Is there a website for onomatopoeic words....
Thread poster: Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)
Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)
Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
Aug 30, 2002

...where one can listen to the different sounds?

Since these words are often \"heard\" differently by speakers of different languages, they can sometimes cause a problem for a translator, and I thought maybe there is a website where one can play back and listen to the different sounds.

In my opinion, listening to a sound would help to decide which translation is the most suitable for that particular sound. At the moment I am struggling with noises assoc
... See more
...where one can listen to the different sounds?

Since these words are often \"heard\" differently by speakers of different languages, they can sometimes cause a problem for a translator, and I thought maybe there is a website where one can play back and listen to the different sounds.

In my opinion, listening to a sound would help to decide which translation is the most suitable for that particular sound. At the moment I am struggling with noises associated with cars and driving, such as rumble, rattle, clunk, howl, whine, roar, chuckle (!!), pop, grind etc. etc.

I think this kind of a website would be very useful as well as entertaining. So if you know one, please share it with us. Thanks in advance!

I did find:

http://www.georgetown.edu/cball/animals/animals.html

In this cute website for animal sounds there is a transcription for each sound in several languages (which is not always correct, I noticed) and some (but not all) of the sounds can be played back. Have fun!

Have a nice weekend.

Minna

Collapse

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 11:24
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Thanks for the link Minna, quite amusing! Sep 2, 2002

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a website for onomatopoeic words....

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »