How do you translate a "colon" into Japanese?
ناشر الموضوع: kokuritsu
kokuritsu
kokuritsu  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:44
عضو (2005)
أنجليزي إلى ياباني
+ ...
Dec 14, 2006

Confusing is the usage of colon (:) in translating English into Japanese, particularly when it appears at the end of a paragraph: e.g. “….. as follows:”. Some editors/translators prefer a style which others do not, while I prefer (a) shown below. Any idea?
(a)・・・以下の通り。(which ends with 。only.)
(b)・・・以下の通り。:(which ends with both 。and :.)
(c) ・・・以下の通り:(which ends with : only.)

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:44
ياباني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
احياء لذكرى
Just use the "period" Dec 14, 2006

Though I've seen Japanese sources with colons, I'm fukukusai and don't like gimonfus and kantanfus and whatever going into Japanese text. I think it's not terribly correct for formal writing, either. Most of the time, in the the situation you describe, I see it expressed like your (a). I would personally simply use the shushifu.

bishan sharma
bishan sharma  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:14
أنجليزي إلى ياباني
+ ...
Just period is absolutely right. Dec 15, 2006

Kokuritsu San

You go with just period. It is absolutely correct without any doubt. Colon doesn't require any translation whatsoever.

Bishan

kokuritsu
kokuritsu  Identity Verified
عضو (2005)
أنجليزي إلى ياباني
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
Thanks. Japanese notational signs are still rendered in many ways. Dec 15, 2006

Hi Can Antinbay san and Bishan san. Very many thanks for your response which is instructive indeed.

Can Antinbay san’s remark also reminds me of other Japanese notations which our peers now render in various ways: e.g. I don’t think there’s currently a standardized description of Kagikakko when it appears at the end of a sentence. Should it be (a) 「・・・。」,(b) 「・・・」。, or (c) 「・・・」? My choice is (b).

When it comes to the
... See more
Hi Can Antinbay san and Bishan san. Very many thanks for your response which is instructive indeed.

Can Antinbay san’s remark also reminds me of other Japanese notations which our peers now render in various ways: e.g. I don’t think there’s currently a standardized description of Kagikakko when it appears at the end of a sentence. Should it be (a) 「・・・。」,(b) 「・・・」。, or (c) 「・・・」? My choice is (b).

When it comes to the description of a question mark, I'm not in the habit of ending up an interrogative sentence with "?" in Japanese, while some of my friends never forget to put "?". It largely depends on who writes it. Doesn't it sound strange?
Collapse

ejprotran
ejprotran
أنجليزي إلى ياباني
基本的には、 Dec 20, 2006

個人的な経験から言えば、日本語の翻訳文では、英語のコロンやセミコロンは訳出しない場合が多いですね。実際には、英語の原文の意味を正確に捉えた上で、訳出する日本語の文末は句点で終えるケースがほとんどです。ただし、コロンの直後に数字などのデータが続く場合などは、コロンを使用することも多々tあります。金融関係など、数字を扱う文章の翻訳をしていると、こうしたケースによく遭遇します。より重要なのは、クライアントあるいは翻訳会社が指定するスタイルシートに従うことだと思います。

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

مشرفو هذا المنتدى
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you translate a "colon" into Japanese?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »