What are your thoughts about Google Translate documents and images sections?
Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:56
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Aug 16, 2023

Pretty good as a rough translation that can be used as a starting point for a proper translation.

https://translate.google.co.uk/?vi=c&sl=it&tl=en&op=docs

[Edited at 2023-08-16 22:19 GMT]

Michel Durán Cardoso

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
It was decent. Aug 17, 2023

I've used Google Translate when my clients didn't have a prohibition in place to use MT. For my target language and some of my specialized fields, it generally performed better than DeepL. In fact, I recently noticed a critical issue with the latter. Wanted to post a thread about this, but I just didn't feel like it.

Obviously, MT are completely useless for subtitles. Even if they can handle colloquialisms, which is often not the case, MT still can't format timed texts according to
... See more
I've used Google Translate when my clients didn't have a prohibition in place to use MT. For my target language and some of my specialized fields, it generally performed better than DeepL. In fact, I recently noticed a critical issue with the latter. Wanted to post a thread about this, but I just didn't feel like it.

Obviously, MT are completely useless for subtitles. Even if they can handle colloquialisms, which is often not the case, MT still can't format timed texts according to the required technical specifications.

What's with the sudden clemency, Tomu-senpai? I thought you were strictly on the anti-MT/AI camp?

(Edited to fix inconsistencies.)

[Edited at 2023-08-17 12:33 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Tom Aug 17, 2023

I’ve used Deepl very, very occasionally (when I am extremely tired or have some pain in my right hand) as a very rough draft just to speed the typing up a bit. The big advantage over GT is that it allows you to choose between PT(pt) and PT(br). From my very little experience I’d say that GT’s output is unreliable in comparison with Deepl. Please take this with a grain of salt as I deeply dislike the ever-growing translation mechanization and automation. I'm not trying to prove anything to ... See more
I’ve used Deepl very, very occasionally (when I am extremely tired or have some pain in my right hand) as a very rough draft just to speed the typing up a bit. The big advantage over GT is that it allows you to choose between PT(pt) and PT(br). From my very little experience I’d say that GT’s output is unreliable in comparison with Deepl. Please take this with a grain of salt as I deeply dislike the ever-growing translation mechanization and automation. I'm not trying to prove anything to anybody. It's just my way…Collapse

Zea_Mays

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Wrong Aug 17, 2023

Mr. Satan wrote:

What's with the sudden clemency, Tomu-senpai? I thought you were strictly on the anti-MT/AI camp?

Not correct. I am anti the people who believe in technology like a religion. I use tools when I find them useful. Screws, for example, are an amazing invention that changed the world and that I have adopted with alacrity; but I don't think screws are going to transform the whole gamut of human existence. It's the same with AI.

MT is completely useless for subtitles - and everything else. GT, Deepl, and all those other MT engines simply perform Stage 1 of a translation and remove a lot of the donkey work of typing out the initial rough draft. MT engines cannot and never will be able to then perform the subsequent stages.

[Edited at 2023-08-17 06:58 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Mr. Satan (X)
Becca Resnik
Philip Lees
neilmac

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Do you speak Italian? Aug 17, 2023

You tell us, Tom... is this any good? Here's English to Italian:

auction . italian auction

It also doesn't do well with fonts, so I guess this service is mostly meant for people who want to know WHAT it says:

eats . eats (1)

[Edited at 2023-08-17 08:18 GMT]

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 00:56
English to Russian
+ ...
A toy for translators Aug 17, 2023

I fed it a short and simple text because it would certainly screw up a difficult one. The translation read pretty smoothly, it had no major language errors except for maybe one little "meh!" on account of the same preposition being used for two nouns that should have been declined differently (lazy humans do it all the time). It failed to adopt a correct terminology system though: describing Buryat agricultural practices with words that may only have been used to talk about places where English ... See more
I fed it a short and simple text because it would certainly screw up a difficult one. The translation read pretty smoothly, it had no major language errors except for maybe one little "meh!" on account of the same preposition being used for two nouns that should have been declined differently (lazy humans do it all the time). It failed to adopt a correct terminology system though: describing Buryat agricultural practices with words that may only have been used to talk about places where English is spoken was probably a bad idea. Haven't tried documents with fancy layouts; I'll probably try later. What I hate is having two documents to work on and no way to make a .xliff out of them without a painstaking alignment process (Trados has always sucked at it; maybe some other aligners do a better job). Seriously, I don't know how people just sit there moving their eyes back and forth between two documents opened on their screen – or even on two screens. I just need all my sentences sitting right opposite each other in neat pairs of segments. I only work in Office applications if the document is really small. So there, a fun toy to play with if you're a translator and you're bored, but not a working tool, not for me anywayCollapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Er Aug 17, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:
You tell us, Tom... is this any good?

Tom's British, not Italian.

Mr. Satan (X)
Sebastian Witte

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
MT and AI Aug 17, 2023

Tom in London wrote:
I use tools when I find them useful. Screws, for example, are an amazing invention that changed the world and that I have adopted with alacrity; but I don't think screws are going to transform the whole gamut of human existence. It's the same with AI.

I suppose it depends on your criteria that constitute a substantial transformation. To me, the internet (or Internet, if you're old school) was certainly a catalyst that fundamentally shaped the modern world we're living today. Apple's original iPhone was another one. I'm still on the fence whether I'd want to lump ChatGPT and co. in the same category.

MT is completely useless for subtitles - and everything else. GT, Deepl, and all those other MT engines simply perform Stage 1 of a translation and remove a lot of the donkey work of typing out the initial rough draft. MT engines cannot and never will be able to then perform the subsequent stages.

True, I agree. They were never designed for anything beyond the drafting process. But any professional translators know that. Even the most hardcore MT fan in these forums still opined the machine outputs need editing before delivery.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:
I’ve used Deepl very, very occasionally (when I am extremely tired or have some pain in my right hand) as a very rough draft just to speed the typing up a bit. The big advantage over GT is that it allows you to choose between PT(pt) and PT(br). From my very little experience I’d say that GT’s output is unreliable in comparison with Deepl.

This is interesting. I get an impression that DeepL works best with popular European languages, whereas GT tends to do better with low resource languages like mine. I've also heard Yandex's MT is good for Russian and some Eastern European languages. Could anyone confirm if these are true?

[Edited at 2023-08-17 12:36 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Ice Aug 17, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

I thought Tom was Irish... (and Ireland is not in Britain).

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Northern Ireland Aug 18, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

Ice Scream wrote:

I thought Tom was Irish... (and Ireland is not in Britain).

Northern Ireland is.

P.S.
Unless you're strictly referring to the island, then yes, it isn't.

[Edited at 2023-08-18 00:04 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Would you like to step outside for a moment? Aug 18, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

Tom is Irish.

Christopher Schröder
Mr. Satan (X)
Sebastian Witte

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My thoughts about GT... Aug 18, 2023

... due to personal "circumcisions", it's dangerous but funny at the same time.

Captura de ecrã 2023-08-18 152109

I've never used GT even to try to "decipher" other non-Latin languages, but I do use DeepL if I need it and I think it's a good tool.

Thomas T. Frost
Zea_Mays
mk_lab

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Magellan Aug 18, 2023

This has reminded me of the famous school history examination howler:

Magellan circumcised the world with his 40 foot clipper.

Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis
Jorge Payan
Philip Lees
Sebastian Witte

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
After my last post, Aug 24, 2023

I was wondering if GT, AI, and alike could be useful to make good comedy films instead of being used in other areas?

Captura de ecrã 2023-08-24 160848

[Edited at 2023-08-24 15:20 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Tom in London

Nourhane Atmani
Nourhane Atmani
Algeria
Member (2023)
English to Arabic
+ ...
well Oct 4, 2023

It's not the worse. However, I think there are much better platforms

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are your thoughts about Google Translate documents and images sections?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »