Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Off topic: Dealing with Human and Natural Disasters.
Thread poster: David Shen
wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:30
Chinese to English
+ ...
Being Busy Apr 22, 2013

David Shen wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Hi, David. It's good to see you post in the forum once in a while. Of course I'd prefer to hear from you a lot more often.

Steve,

I would like to visit more often but I do not have as much free time as I used to have some 4 years ago. Loss of your own time is what a marriage does to a man (even if you do not care about your money), but translators are hard-workers and need time most, so think again those of you who intend to remarry!

Joking aside, I salute the regulars here who contribute to this forum frequently and keep it lively for many to enjoy. Some of your in-depth discussions on the art of translation are illuminating. I also wish to read more posts on the lighter side as we had in '05-'08. I hope the old Prozians are doing well and they would also drop in from time to time.

David,

A very belated congratulations to you. I'm sure the bliss of married life far outweighs the occasional little inconveniences.

Being busy will definitely do that to you. I was working on the XBox 360 for a couple of years in 2004 and 2005. For a period of time I didn't even have time to come visit. According to my search, it was approximately between Sept 2005 to April 2006. But I admit the latter part of that was due to my being hooked on playing Kameo on the XBox 360 they awarded us each after its launch.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
确实令人感动 Apr 22, 2013

wherestip wrote:

很令人感动的

Yueyin,

Thanks for the links and images. It tugs at one's heartstrings.

对生命的珍惜是不分国籍、不分肤色的。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Lucky boy Apr 22, 2013

David Shen wrote:

ysun wrote:

I am glad to hear that your big boy is safe and sound!

Thank You Yueyin,

My boy and a couple of his buddies were acutally planning on going to the finish-line, but the boys got hungry after working overtime on thier intern jobs and decided to go somewhere and EAT FIRST. By the time they were done eating, they found that it was too late to rush over there, so they did not go. I am glad they went to a busy restaurant or met a slow chef.

Next time if I have to wait for a long time in a restaurant, I will not complain!

David,

Your son is very lucky to be at a right place at a wrong time. I can understand your feelings a caring father would normally have for his children. However, you don’t need to worry too much about your big boy. He is no longer a child. He is a young man and is able to take care of himself properly. Nevertheless, he is supposed to give you a call in a situation like this.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
真可谓死无葬身之地 May 6, 2013

No graveyard would take the Boston Marathon bombing suspect's body.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Hmm ... May 6, 2013

I guess there's always cremation or burial by sea.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
天地人皆不容 May 7, 2013

wherestip wrote:

No graveyard would take the Boston Marathon bombing suspect's body.

众叛亲离
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/05/05/katherine-russell-tamerlan-tsarnaev-s-widow-wants-nothing-to-do-with-his-corpse.html

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
天有不测风云 人有旦夕祸福 May 21, 2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado_Alley

Though Tornado Alley is considered to be in areas of the Central United States, no official definition of the term has ever been designated by the National Weather Service. According to the National Severe Storms Laboratory FAQ,[3] "Tornado Alley" is a term created by the media as a reference to areas that have higher numbers of tornadoes. Over the years, the boundaries of Tornado Alley have not been clearly defined, but the differences are the result of the different criteria used to define the region. Ninety percent of tornadoes hit this region of the U.S because cold, dry air from Canada and the Rocky Mountains meets warm, moist air from the Gulf of Mexico and hot, dry air from the Sonoran Desert, which causes atmospheric instability, heavy precipitation, and many intense thunderstorms.

The most common definition of Tornado Alley is the location where the strongest tornadoes occur more frequently. The core of Tornado Alley consists of northern Texas (including the Panhandle), Oklahoma and Kansas. However, Tornado Alley can also be defined as an area reaching from central Texas to the Canadian prairies and from eastern Colorado to western Pennsylvania. It can also be disputed that there are numerous Tornado Alleys. In addition to the Texas/Oklahoma/Kansas core, such areas also include the Upper Midwest, the Ohio Valley, the Tennessee Valley and the lower Mississippi valley.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/21/us/severe-weather/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Moore, Oklahoma (CNN) -- Even for a city toughened by disaster, Moore has never seen this kind of devastation.

A massive, howling tornado pulverized a vast swath of the Oklahoma City suburb Monday, chewing up homes and businesses, and severely damaging a hospital and two elementary schools.

The storm killed at least 91 people. The official death toll stood at 51 Tuesday morning, but a coroner's office official said some 40 bodies have yet to be processed by medical examiners -- roughly half of them children. More bodies could be hidden under the vast debris field, authorities warned.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Super Typhoon Haiyan Nov 10, 2013

I don't remember anyone real active in the forum being from the Philippines, but I'm sure there are peers in the Chinese, English pair located there. My condolences to those who lost loved ones in this natural disaster.

QHE
QHE
United States
Local time: 04:30
English to Chinese
+ ...
Icemageddon in Texas Dec 7, 2013

The news reported that a strong and frigid storm made its way across Texas Friday,and might be the worst in years.

Hope all is well with our mentors Steve and YSUN; stay warm and eating well, and be very careful in this dangerous weather conditions.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Wintry Weather Dec 7, 2013

QHE wrote:

The news reported that a strong and frigid storm made its way across Texas Friday,and might be the worst in years.

Hope all is well with our mentors Steve and YSUN; stay warm and eating well, and be very careful in this dangerous weather conditions.

Thank you, QHE.

Yes, we got blasted by a wave of arctic air again. Dallas plunged from 80°F all the way down to 20°F. Here in Austin we don't have it as bad; but the heater is on constantly working non-stop. They're forecasting the extreme weather to last about a week.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Winter storm Dec 7, 2013

The storm system is actually nationwide. So take good care, those living in the U.S..

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/07/us/weather-winter-storm/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Dallas-Fort Worth Socked in by Ice Dec 7, 2013

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/bestoftv/2013/12/06/exp-erin-winter-storm.cnn.html

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
谢谢关心 Dec 7, 2013

QHE wrote:

谢谢你的关心!不过,mentor 却不敢当。我目前是在科罗拉多。但这里的天气也突然变冷,而且下了好几场大雪,不少路面都积有冰雪,开车很滑。好在我原来在 New England 生活过几年,早已适应这种寒冷天气。做自由翻译的一个好处就是,在这种天气里,可以不必开车出门、或少出门。估计你那里最近天气也不大好。如 Steve 所说,全美天气都不大好,希望大家多保重,欢度圣诞佳节和新年!

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Thanks Dec 8, 2013

ysun wrote:

谢谢你的关心!不过,mentor 却不敢当。

QHE,

Indeed. Yueyin is right. I appreciate your kind words and thoughtfulness though. Hopefully, we can continue to put all of our heads together, and try to get some of the language issues that come up in the forum sorted out.

QHE
QHE
United States
Local time: 04:30
English to Chinese
+ ...
当之无愧 Dec 8, 2013

wherestip wrote:

ysun wrote:

谢谢你的关心!不过,mentor 却不敢当。

QHE,

Indeed. Yueyin is right. I appreciate your kind words and thoughtfulness though. Hopefully, we can continue to put all of our heads together, and try to get some of the language issues that come up in the forum sorted out.

你们实在是太谦逊了。

很高兴知道你们一切安好。我们这里倒是出奇的平静,只下了点雨而已。

Best regards!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dealing with Human and Natural Disasters.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »