Thread poster: casey
casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:19
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Just to clarify Sep 28, 2007

I would just like to clarify that the company was not the client, and the person I'm doing the translation for is not even employed by them anymore. I gave out no information on the client to the company and didn't tell them specifically what I was working on. The end client will have no idea that I called, and the company will have no idea what current or former employee I was talking about. I didn't think it was such a big deal to ask a company for their official title in English. While I appr... See more
I would just like to clarify that the company was not the client, and the person I'm doing the translation for is not even employed by them anymore. I gave out no information on the client to the company and didn't tell them specifically what I was working on. The end client will have no idea that I called, and the company will have no idea what current or former employee I was talking about. I didn't think it was such a big deal to ask a company for their official title in English. While I appreciate the concern for the legality of a phone call I don't think it is warranted in this case.Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Thanks for the clarification Sep 29, 2007

casey wrote:

I would just like to clarify that ... the person I'm doing the translation for is not even employed by them anymore.

Thanks for clarifying this, because in your first post you wrote:
I was translating a document for one of the company's employees

which is quite different.

Anyway, I guess all is fine now.

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
That's exacty what I told the company Sep 29, 2007

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

casey wrote:

I would just like to clarify that ... the person I'm doing the translation for is not even employed by them anymore.

Thanks for clarifying this, because in your first post you wrote:
I was translating a document for one of the company's employees

which is quite different.

Anyway, I guess all is fine now.

That's exactly what I told the company. I did not tell them whether it was a current or former employee. They, like you, would probably assume that I was talking about a current employee (good for me, in this case), but the whole reason I started the discussion was to question whether a company's name is confidential information that can't be revealed.

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
I've learned my lesson Sep 29, 2007

For the record, I've learned my lesson. I won't be calling Japanese companies for anything translation-related from now on. I think Katalin is right, and the company probably did think I was a spy.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Company refuses to give its English name

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »