Best Interpreting MA in London: Westminster or Metropolitan?
Thread poster: Martina Eco
Martina Eco
Martina Eco  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:25
English to Italian
Dec 18, 2013

Hello everyone,

I am an Italian freelance interpreter and translator. I already have an Italian MA in Translation and Interpreting and a 1st level Italian Master in Conference Interpreting.

Now, the plan is to move to London next year, for a number of reasons: because I LOVE the city, because I have a lot of friends there, because I want to improve improve improve my English, and because I heard that interpreters are paid waaay better there.

So I was thinki
... See more
Hello everyone,

I am an Italian freelance interpreter and translator. I already have an Italian MA in Translation and Interpreting and a 1st level Italian Master in Conference Interpreting.

Now, the plan is to move to London next year, for a number of reasons: because I LOVE the city, because I have a lot of friends there, because I want to improve improve improve my English, and because I heard that interpreters are paid waaay better there.

So I was thinking that maybe spending another year studying could be a good idea. I did my researches online and I found two universities offering Interpreting MAs in London: Metropolitan and Westminster. I like both courses, but it's very hard to understand which one is the best one.

Did any of you study there? What do you think about these universities? Did they REALLY help you build professional experience and how? What are the best three features of the university you studied in and what are the worst three?

I'm basically looking for an inside point of view. Any information will be much appreciated.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Martina
Collapse

Andrea Alvisi (X)
Andrea Alvisi (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 22:25
English to Italian
+ ...
Not Westminster Dec 18, 2013

Ciao Martina,

As far as I am aware, the MA at Westminster university was closed a couple of years ago due to lack of funding (and it sparked a massive outcry). Some of my students (both English and Italian native speakers) tried to apply for this academic year but experienced either delays in the process with no results or no answer whatsoever from the university.

As for London Metropolitan, I heard mixed reviews about the MA offered there. People claim it focuses more
... See more
Ciao Martina,

As far as I am aware, the MA at Westminster university was closed a couple of years ago due to lack of funding (and it sparked a massive outcry). Some of my students (both English and Italian native speakers) tried to apply for this academic year but experienced either delays in the process with no results or no answer whatsoever from the university.

As for London Metropolitan, I heard mixed reviews about the MA offered there. People claim it focuses more on the theory behind interpreting rather than actual interpreting classes.

If you already have two MA (or equivalents), I don't really see the point in applying and sitting through the umpteenth one. There are plenty of summer schools for interpreters to brush up on your skills, if you're interested, but be advised they tend to be quite expensive.

As for the pay being higher in London... Well, that is partially true, although the prices in general in London are sky high if compared to some areas in Italy. Maybe wait for someone who lives there to shed some more light!

In bocca al lupo
Collapse

Martina Eco
Martina Eco  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Interpreting MA still on Westminster website Dec 18, 2013

Well, I wonder why the MA is still online if they closed it O.o
http://www.westminster.ac.uk/courses/subjects/languages/postgraduate-courses/full-time/p09fpinp-ma-interpreting
(something like this happened a few years ago with the University of Bologna and an Audiovisual Translation MA... they had the course page o
... See more
Well, I wonder why the MA is still online if they closed it O.o
http://www.westminster.ac.uk/courses/subjects/languages/postgraduate-courses/full-time/p09fpinp-ma-interpreting
(something like this happened a few years ago with the University of Bologna and an Audiovisual Translation MA... they had the course page online despite the fact that there was no money for it).

I am also considering summer schools, but they are VERY expensive. And I think that studying the "same" subject from a different perspective could be very useful - a different mindset, a different way of teaching/learning, new environment...

My second choice is a Marketing or International Business Management MA, but since interpreting is my job (and my passion!), I thought I might go deeper and study interpreting a little bit more (2 years, I think, is not enough!). Oh, and I miss being a student

As for prices in London... well, I know rents are very expensive, but I did my maths and in the end, the price difference between London and Milan or Rome is not that huge. Same thing applies to transportation: 1000+ GBP/year for an Oyster card may look superexpensive, but how much do you spend every year if you own a car in Italy? Answer: a lot more!

[Edited at 2013-12-18 15:06 GMT]
Collapse

clairetransl (X)
clairetransl (X)
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Westminster has a good reputation Dec 23, 2013

I have no idea whether the Westminster MA is still going (see above), but one of my friends did that course and was really happy with it. I know it has a good reputation here in London.

As for the pay...I'm not an interpreter so can't comment on pay rates for that, but the pay for most language-related work in London is pretty low and if you're only getting sporadic work like interpreting jobs, you could get into difficulties pretty quickly. I know Milan and Rome are expensive, but
... See more
I have no idea whether the Westminster MA is still going (see above), but one of my friends did that course and was really happy with it. I know it has a good reputation here in London.

As for the pay...I'm not an interpreter so can't comment on pay rates for that, but the pay for most language-related work in London is pretty low and if you're only getting sporadic work like interpreting jobs, you could get into difficulties pretty quickly. I know Milan and Rome are expensive, but London is getting more and more expensive rent-wise and transport-wise. I did my MA here in London and found it very tough to live as a student, and I had a part-time teaching job as well as a scholarship.
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Best Interpreting MA in London: Westminster or Metropolitan?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »