Maria Simmen
Maria Simmen
Germany
Local time: 17:45
English to German
+ ...
May 1, 2013

Hello,

I started my tax return for the previous year and already ran into a problem: the field called "Turnover - takings, fees, sales or money earned by your business".

It sounds simple enough but I'm wondering if I have to look at amounts I invoiced during the tax year or the money that actually went into my account. In the HMRC help pages it says "It is the money due to you up to your end of year – whether or not you have actually been paid." This seems to call fo
... See more
Hello,

I started my tax return for the previous year and already ran into a problem: the field called "Turnover - takings, fees, sales or money earned by your business".

It sounds simple enough but I'm wondering if I have to look at amounts I invoiced during the tax year or the money that actually went into my account. In the HMRC help pages it says "It is the money due to you up to your end of year – whether or not you have actually been paid." This seems to call for the amounts invoiced BUT - and this is why I'm confused - I used to have a tax adviser and distinctly remember him telling me that it's the statements that matter, i. e. the money that I have actually earned.

Did legislation change or maybe there are different rules for different kinds of bussineses?

Any input is much appreciated!
Collapse

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:45
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Accountant May 1, 2013

If this the first year you are filling in a self-assessment tax return in the UK or there are fields which you think have changed from last year and you are not sure what you are doing then perhaps it's worth considering an accountant who, for a relatively modest (and tax-deductible) fee, will make the task simpler for you and allow you to get on with translating

Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Hi Maria May 1, 2013

I understand this as the amount invoiced between 06 April (of a given year) to 05 April (of the next year), i.e. in one UK tax year, regardless of whether you´ve received it all by the deadline or not. That´s my take on it anyway...

Best Regards,
Manuela

Clive Phillips
Clive Phillips  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Money due by end of tax year May 1, 2013

Hi Maria

According to the HMRC's SA103f page SEFN6, 'turnover - takings, fees, sales or money earned by your business' is

"...the money due to you up to your year-end or accounting date, whether
or not you have actually been paid."

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/worksheets/sa103f-notes.pdf

Happy accounting!
Clive

[Edited at
... See more
Hi Maria

According to the HMRC's SA103f page SEFN6, 'turnover - takings, fees, sales or money earned by your business' is

"...the money due to you up to your year-end or accounting date, whether
or not you have actually been paid."

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/worksheets/sa103f-notes.pdf

Happy accounting!
Clive

[Edited at 2013-05-01 09:47 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Simmen
Maria Simmen
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 1, 2013

Thank you all very much for the quick replies and confirming my reading of the explanations!

Lisa - it's not the first year I'm filing a tax return but it's the first year I'm intent on managing on my own. Plenty of time to get the pros in in case things go wrong

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Things have indeed changed May 1, 2013

Maria Bruessler wrote:

Did legislation change

Not legislation as such, but yes. A few years ago, you could chose whether to use cash accounting or accrual accounting. These days, HMRC more or less insist on accrual. Hard to enforce, obviously, other than through inspection, but as you have noticed, their guidance is now all directed towards accrual accounting methods (except in the case of VAT returns).

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Things have changed back! May 30, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmU2EbUNgiQ&feature=youtu.be

see also http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_the_uk/250052-hmrc_video_on_simpler_tax_from_2013_2014.html

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

UK tax return - question on calculating income

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »