United States
Local time: 17:29
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Or maybe he should update his browser Sep 7, 2012

Lingua 5B wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

CanIjust runany wordsIwantto together ordo Ihaveto respect somerules?

You should both respect the rules and the fact that rules are changing (and not always by conventions, sometimes it happens naturally or to serve a specific purpose).

Based on the examples given, I truly suspect that certain typographicalerrorssuchasmissingblankspacesareratherbasedontechnichalissuesthan American English.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 02:29
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
? Sep 7, 2012

Tom in London wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

You should both respect the rules and the fact that rules are changing (and not always by conventions, sometimes it happens naturally or to serve a specific purpose).

OK, so what are the rule for runningwords together? Can I say "runningwords"? I don't see why not, or indeed whynot.

[Edited at 2012-09-07 11:26 GMT]

You are playing an adjective - adverb game in your first post, like:

"It's an everyday thing. I come across it every day."

And you are asking me about the rules for running words together? Yes, adjectival compounds run together, with a hyphen or not.

Any more and anymore can also have different functions.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:29
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
No, I'm not Sep 7, 2012

Lingua 5B wrote:

Are you asking me about the rules for running words together?

No, I'm interested in hearing how others feel about what the Americans are doing to their version of the English language by runningwordstogetherfornoidscerniblereason. I have the greatest respect for American English but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to understand.

[Edited at 2012-09-07 12:20 GMT]

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
I don't buy books anymore because I don't need any more {books}. Sep 7, 2012

I actually prefer the American usage and distinction in meaning here. Not all Americanisms are to be distrusted or automatically considered "dumbing down".

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed Sep 7, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

I actually prefer the American usage and distinction in meaning here. Not all Americanisms are to be distrusted or automatically considered "dumbing down".

Indeed. I'm a big fan of Webster (I even have a biography!) and because I'm also a fan of the Enlightenment I applaud all the efforts that have been made to systematise English, which for all I know is the most irrational of languages, being a hotchpotch of borrowings from other languages, pasted on to a root system that is of itself, immensely complex.

The development of American English since (say) the 17th century took a very different path from what is now called British English. In some ways American English is far more lively than BE but in other ways I find some of its "innovations" unnecessary and likely to confuse rather than rationalise.

"Everyday" is a case in point. It is an adjective and means something like "humdrum" or "quotidian". It dismays me to see the Americans exterminating it from their language. This is not progress, but impoverishment and I refuse to go along with it. I need to be able to say "everyday" and mean "quotidian".

[Edited at 2012-09-07 14:51 GMT]

Branka Ramadanovic
Branka Ramadanovic  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Croatian
+ ...
For me, Sep 7, 2012

Tom in London wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

OK, so what are the rule for runningwords together? Can I say "runningwords"? I don't see why not, or indeed whynot.

[Edited at 2012-09-07 11:26 GMT]

this opens up another issue, related to the character count "without spaces", for those translators who charge by characters (I sometimes do for local clients, and some of them ask me not to include spaces into the bill, under the excuse that "nothing gets translated in the spaces"). So concluding from your discussion, I can now finally tell them what I wished to all of my (translation) life: that I shall then merge words and that this is a new linguistic phenomenon that is even popular in the US! If guys the US do so, then we should certainly do the same on our part:):) Lucky me, I have found me a solution:)

Best,
Branka

urbom
urbom
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
write the feem toon, sing the feem toon... Sep 9, 2012

Oh, look! Someone's come up with an appropriate theme tune to accompany this thread.
http://stroppyeditor.wordpress.com/2012/09/04/the-very-model-of-an-amateur-grammarian/

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
?? Sep 10, 2012

Tom in London wrote:
"Everyday" is a case in point. It is an adjective and means something like "humdrum" or "quotidian". It dismays me to see the Americans exterminating it from their language. This is not progress, but impoverishment and I refuse to go along with it. I need to be able to say "everyday" and mean "quotidian".

What makes you think that "everyday" is about to be exterminated?

"Everyday" means "commonplace" or "ordinary". It does not necessarily mean that something happens each and every day.

Been in the US recently? Since the 17th century, I mean.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:29
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Oh my... even Apple is getting getting it wrong Sep 10, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

What makes you think that "everyday" is about to be exterminated?

"Everyday" means "commonplace" or "ordinary". It does not necessarily mean that something happens each and every day.

Been in the US recently? Since the 17th century, I mean.

Tom, I can tell you that mistakenly using everyday as a synonym for daily doesn't make one an American, just wrong. I was taught, and have always used, the same definitions for this term as you. We Americans really aren't responsible for every single abomination of the English language!

Of course, with powerful forces such as Apple aligned in favor the incorrect usage, it's no wonder that most people can't get it right.

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/
"Ultimate everyday notekbook"??!

[Edited at 2012-09-10 03:17 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Totally off-topic. Or maybe only a little bit. Sep 10, 2012

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:
Of course, with powerful forces such as Apple aligned in favor the incorrect usage, it's no wonder that most people can't get it right.

"Oh my... even Apple is getting it wrong"

The company with the vitamin-rich-looking logo is the only direct client of mine that I ever had to kill off for good because their pompous in-house editors kept sprinkling my texts with typos.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
But - !! Sep 10, 2012

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

But the use of "everyday" is correct there! I fear we've reached a point at which people aren't even sure any longer when it's correct and when not !!!

Hmm..."favor". That was Webster too. He removed the "u" from "favour" in 1828. But over here we've kept it - for everyday use....

[Edited at 2012-09-10 08:53 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Divided by the same language or whatever Sep 10, 2012

When I was just baout able to read for myself, some of my parents' colleagues gave me some books about Raggedy Ann (What, no 'e' ?) and Raggedy Andy.

I was intrigued about the spellings and expressions, very different from my UK Beacon Readers, though I can't remember details. Something about rag dolls with real red hearts.

I have come past irritation back to fascination with American spelling - it is fun when you take it that way. It is at least as intersting as the di
... See more
When I was just baout able to read for myself, some of my parents' colleagues gave me some books about Raggedy Ann (What, no 'e' ?) and Raggedy Andy.

I was intrigued about the spellings and expressions, very different from my UK Beacon Readers, though I can't remember details. Something about rag dolls with real red hearts.

I have come past irritation back to fascination with American spelling - it is fun when you take it that way. It is at least as intersting as the differences and similarities and false friends between my other languages - all of them. Latin and Germanic...

TheonethingIdonotlike
iswhensomePDFconverter
orothersoftwarerunswhole
linestogether,andtheclient
sendsthissasajobfortranslation
andwillonlypayforsixwords ...

The one thing I do not like
is when some PDF converter
or other software runs whole
lines together, and the client
sends this as a job for translation
and will only pay for six words!

But that has nothing to do with correct spelling anywhere on the globe.

Collapse

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Great! Sep 10, 2012

urbom wrote:

Oh, look! Someone's come up with an appropriate theme tune to accompany this thread.
http://stroppyeditor.wordpress.com/2012/09/04/the-very-model-of-an-amateur-grammarian/

Thanks for the link.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
One example Sep 10, 2012

This website

http://www.teachersacrosstheplanet.com/faq.html

Says

"How many projects are there a day? We receive on average at least 25 new projects everyday."

You cannot say that in English. Not even in American English.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:29
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Actually, I am sure... Sep 10, 2012

Tom in London wrote:

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

But the use of "everyday" is correct there! I fear we've reached a point at which people aren't even sure any longer when it's correct and when not !!!

...that Apple didn't mean to call the Air "humdrum" or "quotidian" or any of the other claimed synonyms for "everyday"! I suspect that they meant to say that the Air is the perfect machine to handle your all of your everyday/routine computing needs (or perhaps, on account of its size, to carry around with you wherever you go), which isn't exactly the same thing as calling the machine itself "everyday".

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are you ready for any more anymore?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »