United States
Local time: 02:20
English to Chinese
+ ...
Good-looking vs. looking good Nov 29, 2013

wherestip wrote:

This one's pretty funny ...

Change of perception

My father always talked about being younger, and people would say to him that he was good looking. He doesn't recall knowing when it changed to "you're looking good."
—Guest Paul

Change your perception

My father always mentioned the adage about the age when others change what they say about you. From "you're good looking to you're looking good.
—Guest Paul

I think it's the same poster, saying the same thing twice.

Steve,

I don’t remember when people said I was good-looking, but I do remember that people often say that I am looking good.

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
good-looking vs. looking good Nov 29, 2013

... it's kind of similar to some women like to be called miss instead of ma'am.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Ma'am Nov 29, 2013

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ronna-benjamin/offensive-word-dont-call-me-maam_b_3040766.html

"Don't Call Me Ma'am"

http://libn.com/youngisland/2012/01/24/miss-or-ma’am/

"Do I look like a ma
... See more
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ronna-benjamin/offensive-word-dont-call-me-maam_b_3040766.html

"Don't Call Me Ma'am"

http://libn.com/youngisland/2012/01/24/miss-or-ma’am/

"Do I look like a ma'am to you?"
Collapse

QHE
QHE
United States
Local time: 03:20
English to Chinese
+ ...
007 Nov 29, 2013

ysun wrote:

I don’t remember when people said I was good-looking, but I do remember that people often say that I am looking good.

孙先生,
您的新照片具有Bond, James Bond 的风度呢!Smiley

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Ma'am or Miss Nov 29, 2013

Steve,

Nowadays, if you go to China, you must be very cautious about calling a young lady “小姐”.

I think the senator overreacted. General Walsh was just showing his respect to her.

I wouldn't mind being considered as old. Actually, I feel great when people call me “Sir” in shops, restaurants, hotels, airports, and other public places.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Unpleasant Nov 29, 2013

ysun wrote:

I think the senator overreacted. General Walsh was just showing his respect to her.

I wouldn't mind being considered as old. Actually, I feel great when people call me “Sir” in shops, restaurants, hotels, airports, and other public places.

I know. That was such an unpleasant reaction to someone just being polite.

ysun wrote:

Nowadays, if you go to China, you must be very cautious about calling a young lady “小姐”.

BTW, I skipped the "小姐" phase when it was "in vogue". Up to the time I left, everyone was "同志". It made life so much simpler. ...

But thanks for the warning. I see your point of what could happen: I could be thinking of calling a young lady "miss", and blurt out the equivalent "小姐".

Incidentally, late last year one of my old UT friends came all the way from New Jersey for a visit, en route for a Caribbean cruise. The Chinese restaurant 好好 was packed when a party of six of us arrived for dinner. She asked for help from a young man to get seated, and addressed him as "这位小朋友 ...". My jaw nearly dropped; but it worked like a charm.

[Edited at 2013-11-30 21:06 GMT]

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:20
English to Chinese
+ ...
Looking cool! Nov 30, 2013

QHE wrote:

ysun wrote:

孙先生,

Looking not just good!

[Edited at 2013-11-30 23:36 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
让各位见笑了 Nov 30, 2013

哈哈,我那句话是自我调侃,可不是自我欣赏。是不是因为我戴着墨镜像个特工?阳光太刺眼,我不得不戴墨镜,而不是耍酷。我要是去演007,电影公司肯定要破产。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
James Bond Dec 1, 2013

QHE wrote:

孙先生,

多谢你和 J.H. Wang 的美言!无论如何,一个男人被人夸有风度和 cool 总是件美事。 我也看过一些 007 的系列片。在演 James Bond 的几位演员中,我比较欣赏的是 Pierce Brosnan:

Good-looking:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130506224908/jamesbond/images/d/dc/James_Bond_(Pierce_Brosnan)_-_Profile.jpg

Looking good:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/80/Pierce_Brosnan_at_the_2005_Toronto_Film_Festival.jpg

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Context Dec 1, 2013

wherestip wrote:

BTW, I skipped the "小姐" phase when it was "in vogue". Up to the time I left, everyone was "同志". It made life so much simpler. ...

But thanks for the warning. I see your point of what could happen: I could be thinking of calling a young lady "miss", and blurt out the equivalent "小姐".

Incidentally, late last year one of my old UT friends came all the way from New Jersey for a visit, en route for a Caribbean cruise. The Chinese restaurant 好好 was packed when a party of six of us arrived for dinner. She asked for help from a young man to get seated, and addressed him as "这位小朋友 ...". My jaw nearly dropped; but it worked like a charm.

称呼跟翻译一样,得看 context,也得讲究技巧。在中国的饭馆里,似乎大多数人招唤 waitress 时,都是“直译”为“服务员”。如果你称她们为“小姐”,我想她们不会介意,反而会觉得你有礼貌。“同志”这种叫法早就过时了,而且也被赋予一种扭曲了的含义。所以,在国外待久了的人,回国后得处处小心。

你那位朋友称年轻服务员为"这位小朋友",确实是有点滑稽。不过那服务员听了也许心里还挺高兴。其实称他为“小伙子”会更自然些。“好好烧腊”在奥斯汀还算不错。但前不久我去温哥华,发现 Richmond 地区某些中餐馆的水平还是高得多(但价格较贵),不亚于洛杉矶和旧金山的中餐馆。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
007s Dec 1, 2013

ysun wrote:

多谢你和 J.H. Wang 的美言!无论如何,一个男人被人夸有风度和 cool 总是件美事。 我也看过一些 007 的系列片。在演 James Bond 的几位演员中,我比较欣赏的是 Pierce Brosnan:

Yueyin,

Great talking to you yesterday. My conversational Chinese is getting worse and worse. Sometimes I even have to translate my thoughts from E --> C. I hope you didn't mind my hesitant Chinese.

I like Daniel Craig the best. He has an earnestness in his acting that stands out among the 007s.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
老同学 Dec 1, 2013

ysun wrote:

你那位朋友称年轻服务员为"这位小朋友",确实是有点滑稽。不过那服务员听了也许心里还挺高兴。其实称他为“小伙子”会更自然些。“好好烧腊”在奥斯汀还算不错。但前不久我去温哥华,发现 Richmond 地区某些中餐馆的水平还是高得多(但价格较贵),不亚于洛杉矶和旧金山的中餐馆。

她很会来事的 (in a good sense), 非常聪明能干。 我当时跟她开玩笑:“你嘴可真甜啊”,同时心中对她的 go-getter attitude 很佩服。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Vancouver Dec 1, 2013

ysun wrote:

“好好烧腊”在奥斯汀还算不错。但前不久我去温哥华,发现 Richmond 地区某些中餐馆的水平还是高得多(但价格较贵),不亚于洛杉矶和旧金山的中餐馆。

Certainly. Vancouver has lots of immigrants from HK. I wouldn't be surprised at all that their restaurants are of a completely different caliber than what we have here across the good old US of A.

I don't have much experience with the Chinese restaurants on the west coast. But I've heard they're very good. IMO the quality of Cantonese food in the restaurants in NYC's Chinatown is comparable to that of the restaurants in HK.

Needless to say, I think very highly of the Chinese cuisine of HK.

[Edited at 2013-12-01 18:03 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
过谦 Dec 3, 2013

wherestip wrote:

Yueyin,

Great talking to you yesterday. My conversational Chinese is getting worse and worse. Sometimes I even have to translate my thoughts from E --> C. I hope you didn't mind my hesitant Chinese.

Steve,

尽管你离开中国已经三十多年了,而且说话时是用英语思考,但你的汉语还是很好。说话这玩意儿就像骑自行车和游泳,几十年不用也不会忘。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
吭哧吭哧的 Dec 3, 2013

自己都很不满,而且挺累。 那天早早就睡了。 ...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

试译陷阱?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »