在职PM来拜堂口!
Thread poster: Huawei
Yan Yuliang
Yan Yuliang  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:31
English to Chinese
+ ...
OK. It's what I would say and how I would respond. Oct 11, 2013

Typically Chinese people tend to be very polite when they come to a new place (it might be the same with westerners, but I don't know), and IMO, it is just natural to say "Thank you in advance"(小弟在此先行拜谢了), which implies that in the future, I might have a lot of favors to ask from you guys.

So it just naturally comes out of my mouth, as someone who has been here for years, although "under the water" for most of the time, to reply with "You are welcome"(不用�
... See more
Typically Chinese people tend to be very polite when they come to a new place (it might be the same with westerners, but I don't know), and IMO, it is just natural to say "Thank you in advance"(小弟在此先行拜谢了), which implies that in the future, I might have a lot of favors to ask from you guys.

So it just naturally comes out of my mouth, as someone who has been here for years, although "under the water" for most of the time, to reply with "You are welcome"(不用客气). Pardon me for not being able to live in the US or UK, but it does sound better than "You are welcomed".

You might interpret this as another cultural difference, but yes, you're right, when a Chinese says something like this on a forum, he is not thanking anybody actually, but he is addressing anyone who might or might not respond, and he would certainly accept a harmless "you are welcome", deeming it as a response form the collective group rather than some specific guy he/she has never met. Again, I don't know what answers a westerner would expect when they say something like this. "Welcome aboard, sailor?"

Yes, you might argue that there is no "in advance" in the context, however in colloquial English, we don't really care that much and say all that we want to say, do we?

Also just FYI, I know the difference between "welcome" and "welcomed". I learnt them in different sentences, and I memorized the sentences, and the forgot about the grammar. But thank you for your kind enlightenment anyway.

[修改时间: 2013-10-11 06:06 GMT]
Collapse

Domenico Zhou
Domenico Zhou  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
咋又偏题了 Oct 11, 2013

这不是人家华为兄亮相的帖子吗,咋又跑偏了?要讨论“欢不欢迎”的建议还是另开新帖吧。

言归正传,我觉得像华为兄这样本专业是计算机的朋友,对常用的 CAT 应该吃得很透,以后大家有CAT使用的问题大可以向他请教了。

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
有趣儿 Oct 11, 2013

Huawei wrote:

Yan Yuliang wrote:

You are welcome, anyway

IMAO, but my name is really huawei, even the chinese characters are also the same, they should pay me, right?

当时看到你的名字我还以为与华为公司有什么关系呢,不知道你要是给华为公司投简历会有什么笑果?

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
我开始也没觉得不妥 Oct 11, 2013

Yan Yuliang wrote:

You are welcome.
Your participation is welcomed.

这两个用法应该没错吧?

jyuan_us wrote:

Yan Yuliang wrote:

You are welcome, anyway

但这句话应为 You are welcomed

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/welcomed

这个词汇,能用正确的人不是很多,因此借此提出,还望楼主不介意。

[Edited at 2013-10-09 20:56 GMT]

经 jyuan_us 老兄指出,前辈 Steve 的详细讲解,感觉获益匪浅!毕竟这种细微的用法上的差异在国内很难注意到。

[Edited at 2013-10-11 09:15 GMT]

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:31
Chinese to English
+ ...
etiquette Oct 11, 2013

Yan Yuliang wrote:

So it just naturally comes out of my mouth, as someone who has been here for years, although "under the water" for most of the time, to reply with "You are welcome"(不用客气). Pardon me for not being able to live in the US or UK, but it does sound better than "You are welcomed".

You might interpret this as another cultural difference, but yes, you're right, when a Chinese says something like this on a forum, he is not thanking anybody actually, but he is addressing anyone who might or might not respond, and he would certainly accept a harmless "you are welcome", deeming it as a response form the collective group rather than some specific guy he/she has never met. Again, I don't know what answers a westerner would expect when they say something like this. "Welcome aboard, sailor?"

Yes, you might argue that there is no "in advance" in the context, however in colloquial English, we don't really care that much and say all that we want to say, do we?

Also just FYI, I know the difference between "welcome" and "welcomed". I learnt them in different sentences, and I memorized the sentences, and the forgot about the grammar. But thank you for your kind enlightenment anyway.

I wouldn't use a "You're welcome" to "Thank you in advance" either.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/Welcome%20aboard

Welcome aboard.

Fig. Welcome to employment at our company. (See also on board. Invariably said in greeting to a new employee.) Glad to meet you. Welcome aboard.

He wouldn't mind a harmless welcome phrase of course, except he probably also wouldn't like others making fun of his name, would he?

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:31
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Yuliang raised an interesting question Oct 12, 2013

wherestip wrote:

Yan Yuliang wrote:

I wouldn't use a "You're welcome" to "Thank you in advance" either.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/Welcome%20aboard

Welcome aboard.

Fig. Welcome to employment at our company. (See also on board. Invariably said in greeting to a new employee.) Glad to meet you. Welcome aboard.

He wouldn't mind a harmless welcome phrase of course, except he probably also wouldn't like others making fun of his name, would he?

IMO I would say "Welcome to the forum" as a response to a "Hello everybody" type of message. I would really only use "you're welcome" as a response to "thanks for helping me out" or "thank you" directed at you (i.e. you being the recipient of said thanks.)

However, Yuliang raised an interesting question, and equally interesting answers (detailed and informative) were given in reply.

I wouldn't think this thread has been hijacked as the whole purpose of this forum is to discuss anything and everything related to our profession. This in itself for me was an excellent case in point of certain little nuances in the English language, etc, etc. I thought this was fun to read.

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
关于 You are welcome 的深入探讨 Oct 12, 2013

Rita Pang wrote:

However, Yuliang raised an interesting question, and equally interesting answers (detailed and informative) were given in reply.

我查了一下我用的金山词霸中的《新牛津英汉双解大词典》,发现 You are welcome 除了可以用于回答 Thank you 之类的答谢外,似乎的确可以用于表达欢迎某人的意思。如果大家的金山词霸中有《新牛津英汉双解大词典》的话,可以发现,在 welcome 作为形容词的释义与举例中有:

adjective
(of a guest or new arrival) gladly received

其中的例句是:

I'm pleased to see you, lad—you're welcome.
小伙子,见到你很高兴——欢迎你。

看起来,问题有点复杂了。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Typical Use Oct 12, 2013

I wouldn't rule it out, because when you think about it, it is correct grammar.

It's also customary to say:

• "You're welcome to stay with us when you're visiting New York."

• "You're welcome to join us if you would like."

• "You're welcome to use my cell phone if it would help."

So the main construction of sentences like these is "You're welcome (to something)". I wouldn't be surprised at all if somebody's welcome mat s
... See more
I wouldn't rule it out, because when you think about it, it is correct grammar.

It's also customary to say:

• "You're welcome to stay with us when you're visiting New York."

• "You're welcome to join us if you would like."

• "You're welcome to use my cell phone if it would help."

So the main construction of sentences like these is "You're welcome (to something)". I wouldn't be surprised at all if somebody's welcome mat said, "You're Welcome!" - meaning you as a guest are welcome into our home.

But typically the phrase is used as a response to thanks.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/british/you-re-welcome

English definition of “you're welcome”

you're welcome
said as a polite answer when someone thanks you for doing something:

"It was very kind of you to help." "You're welcome."

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/you+are+welcome___1

Definition of you are welcome in English

you are welcome

• used as a polite response to thanks: ‘Thank you for your help.’ ‘You’re welcome.’

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/you're_welcome

Phrase
you’re welcome!
1. Used to acknowledge thanks; you are welcome; ritual reply to “thank you”.

Synonyms[edit]
• (acknowledgment of thanks): de nada, don’t mention it, my pleasure, no problem, not at all, no worries (Australia, informal), think nothing of it, you bet

[Edited at 2013-10-12 15:53 GMT]
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
This is just out there on the web at large, so take it for what it's worth Oct 12, 2013

but it kinda supports what jyuan was saying ...

Is it correct to say "you are welcomed" or "you are welcome"?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060628170518AAJhSop

Best Answer by Fred

The two phrases have different meanings.

The proper phrase, "You are welcome" says that the person is welcome to whatever you have given them.

The other phrase, "You are welcomed", which is not generally used, implies that the person is being welcomed to wherever they are, as in "we are welcoming you into this place". Notice that the sentence does not say who is doing the welcoming, only who is receiving the welcome. It's an awkward phrase and should not be used, even when you are truly welcoming someone to a particular place.

So, when someone thanks you, just say "you're welcome" and if you want to welcome them to some place, then say "welcome to my ..."

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Time not well spent Oct 12, 2013

http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/welcome_2

6 you're welcome! spoken a polite way of replying to someone who has just thanked you for something:

'Thanks for the coffee.' 'You're welcome.'

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/welcome

4 —used in the phrase “You're welcome” as a reply to an expression of thanks

http://www.learnersdictionary.com/definition/welcome[2]

you're welcome

— used as a response to someone who has thanked you ▪ “Thanks for the ride.” “You're welcome.”

J.H.,

Most dictionaries all give the same definition, so I wouldn't overthink it.

Yan Yuliang
English to Chinese
+ ...
This is a conversation Oct 12, 2013

A (Huawei): Hello teachers and classmates, I am new to the translation business. I ...... Now I am .... I feel that.... So I am just dropping by to say hello to you all. Hope we can communicate more in the future on anything in this business. Thank you in advance /bow.

B: (What a coincidence! I happen to work in ZTE for five years. If your name is Huawei,) Should I call myself ZTE? LOL. You are welcome, anyway (to share any ideas or raise any questions)

Is omission proh
... See more
A (Huawei): Hello teachers and classmates, I am new to the translation business. I ...... Now I am .... I feel that.... So I am just dropping by to say hello to you all. Hope we can communicate more in the future on anything in this business. Thank you in advance /bow.

B: (What a coincidence! I happen to work in ZTE for five years. If your name is Huawei,) Should I call myself ZTE? LOL. You are welcome, anyway (to share any ideas or raise any questions)

Is omission prohibited in casual talk? Or do I have to spill out every word? Note that I did not end my sentence with a period.

[修改时间: 2013-10-12 10:23 GMT]
Collapse

Yan Yuliang
English to Chinese
+ ...
And also, FYI Oct 12, 2013

I knew the difference between "You are welcome!" and "You are welcomed!" when I was in high school, and I have never, on any occasion, used the latter, because it simply doesn't sound right.

Next time stop being so presumptuous about you knowing something others don't. Am I offended? Yes. Period.

And about making fun of his name? I don't think you know well enough about how Chinese think of Huawei. I am saying it jokingly, but nobody will deny that Huawei is a great and
... See more
I knew the difference between "You are welcome!" and "You are welcomed!" when I was in high school, and I have never, on any occasion, used the latter, because it simply doesn't sound right.

Next time stop being so presumptuous about you knowing something others don't. Am I offended? Yes. Period.

And about making fun of his name? I don't think you know well enough about how Chinese think of Huawei. I am saying it jokingly, but nobody will deny that Huawei is a great and respected company in China.

[修改时间: 2013-10-12 10:30 GMT]
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
It's fine for Chinese English Oct 12, 2013

Yan Yuliang wrote:

Is omission prohibited in casual talk? Or do I have to spill out every word? Note that I did not end my sentence with a period.

It's "spell" by the way. No one is saying you are wrong. But since jyuan asked me to clarify the usage of "you're welcome", I did so.

You can insist all you want, just like the auction debacle. But your usage was not customary to put it mildly.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
No offense intended Oct 12, 2013

Yan Yuliang wrote:

And about making fun of his name? I don't think you know well enough about how Chinese think of Huawei. I am saying it jokingly, but nobody will deny that Huawei is a great and respected company in China.

Everyone else is presumptuous and arrogant, except you. I get it.

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
My fault! Oct 12, 2013

The reason that I raise this question again is just for further discussions and understanding, not for causing displeasure.

[Edited at 2013-10-12 10:44 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

在职PM来拜堂口!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »