Thread poster: James Salter
James Salter
James Salter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:31
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Nov 2, 2023

This is a potential website translating project of over 500,000 words. My contact has told me that the company does not have a record of the texts on Word, or in fact anywhere except the website (which seems rather odd to me). I recall translating website translations, some in Excel, some in another format, in the past - but somebody else always did the prep work. What I would like to know is what you usually do in these situations, if it is fairly simple or complicated, etc.

I use
... See more
This is a potential website translating project of over 500,000 words. My contact has told me that the company does not have a record of the texts on Word, or in fact anywhere except the website (which seems rather odd to me). I recall translating website translations, some in Excel, some in another format, in the past - but somebody else always did the prep work. What I would like to know is what you usually do in these situations, if it is fairly simple or complicated, etc.

I use Trados Studio 2019.
Collapse

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
What content management system are they using? Nov 2, 2023

If they are not offering to do it, it might be worth creating Word documents yourself by copying and pasting the content of their website. This extra work should be reflected in your rate. You then deliver both sets of Word documents.
The advantage of this is that you can use Trados for the translation.

Another possibility is that they give you access to the back office and you enter the translations directly, but then you cannot use Trados, and potentially spend a lot of time
... See more
If they are not offering to do it, it might be worth creating Word documents yourself by copying and pasting the content of their website. This extra work should be reflected in your rate. You then deliver both sets of Word documents.
The advantage of this is that you can use Trados for the translation.

Another possibility is that they give you access to the back office and you enter the translations directly, but then you cannot use Trados, and potentially spend a lot of time navigating the back office and possibly losing translations you have entered if there is a problem.
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
This sounds like a very un-proffessional workflow Nov 2, 2023

You must get the source files of the website. Today the content of websites is dynamic and comes from different resources.

You cannot translate such a huge website by copying the pages to Word, not to mention that they have to copy it back somehow to the website.

To me it sounds like getting into trouble with a very un-proffessional client.

[Edited at 2023-11-02 16:31 GMT]

Jorge Payan
Zea_Mays
Jennifer Levey
Tom in London

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Smartling Nov 2, 2023

or similar tools are useful for this.
I don't know how this works from the project managing side (there must be a CMS of course), but so far I found it really helpful for various things like the live feature - you see your translation in context.
There is also a word count feature.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-11-02 16:26 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Happened to me once Nov 2, 2023

A national park in Italy wanted me to translate their (English) website. They also didn't have the text on files.

I copied the text directly from their website and pasted it in Word, so I could work with Trados.

Told them that I would charge my hourly rate for the 'Kindergarten' work, and my wordprice for the translation. They agreed.

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 03:31
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
For the purpose of budgeting you could use a Website downloader. Nov 2, 2023

That kind of tool allows you to download the current website files and their hierarchy to your hard disk. So, by applying your preferred TM tool you will be able to obtain a word count showing repetitions, internal fuzzies and any other info that you can use for making your preliminary offer.

You can find user comments on
... See more
That kind of tool allows you to download the current website files and their hierarchy to your hard disk. So, by applying your preferred TM tool you will be able to obtain a word count showing repetitions, internal fuzzies and any other info that you can use for making your preliminary offer.

You can find user comments on HTTRack and its alternatives here: https://alternativeto.net/software/httrack/

As well pointed out by Yossi Rozenman, the content is usually dynamic. That is one of the reasons why, in order to perform the real job, you have to obtain the files to translate from your customer's webmaster or similar. The is no need for mandatory getting Word files if you know your TM tool well enough.
Collapse

Yossi Rozenman
Sebastian Witte

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
But Nov 3, 2023

Jorge Payan wrote:

That kind of tool allows you to download the current website files and their hierarchy to your hard disk.

How does it do that if all content is created by database queries and there isn't any hierarchy?
Very common today.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:31
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
try Cyotek's WebCopy Nov 3, 2023

Joakim Braun wrote:

Jorge Payan wrote:

That kind of tool allows you to download the current website files and their hierarchy to your hard disk.

How does it do that if all content is created by database queries and there isn't any hierarchy?
Very common today.

Hmm, not sure, but I think some of these crawlers / site downloaders can do that too. I used to use HTTrack but switched to Cyotek WebCopy (https://www.cyotek.com/cyotek-webcopy ) a while ago because it's better. Depends on exactly how the pages are created/called up I suppose (html/php/asp or whatever).

see e.g.: https://forums.cyotek.com/cyotek-webcopy/download-dynamic-pages-without-extension/

[Edited at 2023-11-03 21:46 GMT]

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 04:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Suggested reading... Nov 4, 2023

I posted a comment in a thread several years ago where a colleague was asking about getting reliable website word counts, not access to content for translation, but the obstacles to success are similar.
See here: https://www.proz.com/forum/trados_support/324647-website_word_count.html#2722472
HTH,
JL

James Salter
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Yossi Nov 5, 2023

OK, I'll be careful with that. This is just a "toma de contacto" so far, so maybe it will turn out they have it all in a proper format somewhere.

Yossi Rozenman wrote:

You must get the source files of the website. Today the content of websites is dynamic and comes from different resources.

You cannot translate such a huge website by copying the pages to Word, not to mention that they have to copy it back somehow to the website.

To me it sounds like getting into trouble with a very un-proffessional client.

[Edited at 2023-11-02 16:31 GMT]

James Salter
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Robert Nov 5, 2023

Yes, I think if this job actually comes off I won't baulk at doing the copying and pasting, assuming they accept the rate I offered.
Robert Rietvelt wrote:

A national park in Italy wanted me to translate their (English) website. They also didn't have the text on files.

I copied the text directly from their website and pasted it in Word, so I could work with Trados.

Told them that I would charge my hourly rate for the 'Kindergarten' work, and my wordprice for the translation. They agreed.

James Salter
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone for your input. Nov 5, 2023

And fingers crossed.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:31
Member (2008)
Italian to English
A fortune waiting to be made Nov 5, 2023

We need a CAT tool that will be able to access a website just from the URL of the Home Page, and that can then navigate through all the other pages, plus menus and drop-downs etc. and present all this to the translator as segments, in the usual way.

I must then then be able to upload the translated website back to the host where the original website dwells.

This is not impossible but we need someone to do it.

Whoever does it first is going to make a fortu
... See more
We need a CAT tool that will be able to access a website just from the URL of the Home Page, and that can then navigate through all the other pages, plus menus and drop-downs etc. and present all this to the translator as segments, in the usual way.

I must then then be able to upload the translated website back to the host where the original website dwells.

Whoever does it first is going to make a fortune!
Collapse

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Already there Nov 6, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Whoever does it first is going to make a fortune!

Smartling can do this (through GDN - Global Delivery Network). It even detects new content for translation.
https://www.smartling.com/resources/101/what-is-a-website-translation-platform-translation-platforms-101/
https://www.smartling.com/software/global-delivery-network/

Other website translation platforms:
https://www.smartling.com/resources/101/website-translation-services/

[Bearbeitet am 2023-11-06 08:56 GMT]

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
@James Nov 6, 2023

Given the amount of content (and UI, I suppose) that needs to be translated, I'd definitely advise using a translation platform (see post above).
This would involve working with the client's web admin or team.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-11-06 10:00 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating website in Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »