satoko takiguchi
satoko takiguchi  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:49
Japanese to English
+ ...
Mar 24, 2004

ローマ字表記について、みなさんはどう思っているのかと思い、メッセージ立てさせていただきます。
日本人だと、shiでもsiでも、し、と発音しますが、英語などだとshiとsiは発音が異なるので、ローマ字表記としては、shiにしますよね?
でも、たとえば、「もう」などの場合、ひらがなで書くと、「もう」になり、ローマ字だと、mouになりますよね?確かに発音では、あまり、「もう」とはっきり「う」とは言わないと思いますが、もし、ローマ字でmooとするとなると、ひらがなに起こす際、「もお」となってしまって、言葉自体が変わってしまうと思うのですが、みなさんはどう思いますか?私は、ローマ字にもし変換しなければいけないとしたら、ひらがなの表記に沿うべきだと思うのですが…

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:49
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Romanization systems - romaji writing Mar 24, 2004

Dear Miruru,
I think the best idea for a translator to use one of the standard romanization systems (there are four main systems). The client may have a preference, you should ask, If they don't than use the Hepburn romaji, which is the most widely used romanization system.
There is an excellent article about romanization of Japanese t
... See more
Dear Miruru,
I think the best idea for a translator to use one of the standard romanization systems (there are four main systems). The client may have a preference, you should ask, If they don't than use the Hepburn romaji, which is the most widely used romanization system.
There is an excellent article about romanization of Japanese text at the following location:

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Hepburn%20Romaji

You can read more about the topic using the links provided within the article.
You can find a lot of other information on the internet, just search for romaji, romanization, etc.
I hope this helps.
Katalin
Collapse

satoko takiguchi
satoko takiguchi  Identity Verified
Japan
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 25, 2004

Dear Katalin
Thanks for the link.:)
There is a Japanese leaning book called "げんき" by Japan times, and they put roman letters with Japanese. For ありがとう, they put roman letters as "arigatoo". I was confused by that. If someone first leaning Japanese saw this way and tried to type/write into Japanese, they might write as "ありがとお"...?

Anyway thanks a lot for your reply.
I will seach more.
Miruru

jbcreix
jbcreix
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
wa-puro Aug 31, 2007

I believe wa-puro ro-maji using ts, sh, j and n' is the best choice.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ローマ字表記について

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »