by “servant”. Any teacher with your mentality gets to teach in a Chinese language school would make me concerned. Have you ever thought you would mislead those students in New Zealand?

Kevin

[Edited at 2005-10-23 08:44]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 23:11
Chinese to English
Oct 23, 2005

[Edited at 2005-10-24 00:57]

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
现在怎么扯到贵国的教育上去了? Oct 23, 2005

Lesley McLachlan wrote:
Kevin这类人过度疑神疑鬼吗?
另外,我们这个国家一般没有中国小孩儿读书,我们语言学校的海外学生大多数是青年.他们好像也很有独力性.
(最近几年中国家长送儿女到国外读书,生活是有什么目的?)

Lesley,

你可能不太识字,这里讨论的是“神六上天,国外尤其是海外华人反应如何?” 现在怎么扯到贵国的教育上去了? 这里的网友一直对你保持礼貌,从不原意对你的国家指手画脚,说三道四,而你除了来这里用你的偏见攻击中国、中国人和中国的成就以外,还趁机推销贵国臭名昭著的语言学校服务。我对你的牟利事业 - 语言学校 - 不感兴趣,我也不会推荐任何人去。以你所展露的心态,以你这样的英文和中文水平作教师,投身贵国的育人事业,难道一点都不担心会误人子弟?许多中国家长望子成龙或望女成凤心切,缺乏对贵国国情的了解,吃了亏。你没注意在贵国中国学生的人数大幅下降了吗?我担心的是中国留学生会继续上当受骗。如果你还有一点儿良心的话,请你帮我把那些因学校倒闭而走投无路的学生安排回国,不要让他们沦落街头。你如果有时间,请浏览下列网站,看了这些文章后,但愿不会再随便怪别人“过度疑神疑鬼”了:

http://www.qianhuaweb.com/20040226/ca139810.htm

http://www.china.org.cn/chinese/MATERIAL/402744.htm

http://sh.netsh.com/bbs/2595/messages/56638.html

http://www.yuloo.com/cglx/lx-lxzc/2003-09/1064482422.html

http://www.pconline.com.cn/pcjob/language/info/nz/lxkx/10311/247334.html

教育话题就说到这里。我们言归正传。

Kevin

[Edited at 2005-10-23 16:09]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
Oct 23, 2005

[Edited at 2005-10-24 00:58]

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
"Taikonaut" sounds the best to me. Oct 23, 2005

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Kevin Yang wrote:

"美国《新科学家》杂志也在自己网站上的宇航频道针对神六进行了一次民意调查,题目很有意思,主题是"你认为中国太空人应该如何称呼?",其中12% 的人赞同应该称为汉语的Yuhangyuan(宇航员,有31%的人则赞同用汉语的太空加上希腊语的水手组合为Taikonaut(太空人,还有一个选择则叫幸运,选择这一项的人竟高达58%。"

Kevin

[Edited at 2005-10-21 21:29]

American astronauts, Soviet cosmonauts, Chinese ?

What do you really want? That might tell us something too...

Personally, "Taikonaut" sounds the best to me. So what does that tell you? You are welcome to make your own pick."That might tell us something too..."

Kevin

[Edited at 2005-10-23 19:38]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
Oct 23, 2005

[Edited at 2005-10-24 05:47]

Philip Tang
Philip Tang  Identity Verified
China
Chinese
+ ...
“关他啥事?”, 简直荒谬. Oct 24, 2005

神六上天,做为炎黄子孙, 谁能不兴奋, 不高兴!?

唯一不愿意看到中国伟大成就的人,应该是那一些还以为自己’超人一等’的强权拥护者. 他们的自私心理,根深柢固,不可理喻.但是强权政策的没落是指日可数的.对于那些还是把头埋在沙里,指望将自己的利益建筑在别人的痛苦身上的人,将会被世人所遗弃.(那些自以为"是",不顾各国平等及尊严的国家与政客,其下场也将一样).

我对中国这几十年来的发展感到骄傲,也对中国领导人的坚定发展方向和成就放下了心头大石.我几乎可以看到中国在稍后在整个世界中扮演的角色.

言归正传 -
中国人对’astronauts’的中文翻译,由中国决定,国外人士进行什么’ 民意调查’, “关他啥事?”, 简直荒谬.

Angus Woo
Angus Woo
Chinese to English
+ ...
光是這些反應, 這個錢就值得花。有甚麼能比得上得到中國人的凝聚力更划算的買賣? Oct 24, 2005

Commuease wrote:

神六上天,做为炎黄子孙, 谁能不兴奋, 不高兴!?

唯一不愿意看到中国伟大成就的人,应该是那一些还以为自己’超人一等’的强权拥护者. 他们的自私心理,根深柢固,不可理喻.但是强权政策的没落是指日可数的.对于那些还是把头埋在沙里,指望将自己的利益建筑在别人的痛苦身上的人,将会被世人所遗弃.(那些自以为"是",不顾各国平等及尊严的国家与政客,其下场也将一样).

我对中国这几十年来的发展感到骄傲,也对中国领导人的坚定发展方向和成就放下了心头大石.我几乎可以看到中国在稍后在整个世界中扮演的角色.

言归正传 -
中国人对’astronauts’的中文翻译,由中国决定,国外人士进行什么’ 民意调查’, “关他啥事?”, 简直荒谬.

只要有了向心力,這些錢值得。如果中國人能和日本人一樣齊心,能換回多少個9亿人民幣啊。

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
Oct 24, 2005

[Edited at 2005-10-24 10:03]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

神六上天,国外尤其是海外华人反应如何?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »