+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
呵呵 Jan 16, 2014

wherestip wrote:

Yan Yuliang wrote:

http://store.apple.com/cn/buy-ipad/ipad-air

“iPad Air 重量不足一斤,却薄了 20% 之多。”

盯着“却”看了很久,最终到英文页面才看懂:
iPad Air weighs just one pound, and it’s 20 percent thinner.

If you can't understand that, maybe you should be spending more time on technical forums than in the blogosphere.

Maybe you are right.
I am thinking that, maybe, just maybe, the text is not intended for techie guys. And nobody in China reads them, seriously.

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:41
Chinese to English
+ ...
没好气 Jan 16, 2014

My fault. I deleted my post.

But seriously, mobile web is not available in Mainland China? That's hard to believe.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
虚心使人进步 骄傲使人落后 Jan 16, 2014

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2012-09/05/content_15753653.htm

Record investment in Chinese mobile Internet

Updated: 2012-09-05 15:19 By Hu Haiyan ( China Daily)

Investment in China's mobile-Internet industry reached a record $378 million in the first six months of the year, a year-on-year increase of 18 percent, according to a leading consultancy in the venture capital and private equity industry.

There were 30 investments in the first half of this year, compared with 33 registered in the same period last year, the Beijing-based Zero2IPO Group said in a report on Tuesday at the China Mobile-Internet Industry Investment Forum 2012, being held in the Chinese capital.

“Although the total investment volume of VC and PE in the first half of the year has declined about 60 percent year-on-year, yet the investment in the mobile- Internet industry has risen and the momentum is expected to continue,” said Gavin Ni, founder and chief executive officer of Zero2IPO Group.

There will be at least five companies in mobile-Internet industry to be listed in the next three to five years in China, he added, and the market revenue of mobile Internet will rise to about 130 billion yuan ($20.5 billion) from last year's 102 billion yuan.

According to the report, the major incentive for the increased investment was the fast development of the mobile-Internet market.

There has been an increasing number of mobile-Internet users in recent years, and it is expected that by the end of this year the figure will rise to 520 million from last year's 429 million. By 2013, the number of mobile-Internet users will outweigh that of Internet, the report said.

[Edited at 2014-01-16 16:38 GMT]

Yan Yuliang
Yan Yuliang  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:41
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mobile Internet,移动互联网 Jan 16, 2014

But no, never heard of "流动网络" in Simplified Chinese.

This should be a good example of how terminologies vary in different variants of a language.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
移动互联网 or 流动网络 Jan 16, 2014

Yan Yuliang wrote:

This should be a good example of how terminologies vary in different variants of a language.

Well, it certainly shouldn't be "还是第一次见到。难道是啥新鲜技术?"

I thought you were an expert in telecommunications.

BTW, what happened to all the high and mighty talk of tolerance for other different expressions?

[Edited at 2014-01-16 16:53 GMT]

Yan Yuliang
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Liquid Radio Jan 16, 2014

It was partly joking, and partly suspicion.

The first thing that came to mind was "mobile Internet", but we don't use “流动网络”, we use "移动网络" instead. Then I remembered there was a certain telecom technology called Liquid Radio or Light Radio...., which was similar to "流动". Therefore, I jokingly said maybe it was something new.

OK. So much for the explanation. Good night for those in the Eastern World, and good day for those in the west.

wherestip wrote:

Yan Yuliang wrote:

Well. it certainly is no "还是第一次见到。难道是啥新鲜技术"

I thought you were an expert in telecommunications.

[Edited at 2014-01-16 16:55 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
How convenient Jan 16, 2014

Good, for you it's a joke. For me, when I say I'm thoroughly disgusted, with even a smiley attached, it's not?

Yan Yuliang
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I thought I apologized. Jan 16, 2014

If that really didn't work, I shall apologize again.

My observation about being conservative was surely not meant to offend you. So please, if I have really annoyed you or something, it was not my intention.

Hope we can make peace here.

wherestip wrote:

Good, for you it's a joke. For me, when I say I'm thoroughly disgusted, with even a smiley attached, it's not?

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Apology Jan 16, 2014

Yan Yuliang wrote:

My observation about being conservative was surely not meant to offend you. So please, if I have really annoyed you or something, it was not my intention.

wherestip wrote:

I seem to have missed your so-called "apology". That "if I offended somebody" business certainly didn't cut it for me. It was far from having any sincerity given the circumstances - that is, I already clearly stated in a previous post that I was offended by your lecturing.

[Edited at 2014-01-16 21:50 GMT]

Yan Yuliang
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So be it, then Jan 16, 2014

wherestip wrote:

Yan Yuliang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

I seemed to have missed your "apology". Besides, to me that "if I offended somebody" business, certainly was not a personal apology, and not sincere at all.

I explained, and apologized, and I asked for peace.
Now you understand the true meaning of 屌丝. I guess everybody else should thank me for setting up such a good example of 屌丝.

Thanks to all who have helped me. See ya, guys.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
骂人 Jan 16, 2014

Yan Yuliang wrote:

I explained, and apologized, and I asked for peace.
Now you understand the true meaning of 屌丝. I guess everybody else should thank me for setting up such a good example of 屌丝.

Thanks to all who have helped me. See ya, guys.

No, I don't understand how that dirty term applies. If you are trying to insult me, I certainly am up for reciprocating.

[Edited at 2014-01-16 18:50 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
I don't think so Jan 16, 2014

Yan Yuliang wrote:

我对你充满自信的这个结论表示极端怀疑。电影导演冯小刚说得好,”屌丝(此处省去几个字)是对境遇不堪者的蔑称,自称屌丝的是不以为耻反以为荣”。我谨希望你今后不要再在此论坛提及这个龌龊下流的字眼,以免亵渎了我们这个读书人的清净殿堂!

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:41
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
低俗堂口與專業論壇之別 Jan 16, 2014

如繼續視這論壇為堂口,什麼絲就會不絕於耳。

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
Workstation Jan 16, 2014

Yan Yuliang wrote:

话说苹果的产品真是奢华大气上档次,ECC内存条比普通内存条要贵上不少。

這是工作站等級的Mac Pro, 用ECC很正常。

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:41
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
一斤 Jan 16, 2014

Yan Yuliang wrote:

http://store.apple.com/cn/buy-ipad/ipad-air

“iPad Air 重量不足一斤,却薄了 20% 之多。”

盯着“却”看了很久,最终到英文页面才看懂:
iPad Air weighs just one pound, and it’s 20 percent thinner.

面對國內市場是全世界的品牌都做的,但其他蘋果用家也不少啊,用一斤作單位算什麽意思,香港用家那會知道那究竟有多重。用斤作單位可能是去菜市場才會用上,而且說到電子產品還是通常用磅數作單位的。台灣不知道是否這樣呢?有人能說說這個嗎?

這就好像現在北美洲很多報章記者都不是繁體中文使用者,經常很多寫法讓繁體圈的人不明白。本科什麽的要不是經常看國內的文字根本不會知道這個詞。

我寫這個帖子的目的是說有時真的很無語,很多大公司其實未必認真去做localization.

[Edited at 2014-01-16 20:46 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Apple 中文官网的一些翻译

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »