Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Trados and Deepl Windows App
Thread poster: dennysgm
dennysgm
dennysgm
Brazil
Jul 22, 2023

Hi everyone,

Firstly, I apologize if this is an obvious question, but I have searched extensively and couldn't find a solution.

My issue is that I was accustomed to using DeepL with browser-oriented CAT tools, and the CTRL+CC shortcut was quite helpful. However, since I switched to Trados, this shortcut doesn't seem to work anymore. Interestingly, it still functions perfectly fine when I use it on a Google Chrome window. Is there some sort of block from Trados causing t
... See more
Hi everyone,

Firstly, I apologize if this is an obvious question, but I have searched extensively and couldn't find a solution.

My issue is that I was accustomed to using DeepL with browser-oriented CAT tools, and the CTRL+CC shortcut was quite helpful. However, since I switched to Trados, this shortcut doesn't seem to work anymore. Interestingly, it still functions perfectly fine when I use it on a Google Chrome window. Is there some sort of block from Trados causing this? Is there a fix or workaround for this problem? I have already installed QTranslate, but it doesn't support Brazilian Portuguese.

Thank you in advance.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:50
English to Russian
Does DeepL support PT-BR? Jul 23, 2023

dennysgm wrote:
I have already installed QTranslate, but it doesn't support Brazilian Portuguese.
QTranslate can support the same languages as deepl.com. According to my understanding DeepL doesn't seem to support PT-BR (nor any other language variants). It only supports PT, doesn't it? If I misunderstood something, please elaborate.

Do you probably mean that you can't find Portuguese in the list of languages in QTranslate? If so, (1) click the three vertical dots in the upper right corner, (2) select Options, (3) select Languages, (4) check the 'Portuguese' box, (5) click Apply and OK to save your changes. This would enable PT for you (but not PT-BR because DeepL doesn't support PT-BR).

[Edited at 2023-07-24 11:43 GMT]

Yaotl Altan

dennysgm
dennysgm
Brazil
TOPIC STARTER
My DeepL do have pt-BR Jul 24, 2023

So I don't know how but my DeepL app (and website) shows Brazilian Portuguese as an option

9314fee117238fda3b6ed9cc9e889fd5.png

But QTranslate dont.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
DeepL Pro Jul 25, 2023

Is it DeepL Pro?
Also, is there any way to distinguish whether DeepL translates into PT or PT-br? Any specific word or phrase?
For example,you translate a sentence from En into Pt and you somehow can see that it is Pt_Br. Are there any such flag words? I need it to test Pt_Br in Qtranslate. I know how to replace Pt with Pt_br,but I don't know how to check if that substitution really works.

dennysgm
dennysgm
Brazil
TOPIC STARTER
No DeepL PRO Jul 25, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

Is it DeepL Pro?
Also, is there any way to distinguish whether DeepL translates into PT or PT-br? Any specific word or phrase?
For example,you translate a sentence from En into Pt and you somehow can see that it is Pt_Br. Are there any such flag words? I need it to test Pt_Br in Qtranslate. I know how to replace Pt with Pt_br,but I don't know how to check if that substitution really works.

No, my DeepL is not the Pro version.

I'm not sure if I understood the question, but if you're referring to words or sentences that are different in pt-PT/pt-BR, here's an example:

en-US: CONTACT our customer support.
pt-BR: Entre em CONTATO com nosso suporte ao cliente.
pt-PT: CONTACTAR o nosso apoio ao cliente.

A few other words that change:
pt-PT/pt-BR
Telemóvel / Celular (cellphone)
Comboio / Trem (train)
Frigorífico / Geladeira (refrigerator)
Casa de banho / Banheiro (toilet)
Calcinha / Cueca (underwear)

In general, just a few words change, but the lost fluency is significant, and accentuation also changes.

If you need more samples, I can search for a more elaborated text to send you.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 07:50
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Stepan Jul 25, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

Is it DeepL Pro?

Yes, there is. If you want to test it, try with this please:

I had breakfast in the cafe and then went to buy my sneakers. but my shoelaces were loose.

PT-PT: "Tomei o pequeno-almoço no café e depois fui comprar as minhas sapatilhas, mas tinha os atacadores soltos."

In PT-BR, you will find something like this:

"Peguei o café da manhã na lanchonete e fui comprar meus ténis, mas os cadarços estavam soltos."*

The DeepL Web version has Brazilian Portuguese and Portuguese separately:

Captura de ecrã 2023-07-25 142359

*It is my own (awful) translation, not DeepL.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
No avail Jul 25, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:
Yes, there is. If you want to test it, try with this please
Ah, PT-BR is available as a target language only, but not as a source one. Ok, I see now. Thank you. I have tried but I failed anyway. Qtranslate rejects the PT-BT code.

[Edited at 2023-07-25 16:30 GMT]

expressisverbis

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Workaround Jul 27, 2023

Ok, I have a pretty awkward workaround to make Qtranslate understand PT-BR.
1. Close Qtranslate completely.
2. Download the zipped archive from https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QgrJZb2xbCjbHaGkxhbIW0ngYWURCfRl/view?usp=sharing
3. Unzip it and transfer the 'Service.js' file into the following path: C:\Program Files (x86)\QTranslate\Servi
... See more
2. Download the zipped archive from https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QgrJZb2xbCjbHaGkxhbIW0ngYWURCfRl/view?usp=sharing
3. Unzip it and transfer the 'Service.js' file into the following path: C:\Program Files (x86)\QTranslate\Services\DeepL
Before doing that, rename the existing Service.js file to Service_OLD.js or copy it somewhere just in case.
4. Once you place the new Service.js file into the above-referenced folder, open Qtranslate and add Afrikaans and Albanian in Options - Languages. From now on, Afrikaans = PT-BR, and Albanian = PT-PT. The 'Portuguese' option remains PT the same way it used to be before replacing the Service.js file.

[Edited at 2023-07-27 19:28 GMT]
Collapse

dennysgm

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not important, but... Jul 27, 2023

dennysgm wrote:

A few other words that change:
pt-PT/pt-BR
Telemóvel / Celular (cellphone)
Comboio / Trem (train)
Frigorífico / Geladeira (refrigerator)
Casa de banho / Banheiro (toilet)
Calcinha / Cueca (underwear)

In general, just a few words change, but the lost fluency is significant, and accentuation also changes.

If you need more samples, I can search for a more elaborated text to send you.

In Pt-PT "cuecas" simply, not "cueca" and far less "calcinha". A few words only? There are a lot of words that change in both variants.

Stepan, you really need to start invoicing

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Errr... Jul 27, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:
Stepan, you really need to start invoicing
Ha-ha-ha)) No yet. DeepL fails with toilet and underwear...

Here is what I get with the above workaround (the translation for "underwear" is completely different from what dennysgm suggested though, plus the translation for "toilet" is different in PT-PT).

EN —
PT-PT [aka Albanian] / PT-BR [aka Afrikaans]:

Contact our customer support. —
Contactar o nosso serviço de apoio ao cliente. / Entre em contato com nosso suporte ao cliente.

Cellphone —
Telemóvel / Celular

Train
Comboio / Trem

Refrigerator
Frigorífico / Geladeira

Toilet —
Sanita / Banheiro

Underwear
Roupa interior / Roupa íntima

[Edited at 2023-07-27 22:35 GMT]

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
And yet everyone is been worrying about... Jul 28, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

Here is what I get with the above workaround (the translation for "underwear" is completely different from what dennysgm suggested though, plus the translation for "toilet" is different in PT-PT).

Toilet —
Sanita / Banheiro

Underwear
Roupa interior / Roupa íntima

[Edited at 2023-07-27 22:35 GMT]

Toilet in PT-PT is "casa de banho" and it can be "sanita" as well. As for underwear "roupa interior" is correct, although it can be translated as "cuecas".
Context is everything... And yet everyone is been worrying about DeepL, AI, ChatGPT...

[Edited at 2023-07-28 14:50 GMT]

Stepan Konev
dennysgm

dennysgm
dennysgm
Brazil
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry for the delay Jul 29, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

3. Unzip it and transfer the 'Service.js' file into the following path: C:\Program Files (x86)\QTranslate\Services\DeepL
Before doing that, rename the existing Service.js file to Service_OLD.js or copy it somewhere just in case.
4. Once you place the new Service.js file into the above-referenced folder, open Qtranslate and add Afrikaans and Albanian in Options - Languages. From now on, Afrikaans = PT-BR, and Albanian = PT-PT. The 'Portuguese' option remains PT the same way it used to be before replacing the Service.js file.

[Edited at 2023-07-27 19:28 GMT]

Sorry for the late response. I didn't receive any notifications for new comments on the topic.

I'll try that and post the results. Thanks!

Regarding the DeepL Shortcut, is this a common issue? Are there any workarounds?

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
But what does it do? Jul 30, 2023

dennysgm wrote:
Regarding the DeepL Shortcut, is this a common issue? Are there any workarounds?
When I select a word and then double press Ctrl+C in Trados editor, a window pops up and translates the word. Is it what you expect?

Also make sure that double Ctrl+C still assigned in your DeepL app settings:

[Edited at 2023-07-30 23:34 GMT]

dennysgm
dennysgm
Brazil
TOPIC STARTER
Exaclty Jul 31, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

dennysgm wrote:
When I select a word and then double press Ctrl+C in Trados editor, a window pops up and translates the word. Is it what you expect?

Also make sure that double Ctrl+C still assigned in your DeepL app settings:

[Edited at 2023-07-30 23:34 GMT]

This is exactly what I expected, but for some reason, nothing happens, even if I change the shortcut keys in the DeepL app settings. It seems to be only an issue with Trados, because when I use the shortcut in any other app, DeepL recognizes the command and copies the text.

Any ideas?

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Shortcut conflict? Jul 31, 2023

dennysgm wrote:
It seems to be only an issue with Trados
No idea... I use Trados too and it works fine for me. Probably you use some plugins that may have the same shortcut? If you use plugins, disable them all by unchecking in 'Add-Ins' tab - Plugins and try the shortcut again. If it works now, enable one plugin and try the shortcut again, etc. This is how you could find the culprit plugin.

[Edited at 2023-07-31 21:21 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados and Deepl Windows App

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »