Autor vlákna: Agnieszka Hayward (X)
LegalTrans D
LegalTrans D  Identity Verified
Turecko
Člen (2003)
angličtina -> němčina
+ ...
Dinner reservation. Oct 27, 2005

Thanks, Frank. No sight-seeing for me on Thursday; I only arrive at 4.00 pm. Dinner is definitely on, though!

While you are sigh-seeing, you could perhaps keep a look-out for restaurants that look appealing. I'll also post the link the Canadian agency promised (just sent them a reminder).

Best regards,

Volkmar

LegalTrans D
Turecko
Člen (2003)
angličtina -> němčina
+ ...
Dinner Thursday eve Oct 27, 2005

Reminders will work wonders, occasionally. Here is the link to the restaurant:

http://www.podaniolami.pl/

And here's what the agency owner wrote about it:

"Make sure you try the lard that they serve with bread…terrible for the heart, but oh so delicious."

I just had a brief look at their menu; they even serve "Smoked Hardwood from Beech Tree"! Now that's on
... See more
Reminders will work wonders, occasionally. Here is the link to the restaurant:

http://www.podaniolami.pl/

And here's what the agency owner wrote about it:

"Make sure you try the lard that they serve with bread…terrible for the heart, but oh so delicious."

I just had a brief look at their menu; they even serve "Smoked Hardwood from Beech Tree"! Now that's one thing I have never tried. So Polish - English translators, join us for dinner at Pod Aniolami, maybe you can even land a job and do a professional translation of their menu...they really need one.

Regards,
Volkmar
Collapse

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Německo
Local time: 15:12
Člen (2003)
nizozemština -> němčina
Coming together on thursday eve would be nice! Oct 31, 2005

I am afraid not too many participants read the conference-related forums, including this one.
Csaba
Yes, thats a pity, but what can we do about it?
Maybe sending another mail like that one for the guided tour on sunday?
Just asking who is interested in going out for dinner on thursday evening so that you, Csaba or Magda or Jerzy could make a reservation. I hope thats not too time-consuming for you.
Pozdrawiam
Steffi

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Maďarsko
Člen (2002)
angličtina -> maďarština
+ ...
someone in Kraków should do this Nov 1, 2005

I would be all too happy and eager to make a reservation for Thursday night, but I do not live in Kraków. I have been to Kraków 3 or 4 times, but the last time was around 1998... and obviously a lot of things have changed since then, new restaurants opened up, etc.
We would need someone from Kraków with a local knowledge to pick a good place for a dinner.
All I can do from a distance is to pick a place based on online restaurant guides. But even then, we would need to know the es
... See more
I would be all too happy and eager to make a reservation for Thursday night, but I do not live in Kraków. I have been to Kraków 3 or 4 times, but the last time was around 1998... and obviously a lot of things have changed since then, new restaurants opened up, etc.
We would need someone from Kraków with a local knowledge to pick a good place for a dinner.
All I can do from a distance is to pick a place based on online restaurant guides. But even then, we would need to know the estimated number people who would be interested in such an event. Last year in Oxford the total number of participants was around 100, and there were maybe 30 of us on a dinner in the eve of the conference. Taking that ratio, I would count on 40-45 people this time.
I really think that we should find a suitable place, reserve enough tables for, say, 45 people, and announce it as a semi-official event.
I would think that a not-too-popular restaurant would be preferable, so that we could make last-minute changes in the number of tables required.

Csaba
Collapse

anulka
anulka  Identity Verified
Finsko
Local time: 16:12
němčina -> polština
+ ...
Dinner on Thursday Nov 1, 2005

I also am interested in going for a dinner with other folks on Thursday evening. I guess we should pick a restaurant that serves Polish food, right? I don't know any good ones in Krakow (I always go to Chinese or Mexican when I'm there) but I will ask my friends who live in K. and let you know then

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
angličtina -> polština
+ ...
I can make a reservation. Nov 2, 2005

Pod Aniolami is a good choice. And nobody has to eat traditional Polish dishes (with lots of fat). But if I may suggest: there is perfect reason to lose some health and order something decribed in a menu as "Fires's dishes" (their lingo for burning ones). I'd also recommend dumplings.

My proposal is as follows: I make a reservation and order one of these. Just send me e-mails: I need to have a rough estimate of number of people to attend.

LegalTrans D
Turecko
Člen (2003)
angličtina -> němčina
+ ...
I am with it Nov 2, 2005

I'm with the program, Robert (1 person). I want to sink my teeth into a good piece of Smoked Hardwood from the Beech. For the rest of the menu, I'll rely on your advice.

Thanks for going through the trouble of making the reservation!

Best regards,
Volkmar

MurielP (X)
MurielP (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:12
francouzština -> angličtina
+ ...
I'm in for Thursday Nov 3, 2005

Hi,

I'm in for Thursday night as I arrive early that afternoon and this is my first visit to Poland so more than willing to try new dishes!!

Can someone tell me if Auschwitz is far, I only leave Sunday at 2pm and was wondering if I had time to visit this, otherwise I shall just visit Krakow. Also, I do not speak polish at all, can I get away with english??

Thanks in advance

Jana Teteris
Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
Velká Británie
lotyština -> angličtina
+ ...
English Nov 3, 2005

Muriel Pratt wrote:

Can someone tell me if Auschwitz is far, I only leave Sunday at 2pm and was wondering if I had time to visit this, otherwise I shall just visit Krakow. Also, I do not speak polish at all, can I get away with english??

If my memory serves me correctly, it takes about 1 hour to reach Auschwitz by bus. When I last visited Krakow back in the late 90s I remember booking the trip via a travel agency, and they had scheduled departures from the Old Town. And, I had no problem only speaking English (although as far as I remember, German did come in useful too).

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Německo
Člen (2003)
polština -> němčina
+ ...
Auschwitz is not very far away from Cracow Nov 3, 2005

However, I woul plan about two hours to get there and a whole day for visiting. Please prepare yourself to be shocked by what you will see.

More information about the concentration camp may be found here.

Best regards
Jerzy
(Visited the camp long time ago, but still having many pictures from there before my eyes)

Alicja Weikop
Alicja Weikop  Identity Verified
Velká Británie
angličtina -> polština
+ ...
Wieliczka Salt Mine tours Nov 3, 2005

I would wholeheartedly recommend all to visit the Wieliczka Salt Mines. You would definitely require a whole day for this. For people interested in going it might be useful to know when the foreign language guided tours take place:

For single tourist there are organized tours with foreign guide

English: from October to May: 10.00,11.30, 12.30, 13.45, 15.00, 17.00
German: from October to June: 10.45, 16.00

It seems that other languages like French/It
... See more
I would wholeheartedly recommend all to visit the Wieliczka Salt Mines. You would definitely require a whole day for this. For people interested in going it might be useful to know when the foreign language guided tours take place:

For single tourist there are organized tours with foreign guide

English: from October to May: 10.00,11.30, 12.30, 13.45, 15.00, 17.00
German: from October to June: 10.45, 16.00

It seems that other languages like French/Italian etc are only offered in the summer.

Getting there is another issue - I remember it being a bit tricky due to the lack of clarity on the minibus timetables.
The Mine is accessible from Krakow Main Railway Station (Dworzec Glowny) by LUX-BUS minibuses.

http://www.kopalnia-wieliczka.pl/home.php?action=&id_language=2
Collapse

MurielP (X)
MurielP (X)  Identity Verified
francouzština -> angličtina
+ ...
Thank you Nov 3, 2005

Think I will need to return to Poland to visit Auschwitz as I have to fly back on Sunday at 2pm, but thank you very much for the information.

I shall probably try to visit the Salt Mine which is only 10km away from Krakow. Anybody interested?

I'm really looking forward to this trip, I just love visiting new places. will try to learn a few words of polish before I leave!

See you all there.
Muriel

USER00230 (X)
USER00230 (X)
Velká Británie
němčina -> angličtina
tour for partners Nov 4, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

We can organise a guided tour in Cracow for all participants and/or for the partners.
What I need to know is, when and how many people would like to go. The cost for a guide would be something about 100-150 Euros.
The offered languages are English and German, possibly French and Spanish (but I would need to ask for tat).

Please let me know here, who would like to join such group.
Thak you

Regards
Jerzy

Hi Jerzy
I would be interested in a tour for partners (in English) on the Friday

Francis Gregson
Francis Gregson  Identity Verified
angličtina -> norština
+ ...
Reservation Thursday evening Nov 6, 2005

Robert Zawadzki wrote:

My proposal is as follows: I make a reservation and order one of these. Just send me e-mails: I need to have a rough estimate of number of people to attend.

Put my name down, please. [email protected]

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
angličtina -> polština
+ ...
A date I must make an order. Nov 6, 2005

To have a restaurant prepare a special dish I have to order it a week in advance (they must start marinating meat). Therefore I will place this order on Nov 16th, taking into account people, who send me e-mails by then. We will be able to accomodate last minute changes making portions smaller (I wouldn't recommend making them larger - as far as I remember it was not a trifle to cope with standard size, but some time passed since I've been there for the last time).

So far there are 8
... See more
To have a restaurant prepare a special dish I have to order it a week in advance (they must start marinating meat). Therefore I will place this order on Nov 16th, taking into account people, who send me e-mails by then. We will be able to accomodate last minute changes making portions smaller (I wouldn't recommend making them larger - as far as I remember it was not a trifle to cope with standard size, but some time passed since I've been there for the last time).

So far there are 8 people on the list (including myself).
Collapse

Stran v tématu:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderátor/moderátoři tohoto fóra
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Activities for partners of the 3rd Proz.com conference participants

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »