Thread poster: Sara Canullo
Sara Canullo
Sara Canullo
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 8, 2013

Hello all,

I used to be a full time freelance translator in Italy a few years ago. I now live in the Uk again and started doing some bits and pieces of freelance on top of my full time job. Does anyone know how taxes work if I am freelancing on top of working full time. I understand that I will have to do a self - assessment in January?

Thank you for your help

Sara

Stefania Greci
Stefania Greci  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:12
English to Italian
+ ...
HMRC Website Nov 8, 2013

Hi Sara,
fortunately the system in the UK is much easier than the one in Italy.

I was in a similar situation some time ago and I had a part-time job and a freelance income.

At the end of the financial year you will sum up your income and only pay taxes if you go above a certain threshold, not sure how much it's this year.

You will find a lot of useful information on the Inland Revenue website (self-em
... See more
Hi Sara,
fortunately the system in the UK is much easier than the one in Italy.

I was in a similar situation some time ago and I had a part-time job and a freelance income.

At the end of the financial year you will sum up your income and only pay taxes if you go above a certain threshold, not sure how much it's this year.

You will find a lot of useful information on the Inland Revenue website (self-employed section).

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/selfemployed/

HMRC also run workshops for people who are just starting as self-employed.

Stefania
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:12
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes Nov 8, 2013

scanullo wrote:

Hello all,

I used to be a full time freelance translator in Italy a few years ago. I now live in the Uk again and started doing some bits and pieces of freelance on top of my full time job. Does anyone know how taxes work if I am freelancing on top of working full time. I understand that I will have to do a self - assessment in January?

Thank you for your help

Sara

Yes, you need to register with HMRC as self-employed. They will then send you a Tax Return form each year. This will include separate pages where you record your income as an Employee and your self-employed income.

The form itself isn't very complicated but you also need to keep careful records of your income and expenses. For at least the first year I would strongly suggest you seek the advice of an accountant.

We are not allowed to recommend particular accountants in these forums.

Sara Canullo
Sara Canullo
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 8, 2013

Thank you both for your advice - much appreciated as i wasn't sure where to start!

I will both look at the HMRC website guidance and look into seeking help from an accountant.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Help - full time job plus freelance

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »