Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:46
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not very impressed Nov 6, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

Smartling can do this (through GDN - Global Delivery Network). It even detects new content for translation.
https://www.smartling.com/resources/101/what-is-a-website-translation-platform-translation-platforms-101/
https://www.smartling.com/software/global-delivery-network/

Other website translation platforms:
https://www.smartling.com/resources/101/website-translation-services/

[Bearbeitet am 2023-11-06 08:56 GMT]

Smartling website is not very impressive. If you read it carefully, it seems to be simply a way of "capturing" clients

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:46
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
I am using it for a client Nov 6, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Smartling website is not very impressive. If you read it carefully, it seems to be simply a way of "capturing" clients

What makes you think this?
As said, I do not know the project managing aspect when using Smartling, but as an active user I can tell it works pretty well (CAT features included). And the support team is very quick in responding to queries.

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
From my experience, Smartling is a very basic CAT tool Nov 6, 2023

If you compare Smartling with Studio or MemoQ, it is really basic, not to say primitive.

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
websites Nov 6, 2023

Yossi Rozenman wrote:

If you compare Smartling with Studio or MemoQ, it is really basic, not to say primitive.

We were talking about website translation platforms. You can't translate a dynamic website of 500,000+ words using doc or excel files.
For this purpose, Smartling is a good tool and has all what you need as a translator, plus a very useful tool to post questions and get replies from the end client, a web admin, or the project manager, and those discussions are visible for all translation pairs involved.
You can publish your wep pages directly from the tool, you get a TM, can create a glossary and much more.
Of course there are alternative website translation platforms out there, but thinking you are going to translate a dynamic site with Word files and a common CAT tool is near to whishful thinking. There is no way around working with the people who manage that website.

(But "basic" is also relative. To me it seems there is all you need in Smartling. It is a bit clumsy in part, and which features are enabled may depend on what has been enabled by the project manager - and on the chosen price plan I assume.
-The most basic/primitive translation tool I saw so far is Smartcat.-)

[Bearbeitet am 2023-11-06 13:28 GMT]

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
The site administrator should be able to export all the files needed Nov 6, 2023

As I wrote earlier in this thread, copying to Word files is not the right workflow.

The right workflow is that the website administrator exports the necessary files for translation, and then imports them back when they are translated.

On the other hand, what you do have in Smartling, if you have administrator rights, is the option to export XLF files for offline translation and then import them back translated.

[Edited at 2023-11-06 13:49 GMT]

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
? Why making one's life difficult? Nov 6, 2023

Yossi Rozenman wrote:

As I wrote earlier in this thread, copying to Word files is not the right workflow.

The right workflow is that the website administrator exports the necessary files for translation, and then imports them back when they are translated.

On the other hand, what you do have in Smartling, if you have administrator rights, is the option to export XLF files for offline translation and then import them back translated.

Why all that hassle??
Those platforms can be linked directly to a website, pull the single pages from there, you translate directly within the tool seeing your translation in context, and then the pages are directly published.
As a website admin I would refuse to extract thousands of pages and then reimport them. This is a quite error prone approach.
As said, a further advantage of those or at least some of the platforms is that they automatically recognise when there are new pages.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-11-06 14:21 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating website in Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »