Canada
Local time: 01:52
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
YOU GET MY VOTE! Oct 13, 2011

Zhoudan wrote:

我到现在还在用2002年买的手机。连照相功能也没有。在家工作,一天到晚都在电脑旁,MSN、Skype、Yahoo Messenger和电子邮件联络工作足够了。跟家人朋友发短信、打电话就够了。外出只带一个手机。旅游期间就把邮箱设置成自动回复。当然2002年的手机恐怕不久即将淘汰,因为电池已经配不到了!

电子产品不用买最新的,降价快。

好多人都在用苹果手机,我觉得反倒没啥个性:-D 连美容院给太太小姐们做脸部按摩的小姑娘都要买!

I totally agree!!!!!

My previous cell phone was bought in 2007, since the one before (bought in 2000) finally caved in, haha. This trusty little samsung lasted - is still lasting - from 2007 until a month ago. Recently I bought a new "dumb phone" (fake android by motoroloa) because the phone plan that the operator was offering is just too good to pass up, and you have to buy their phone in order to activate a plan (we are talking about Canada here, so this idea might sound simply dumb to most, I know!)

I am one that is against buying stuff like Apple and smart phones. Frankly, do you really need it? Obviously it helps a lot...epsecially when you are a freelancer..but the more people who buy into the trend the more you are propagating companies. Look at how Foxconn is squeezing every little bit of its workers to help fuel the apple empire...and the material they need to fabricate these smart phones are like the new commodity in Africa..I know this sounds a bit crazy perhaps, but do we really need to help create more waste and more of this "fast food culture" as there is?

Clearly this is not a response to OP's question, just a personal thought - apologies in advance

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:52
Chinese to English
+ ...
Consumer Electronics Oct 13, 2011

clearwater wrote:

就拿家里的电视机来说,我会选择主流品牌、性价比较高的产品,而不是一味求Sony或Sharp,细想一下,这类产品的价格不值那么高。其他许多品牌的产品技术也已相当成熟,犯不着为了这里那里的某个特别出彩的功能或性能而大出血。当然,Money对我来说也是个考量因素。

For CRT TVs, I used to always go for Sony XBRs. But not anymore. The quality of Samsung LED edge-lit LCD Flatscreen TVs rank really high nowadays, especially their 8000 and 9000 series. I was so impressed with the Samsung UN55C9000, I bought two. And that's after getting a UN55B8000 model two years ago. So now I've got 55" LCD TVs coming out of the wazoo! But I'm not done yet. I plan on getting a 75" or 82" when they become available. Watching 3D blu-ray DVDs on these large screen TVs are almost as good as going to the movie theatres.

My iMac is hooked up to one of the new TVs, so I can watch on a large screen whatever clip or program directly off the web. Of course I also have the option of streaming video wirelessly through my router. But like I mentioned to nigerose before, this way, I could type to the computer lying on the floor in front of the TV if I wanted to - using Apple's bluetooth wireless keyboard, that is.

Indeed technology races ahead. When 4G becomes more prevalent, I might give AT&T's DSL service the old heave-ho too - especially if their monthly subscription doesn't stay price competitive.

[Edited at 2011-10-13 16:59 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
The proof is in the pudding Oct 14, 2011

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204002304576629413133310144.html

As a homebody and a retired person, I have no use for an iPhone either. Besides, I don't like to hold a flat piece of hardware next to my face talking on the phone, no matter how thin or light-weight it is.

However, I would definitely say that the iPhon
... See more
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204002304576629413133310144.html

As a homebody and a retired person, I have no use for an iPhone either. Besides, I don't like to hold a flat piece of hardware next to my face talking on the phone, no matter how thin or light-weight it is.

However, I would definitely say that the iPhone isn't merely seen as a status symbol or a toy anymore, at least not here in the U.S.. Lots of folks on the go find it a must-have, kind of like having a BlackBerry 3 or 4 years ago - just look at how the iPhone 4S has been flying off the shelves today! As mentioned in the above clip, one of the attractive new features is Siri. It acts sort of like a "sycophantic" voice assistant. Additionally, I read somewhere that it also takes dictation when text messaging. That ought to come in handy for those who like to text obsessively.

~*~*~*~*

On an unrelated note, here's a convenient gadget to have at home. It's how I avoid having to talk into an ergonomically awkward cell phone ...

http://www.amazon.com/Native-Union-Blackberry-Bluetooth-High-Gloss/dp/B003FMVCRK/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1318614056&sr=8-13

They have a similar model that has a docking slot for the iPhone too.

[Edited at 2011-10-15 09:59 GMT]
Collapse

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:52
English to Chinese
+ ...
多少钱一个 Oct 15, 2011

我们这里iphone4的价钱接近5000元人民币。美国多少钱一个?

http://www.suning.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/pbfl_-7_10052_10051_20001_1_苹果_.html

wherestip wrote:

However, I would definitely say that the iPhone isn't merely seen as a status symbol or a toy anymore, at least not here in the U.S..

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
美国价钱 Oct 15, 2011

Zhoudan wrote:

我们这里iphone4的价钱接近5000元人民币。美国多少钱一个?

http://www.suning.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/pbfl_-7_10052_10051_20001_1_苹果_.html

wherestip wrote:

However, I would definitely say that the iPhone isn't merely seen as a status symbol or a toy anymore, at least not here in the U.S..

Zhoudan,

I've never thought to ask. But according to Apple's own website, the older iPhone4 is from $99, and the iPhone 4S is from $199 ...

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone

Wireless phone carrier contracts typically run for two years though, and that's how they really stick it to the consumers. As I understand it, there's a separate charge for voice, data, and messaging in each phone plan. So plans could quickly add up if one signs up for all three package features. In that situation, I would estimate the cost to be around $90/month** to sign up with AT&T - and that's with only minimal access to the Internet(200MB). To get substantially more access(4GB - not unlimited, mind you) would cost about $30/month more. Because the phone plans are so lucrative, sometimes the phone companies offer some phone models for free. For example, right now the Apple iPhone 3GS - 8 GB is free of charge if one signs up with AT&T.

Notice Apple also plans on unlocking the iPhone in November. But then one has to shell out roughly $500 more per phone, since the purchase is not bound by any contracts. This option is probably good for the year-round international traveller. In that sense, it's probably not too much different than getting an iPhone with no strings attached( ? that's my assumption) over in China.

** with all kinds of surcharges and taxes included ... ($40 voice + $15 data + $20 texting + $10~15 surcharge & tax)

[Edited at 2011-10-16 00:21 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
BBX Oct 18, 2011

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204346104576639082477249682.html

RIM Unveils Next-Generation BlackBerry BBX Operating System

Research in Motion Ltd.'s co-chief executive Mike Lazaridis unveiled Tuesday its next-generation smartphone operating system, which the company has promised will power its newest BlackBerrys by next year.

RIM bought the high-powered QNX operating system last year, and has said it will eventually power new BlackBerry smartphones. On Tuesday, speaking at a conference of applications developers, RIM made that official: saying BBX will combine the best of QNX with the best features of the company's current BlackBerry operating system.

BlackBerry's next-generation operating system BBX is also Unix-like ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QNX

QNX is a commercial Unix-like real-time operating system, aimed primarily at the embedded systems market. The product was originally developed by Canadian company, QNX Software Systems, which was later acquired by Canadian BlackBerry-producer Research In Motion.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 19, 2011

http://www.pcworld.com/article/242132/ice_cream_sandwich_the_most_delicious_android_yet.html
... See more
http://www.pcworld.com/article/242132/ice_cream_sandwich_the_most_delicious_android_yet.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/242139/apples_ios_5_vs_googles_android_40_ice_cream_sandwich.html
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
4G Nov 1, 2011

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/01/tech/mobile/consumers-covet-4g-wired/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

You want it. You want it desperately. You want it desperately, but you don't even know what it is.

Such is consumer desire for 4G data connectivity in mobile handsets. Call it proof positive that the phone carriers' marketing efforts have paid off -- this despite slow 4G infrastructure roll-outs, and actual 4G data rates that fall far, far below the promise of the 4G spec.

In-Stat, a market research firm, recently announced that 75% of more than 1,200 surveyed consumers listed 4G as one of the features that an "ideal" phone would include. The survey also found that most consumers don't know which carrier offers the fastest 4G speeds -- immediately begging the question, "Would a consumer even recognize a 4G connection if it hit him or her in face?"

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Glut of mid-range phones Nov 1, 2011

http://www.forbes.com/sites/terokuittinen/2011/10/31/another-smartphone-miss-stiff-htc-volume-warning/?partner=yahootix

ZTE’s total handset shipment soared to 19 million units in 3Q11, up 58% year-on-year. That seems to be triggering something of a backlash from the Top Two vendors. Samsung and Nokia are now trying to battle back the tide of cheap Chinese Android phones by attacking them with 50-60 pound pre-paid touch-display models in the UK and rest of the Europe. This appears to be catching HTC by surprise – HTC has been attempting to hold the line when it comes to pricing of its mass market Android devices, many of which cost twice as much as the dirt cheap alternatives from Samsung and Nokia.

Afterthe Radio Shack, Triquint and HTC warnings, there clearly is a possibility that the mid-market and high-end smartphone markets may have been stuffed too full of product in the run-up to the Christmas season. Now Apple is cleaning up at the high-end, while the price aggression of Samsung, Nokia, ZTE and Huawei is pulling mid-range consumers down to sub-$200 non-subsidized price points.

This could mean an ugly 4Q11 for Samsung, HTC, LG and Sony Ericsson – and it’s clearly going to pose a serious challenge for Nokia when it comes to marketing its rather expensive new Windows models. Are we facing the emergence of a Bar Bell Smartphone Market, where the middle ground sags while certain models at price extremes flourish? If so, the component vendors will have to go through a period of inventory adjustment and possibly faster than anticipated ASP erosion.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Browser market share breakdown Nov 3, 2011

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/03/tech/web/internet-explorer-traffic-share-mashable/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Internet Explorer can no longer claim more than half of the web's traffic, as of October, ending more than a decade of the default Microsoft browser's reign.

Safari's hold on 62.17% of mobile traffic has reduced IE's overall share of web browsing, despite still claiming 52.63% of desktop traffic, according to Netmarketshare.com.

The Microsoft browser's diminishing share (49.6%) reflects its near absence from the realms of mobile and tablet, which now make up 6% of web traffic. However, chances are, you gave up on IE long enough ago that this milestone makes you more curious as to who actually still uses the browser.

As of October, Firefox is the second most popular web browser, accounting for 21.20% of traffic, followed by Google Chrome and Safari, which account for 16.60% and 8.72% respectively.

Chrome, which recently celebrated its third birthday, experienced the most expansion in October, increasing its share of the desktop market 1.42%.

Safari, the default browser in Apple's iPhone and iPad, continues to increase its dominance over the mobile web, gaining 6.58% of the market. Safari's share is increasing faster than the iPhone's, probably due to how much mobile traffic is now driven by iPads.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Android widens lead Nov 8, 2011

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57319697-93/android-samsung-top-u.s-mobile-phone-market/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Android has widened its lead as the top smartphone OS in the U.S., according to the latest stats from ComScore.

For the three months ending September, Google's mobile platform grabbed 44.8 percent of the market, an increase of almost 5 points from the prior quarter. Apple's iOS retained second place with a 27.4 percent share of U.S. smartphone owners, up slightly from the previous period.

Android and iOS were the only two smartphone operating systems to gain market share.

RIM's BlackBerry took third place with 18.9 percent, a drop of almost 5 percent. That left Microsoft's Windows Phone and Nokia's Symbian trailing the charts, each having lost a small fraction of a point from the prior quarter, according to ComScore.

chrisleo
chrisleo
Chinese to English
+ ...
大街小巷到处都是苹果了,有点俗了。 Dec 1, 2011

大街小巷到处都是苹果了,有点俗了。

不过用iphone来办公,是个不错的选择。速度性能一流,软件成熟,永远不会有故障(指办公)
黑莓已成为过去式。。。

Owen Yang
Owen Yang
China
Chinese
+ ...
苹果已落伍 Dec 27, 2011

苹果概念火了这么几年,现在已明显落伍了。公司的小职员都可以用苹果,苹果还有什么档次可言!

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:52
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
so a product is considered 落伍 Jan 6, 2012

Hmm, I find this concept unnerving- so a product is considered 落伍 if it's no longer restricted to the 1% of the population?

If a product becomes accessible to most (within a certain salary/income range still, unfortunately), isn't that an indicator of the product's greatness?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

苹果是必备装置?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »