The challenges of translation for Facebook

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "The challenges of translation for Facebook".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:31
Russian to English
+ ...
Yeah--it will be hard, I guess even if the technology got Apr 26, 2017

better, because language is a collection of idiolects basically, with some shared features. The only solution would be to forbid slang anywhere on the internet, and create glossaries of the words to use. Also a book with simplified grammar instructions might be useful. Don't take it seriously, please. At least not now. I cannot see any other solution, though.

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:31
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Really? Apr 26, 2017

"So, Ayan explained, Facebook takes monolingual data (i.e., text), runs it through machine translation, and, voilà, an artificial corpus of bilingual data is created. Apparently, using a large machine-generated parallel corpus to train an NMT system is still better than using a high quality but only small corpus."

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The challenges of translation for Facebook

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »