Thread poster: Valentina C.
Valentina C.
Valentina C.
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:53
English to Italian
Jun 19, 2013

Hi everyone,

I need some information that I cannot find in the HMRC website and maybe someone of you have the answers I am looking for.

In the beginning of July I will go to Italy from UK for summer holiday until the end of August, then I will move to Malta where I will register as self-employed. I cannot register until I will be there as I need an address and to go to the VAT department in person.

I have already submitted my Self-Assessment and payed all t
... See more
Hi everyone,

I need some information that I cannot find in the HMRC website and maybe someone of you have the answers I am looking for.

In the beginning of July I will go to Italy from UK for summer holiday until the end of August, then I will move to Malta where I will register as self-employed. I cannot register until I will be there as I need an address and to go to the VAT department in person.

I have already submitted my Self-Assessment and payed all taxes (also the ones I should pay before the 31st January 2014). I know how to close the self-employed in the UK through the HMRC website and in the online form there are the fields to insert a foreign address, but I have a question about it: I have just received a job offer for a project starting in the beginning of July and I am waiting for an answer about another project at the end of June; I will move the 3rd of July from the UK, so I won't live at the same address anymore and this means I will need to deliver my invoices at the end of July. The problem is that I won't be a UK resident in that moment and my address will be changed, so what can I do?

Can I continue working until I will send the last invoice in July even if I will move the 3rd of the month? I could close my self-employed in the beginning of August.

or

Do I have to close the self-employed now and sending my invoice in September/October when I will be registered in the new country? Could this be a problem for the agency?

I don't want they give the project to someone else, it is an important ongoing project for me.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks.
Collapse

Charlotte Farrell
Charlotte Farrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Speak to the Agency and HMRC Jun 19, 2013

I think your best bet is to speak to HMRC about this on the phone. The last time I spoke to them they were surprisingly friendly and helpful and they'll be able to give you information directly from the horse's mouth. Once you've spoken to them, you can speak to the agency and explain the situation. I reckon that there won't be a problem from the agency's point of view - as long as you do a good job and deliver on time as you always would they shouldn't care too much about the details of the inv... See more
I think your best bet is to speak to HMRC about this on the phone. The last time I spoke to them they were surprisingly friendly and helpful and they'll be able to give you information directly from the horse's mouth. Once you've spoken to them, you can speak to the agency and explain the situation. I reckon that there won't be a problem from the agency's point of view - as long as you do a good job and deliver on time as you always would they shouldn't care too much about the details of the invoice. As long as you inform them that you might be invoicing for the job a few months later than normal (if that is the case) then there shouldn't be an issue.

On another note, I'm also going to be moving to Malta in September/October (but only for six months or so) if you want to meet a fellow translator while you're there!
Collapse

Valentina C.
Valentina C.
United Kingdom
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Good! Jun 19, 2013

Thank you very much Charlotte. The only problem in calling HMRC is that they have a number for every problem, but I cannot find the one related to moving abroad.

I don't think sending the invoice later would be a problem for the agency: usually their payments are very slow and arrive always late, so maybe it is better for them.

Meeting in Malta is a very good idea!

Charlotte Farrell
Charlotte Farrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
:) Jun 19, 2013

I'm actually planning on calling HMRC myself at some point this week to ask about a couple of things, including asking about going to Malta (I ideally want to continue paying tax to the UK but not Malta as I'm there for under a year) so I can try and find out who's the best person for you to talk to if I remember to ask!

Valentina C.
Valentina C.
United Kingdom
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Eh eh eh Jun 19, 2013

Ok, thank you very much, I will try to call someone of HMRC even if I will use a wrong number. Maybe they can give me the right one.

Valentina C.
Valentina C.
United Kingdom
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
I've just called HMRC Jun 19, 2013

I would like to post here my experience in case someone needs the same information.

HMRC told me that I can keep the self-employed registration, the only thing to do is to advice them about the change of address and giving the foreign address. Then, when I will have the new document from the new country, I can close the self-employed online.

That's it. I hope this can help.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Moving from UK - Closing Self-employed

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »