在职PM来拜堂口!
Thread poster: Huawei
Yan Yuliang
Yan Yuliang  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:16
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thank you for your help with the auction Oct 12, 2013

I was just going to reply to the auction thread, but I am kind of busy lately. You are right about the increments, but the customer representative did not answer the 4,200 example. I will reply to that post later, probably in a couple of days.

It is "spill out", and I know it does not look right.

wherestip wrote:

Yan Yuliang wrote:

A (Huawei): Hello teachers and classmates, I am new to the translation business. I ...... Now I am .... I feel that.... So I am just dropping by to say hello to you all. Hope we can communicate more in the future on anything in this business. Thank you in advance /bow.

B: (What a coincidence! I happen to work in ZTE for five years. If your name is Huawei,) Should I call myself ZTE? LOL. You are welcome, anyway (to share any ideas or raise any questions)

Is omission prohibited in casual talk? Or do I have to spill out every word? Note that I did not end my sentence with a period.

It's "spell" by the way. No one is saying you are wrong. But since jyuan asked me to clarify the usage of "you're welcome", I did so.

You can insist all you want, just like the auction debacle. But your usage was not customary to put it mildly.

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:16
Chinese to English
+ ...
Helping others Oct 12, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

我重新提出这个问题仅仅是为了做进一步的探讨和学习,并无意引起不愉快。

J.H., it's not your fault at all. If people don't like to be corrected, it's easy. Nobody will point out their errors, and try to help in the future. That's all.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Thanks Oct 12, 2013

Yan Yuliang wrote:

I was just going to reply to the auction thread, but I am kind of busy lately. You are right about the increments, but the customer representative did not answer the 4,200 example. I will reply to that post later, probably in a couple of days.

It is "spill out", and I know it does not look right.

No need, Yuliang. Take care of yourself.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
For Completeness Oct 12, 2013

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spell%20out

spell out
:  to make plain (spelled out the orders in detail)

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/spell%20out

spell something out 

2. Fig. to give all the details of something. I want you to understand this completely, so I'm going to spell it out very carefully. The instruction book for my computer spells out everything very carefully.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/spell%20out

spell out

1. To make explicit and clear: asked him to spell out his objectives.

Yan Yuliang
English to Chinese
+ ...
No offence Oct 12, 2013

wherestip,
This has gone beyond "help".
And you should know I am not talking about you when I say I am offended.

"You are welcomed?" Come on, this is as lame as any Chinese English. And all this presumption that "few people know the difference between these two"?

J.H.,
Thank you for your effort. I will write you a message to explain it all.

wherestip wrote:

J.H. Wang wrote:

我重新提出这个问题仅仅是为了做进一步的探讨和学习,并无意引起不愉快。

J.H., it's not your fault at all. If people don't like to be corrected, it's easy. Nobody will point out their errors, and try to help in the future. That's all.

Yan Yuliang
English to Chinese
+ ...
You don't get it Oct 12, 2013

wherestip wrote:

Yan Yuliang wrote:

I knew the difference between "You are welcome!" and "You are welcomed!" when I was in high school, and I have never, on any occasion, used the latter, because it simply doesn't sound right.

Next time stop being so presumptuous about you knowing something others don't. Am I offended? Yes. Period.

And about making fun of his name? I don't think you know well enough about how Chinese think of Huawei. I am saying it jokingly, but nobody will deny that Huawei is a great and respected company in China.

Everyone else is presumptuous and arrogant, except you. I get it.

Making judgment about someone or something without knowing better is presumptuous. I might be arrogant, but never presumptuous.

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
More reason and tolerance called for on this forum! Oct 12, 2013

Yan Yuliang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Yan Yuliang wrote:

I knew the difference between "You are welcome!" and "You are welcomed!" when I was in high school, and I have never, on any occasion, used the latter, because it simply doesn't sound right.

Next time stop being so presumptuous about you knowing something others don't. Am I offended? Yes. Period.

And about making fun of his name? I don't think you know well enough about how Chinese think of Huawei. I am saying it jokingly, but nobody will deny that Huawei is a great and respected company in China.

Everyone else is presumptuous and arrogant, except you. I get it.

Making judgment about someone or something without knowing better is presumptuous. I might be arrogant, but never presumptuous.

Yuliang,

I get it. But I think all of us on this forum should try to be tolerant of each other, even if occasionally we are unjustifiably picked at, since no one is always right! And as far as I know, no one involved in this dispute was really being presumptuous as you claimed.

[Edited at 2013-10-13 01:40 GMT]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:16
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
The phrase "you're welcome" you used is inappropriate in my opipion Oct 12, 2013

no matter if you want 1) to reply to his "thanks in advance", or 2) if you want to welcome him to this forum.

In your argument, sometimes you seemed to mean 1), sometimes 2). What did you really mean in the first place?

To discuss it as a linguistic phenomenon, you have to narrow your thoughts down to one of them. Otherwise there will be no clear path so this discussion will lead to nowhere.

If you do more research, you will find you used the phrase inappr
... See more
no matter if you want 1) to reply to his "thanks in advance", or 2) if you want to welcome him to this forum.

In your argument, sometimes you seemed to mean 1), sometimes 2). What did you really mean in the first place?

To discuss it as a linguistic phenomenon, you have to narrow your thoughts down to one of them. Otherwise there will be no clear path so this discussion will lead to nowhere.

If you do more research, you will find you used the phrase inappropriately in ether of the above sense.

I intended to raise a linguistic issue other than trying to be presumptuous ( in your words) that you lacked language sense. I will never be that judgmental to anyone.

I think the only person that has been emotional is you. No one else. Who cares if you knew the difference between the 2 from middle school or elementary school? We were discussing a language phenomenon, and we are really not interested in when you knew it. It really doesn't matter and it is irrelevant to the discussion.

"few people know the difference between these two" ,as I said, might be a fact, if you could do a survey among seniors in the English majors in colleges.

I have been calm and if you even don't understand the basic principle of "don't take it personally" in a forum, it will not be worthwhile for me to respond any further.

Personal attacks are not allowed but none of my words qualify as a personal attack.

By the way, when you mentioned "you are welcomed" is Chinglish, please be clear about the definition of Chinglish. It might be a problematic phrase but it was not invented by the Chinese, so it has nothing to do with Chinglish.

If you put it in Google search you can find there are 171,000,000 hits (0.171 billions). This means not matter you like it or not, it exists out there.

[Edited at 2013-10-12 20:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-10-13 10:06 GMT]
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Apology Oct 13, 2013

jyuan,

In all fairness, used in the 2nd sense of welcoming someone to the forum, the phrase is acceptable, as shown by the example J.H. provided from the Oxford English Dictionary. IMO, it's not very frequently used, at least in the U.S.; but that doesn't mean it is wrong.

I apologize to Yuliang for the "fine for Chinese English" comment, made yesterday when I was a little peeved. It was not fair nor respectful....
See more
jyuan,

In all fairness, used in the 2nd sense of welcoming someone to the forum, the phrase is acceptable, as shown by the example J.H. provided from the Oxford English Dictionary. IMO, it's not very frequently used, at least in the U.S.; but that doesn't mean it is wrong.

I apologize to Yuliang for the "fine for Chinese English" comment, made yesterday when I was a little peeved. It was not fair nor respectful.
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
not personal Oct 13, 2013

I think jyuan made a very good point. Discussions such as this one are not personal at all. I totally agree with him on this. IMO, if we could all keep that in mind, it would avoid a lot of the unnecessary unpleasantness that we've seen in the past.

Lawrence Zhang
Lawrence Zhang
Canada
Local time: 06:16
English to Chinese
和平相处,点到为止 Oct 14, 2013

据说人与人沟通时,彼此的感受多半(百分子7,8十)是通过肢体语言传达的。论坛上只有文字,多半还是“隔夜“的 ,没有声音,更没有表情,手势等肢体语言。误解实在是在所难免。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
发言者要注意,但听者不要过分敏感 Oct 14, 2013

Coffee-Tea wrote:

据说人与人沟通时,彼此的感受多半(百分子7,8十)是通过肢体语言传达的。论坛上只有文字,多半还是“隔夜“的 ,没有声音,更没有表情,手势等肢体语言。误解实在是在所难免。

I agree. Also, sometimes when we say things, it's really at the spur of the moment. You just can't take everything said to heart.

James_xia
James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
宽容 Oct 14, 2013

Coffee-Tea wrote:

确实如此!不知这是否出于职业习惯,有时在考虑一个问题:似乎翻译这职业做得久了,眼里常常容不得一粒沙子。:)

从这个角度来看,抱这种心态用于工作很好,而工作以外,不妨宽而待之以推动更有意义的人际交流。所以,对于论坛发贴,完全没有必要做到“有错必纠”的。 请大家不再延伸此话题,权且视其为一次打字错误,也未为不可。因为,我们总不能象对待此类英文用错(即使真的有错)或打错那样,对发贴中使用中文或打中文偶尔出现的错误拼写或用法也直接指出,甚至偏离发贴主题来深入“讨论”一番吧~

论坛需要积极、热诚的响应和互动,请各位同仁多一分宽容,共同构建更加和谐的探讨氛围@

[Edited at 2013-10-14 16:40 GMT]

Huawei
Huawei
China
TOPIC STARTER
其实他家老总是我本家 Oct 15, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

Huawei wrote:

Yan Yuliang wrote:

You are welcome, anyway

IMAO, but my name is really huawei, even the chinese characters are also the same, they should pay me, right?

当时看到你的名字我还以为与华为公司有什么关系呢,不知道你要是给华为公司投简历会有什么笑果?

所以,真没试过,不知道会有啥效果。
一不小心好像透露过多个人资料了......

Danny Zuo
Danny Zuo
China
English to Chinese
Small World Nov 30, 2013

Guten tag, Harvey~

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

在职PM来拜堂口!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »