Blanca Collazo
Blanca Collazo  Identity Verified
بورتوريكو
Local time: 14:42
أنجليزي إلى إسباني
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
CV/Resumes Jul 28, 2013

Wow, I never thought I would read so much about the topic posted. I am very thankful to all; there are no more doubts in my mind about this.
Thank you Madieh and Natalie for the websites suggestions.
I agree that a résumé should be short and to the point, but how far back should you include? A year? Two?

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
الهند
Local time: 00:12
عضو (2006)
أنجليزي إلى هندي
+ ...
مترجم الموقع
I don't want to complicate this further, but there is biodata too Jul 29, 2013

Biodata more or less means the same as cv (course of life).

In India, in most job situations, it is the biodata that is asked for, not resume or cv.

The following wikipedia article in the last para explains the special context in which this word is used in India:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodata

Mine is a combination of a resume and a cv. The f
... See more
Biodata more or less means the same as cv (course of life).

In India, in most job situations, it is the biodata that is asked for, not resume or cv.

The following wikipedia article in the last para explains the special context in which this word is used in India:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodata

Mine is a combination of a resume and a cv. The first page has all the essential info such as language combination, education, contact details, software, expertise, etc., plus my mug shot (a concession to the requirements of a biodata!). The later pages have a more cv like structure where I list all the important work I have done.

So clients can treat the first page as a resume or a biodata and if they need more details, they can delve deeper into the document.

I haven't worked much on my resume/biodata/cv for a long time now, I just keep adding the important projects handled now and then.

If you want to take a look at it, you can download it from my proz.com profile.

[Edited at 2013-07-29 05:09 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
أسبانيا
Local time: 19:42
عضو (2007)
أنجليزي
+ ...
what is relevant? Jul 29, 2013

Blanca Collazo wrote:

Wow, I never thought I would read so much about the topic posted. I am very thankful to all; there are no more doubts in my mind about this.
I agree that a résumé should be short and to the point, but how far back should you include? A year? Two?

Include everything that's relevant, and nothing that isn't. Dates are largely irrelevant, except where they relate to areas that change very fast. I was a programmer back in the 1970s but I hardly think my knowledge of punching cards and reading foot-high dumps would be relevant today. However, some things I did 15 years ago are still relevant.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
بولندا
Local time: 20:42
أنجليزي إلى بولندي
+ ...
Graduation dates etc. might be relevant Jul 29, 2013

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Blanca Collazo wrote:

Include everything that's relevant, and nothing that isn't. Dates are largely irrelevant, except where they relate to areas that change very fast. I was a programmer back in the 1970s but I hardly think my knowledge of punching cards and reading foot-high dumps would be relevant today. However, some things I did 15 years ago are still relevant.

Basically, if omitting dates made it harder to determine experience, it would be good to include the dates and potentially bad to exclude them. Lawyers are a similar profession, and if their opinion (in the USA) isn't overwhelmingly against skipping dates, then it's at least divided on the subject. Also, in some cases clients may not really care but still prefer to be told.

[Edited at 2013-07-29 07:55 GMT]

Neptunia
Neptunia
Local time: 20:42
إيطالي إلى أنجليزي
culture specific Jul 29, 2013

Just a warning - - when I first saw Italian CVs I was a bit shocked because they almost all include details like birthdate and gender and some even include a percentage rating of official disability. It is possible they even listed marital status but that has probably gone by the wayside in the last ten years (I hope!). None of those details would be normally included on an American CV or resume though of course an employer might try to figure out your gender from your name and your age from the... See more
Just a warning - - when I first saw Italian CVs I was a bit shocked because they almost all include details like birthdate and gender and some even include a percentage rating of official disability. It is possible they even listed marital status but that has probably gone by the wayside in the last ten years (I hope!). None of those details would be normally included on an American CV or resume though of course an employer might try to figure out your gender from your name and your age from the dates you earned your degrees. The lesson here is you must really examine some models for the country that you are targeting. I think a complete work experience is valuable to include especially if it demonstrates exposure to fields that you claim as specializations though very early and irrelevant jobs can be ditched in favor of conciseness.Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
أسبانيا
Local time: 19:42
عضو (2007)
أنجليزي
+ ...
I agree, Łukasz Jul 29, 2013

Sorry, I didn't mean that dates of your major qualifications were of no importance. I quite agree that they might well be, and I'd always include them on my own CV. They are career milestones.

No, I was referring to experience, where the fact that you translated a very specific technical text five years ago, rather than yesterday, does not invalidate the experience. If the technical jargon has moved on so much since your experience that it's really no longer relevant to today's text
... See more
Sorry, I didn't mean that dates of your major qualifications were of no importance. I quite agree that they might well be, and I'd always include them on my own CV. They are career milestones.

No, I was referring to experience, where the fact that you translated a very specific technical text five years ago, rather than yesterday, does not invalidate the experience. If the technical jargon has moved on so much since your experience that it's really no longer relevant to today's texts (as in my own example), then I question the relevance of including that experience in the CV at all, which is why you will find no mention of IT in mine even though I spent 10 years as an analyst/programmer.

What I really hate to see is a freelance translator's CV with everything in reverse chronological order, as though the owner is applying for a job and has rigidly followed a 20-year-old template. The worst ones even have the languages section at the bottom of the page!
Collapse

صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Resume/CV: what is the difference?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »