Thread poster: Weronika Tomaszewska-Collins
Weronika Tomaszewska-Collins
Weronika Tomaszewska-Collins  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 10:01
English to Polish
+ ...
Nov 3, 2009

Hi. I have a question regarding translation copyrights in the UK - maybe someone knows anything more about it and would be able to help.

The situation is: I translated some texts for website Y. The translated source texts come from website X - which the website Y admin provided link to, so everything is legal here.
There is also a website Z - whose administrator keeps stealing the translated texts from website Y and pastes rhem onto his website as his own, providing only refer
... See more
Hi. I have a question regarding translation copyrights in the UK - maybe someone knows anything more about it and would be able to help.

The situation is: I translated some texts for website Y. The translated source texts come from website X - which the website Y admin provided link to, so everything is legal here.
There is also a website Z - whose administrator keeps stealing the translated texts from website Y and pastes rhem onto his website as his own, providing only reference to source X.
Obviously the admin of website Y is a little bit upset, as he had paid for the translations to be done and now someone is simply stealing them from him.

Does anyone know how the UK law applies with regards to copyright when it comes to translations?

I would be grateful for any information.
Collapse

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:01
English to French
+ ...
Just say the content is copyrighted Nov 25, 2009

Hello, not an expert here, but what if the owner or manager of the site added a "These translations are copyrighted content, no reproduction of the translation - even partial - allowed without prior consent" on all the pages on is site? Seems like a logical first step.

Solution 1/

http://www.copyscape.com/

A paying service, but this is exactly what they do. Protect
... See more
Hello, not an expert here, but what if the owner or manager of the site added a "These translations are copyrighted content, no reproduction of the translation - even partial - allowed without prior consent" on all the pages on is site? Seems like a logical first step.

Solution 1/

http://www.copyscape.com/

A paying service, but this is exactly what they do. Protect your contents, inclusive of translations

2/ Otherwise, for all new content, the site manager could take witnesses or find a way to prove date of posting for new translated content. When this is done, should website Z copy any content, site owner will be able to demonstrate that Z did so despite the presence of a copyright.

Then, you can call the lawyers in. Only thing is, it may prove vurrrrry costly. I'd go for solution 1, seems much better.

Hope this helps
Collapse

urbom
urbom
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Hmmm..... Nov 25, 2009

Weronika Tomaszewska-Collins wrote:

The translated source texts come from website X - which the website Y admin provided link to, so everything is legal here.

Did Website Y obtain permission from Website X to post a translated version of Website X's content?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:01
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
A question from a non-UK person Nov 25, 2009

Weronika Tomaszewska-Collins wrote:
I translated some texts for website Y. The translated source texts come from website X. ... There is also a website Z, whose administrator keeps stealing the translated texts from website Y, ... providing only reference to source X.

Obviously the admin of website Y is a little bit upset, as he had paid for the translations to be done and now someone is simply stealing them from him.

I'm not knowledgeable about UK law, but I have question: Is the administrator of web site Y the copyright holder of either the source texts or the translations? Or is he simply the owner of the translations (and possibly also of the source texts)?

Here's the way I see it (please correct me if I'm wrong): The content (and its copyright) belongs to web site X, who licenses it to other web sites to be used (or translated), but the terms of the license state that those other web sites should link back to web site X.

The administrator from web site Z thinks that he complies with the license from web site X by linking to web site X, but the administrator of web site Z does not realise that translated content is licensed separately and has separate copyright. Therefore, unless web site Z has permission from the copyright holder (which may actually be you, and not the person who paid you to do the translation), he is guilty of breach of copyright.

But I'm now lawyer, and I'm certainly no UK lawyer either.

urbom
urbom
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
we need more information Nov 25, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

The content (and its copyright) belongs to web site X, who licenses it to other web sites to be used (or translated), but the terms of the license state that those other web sites should link back to web site X.

(emphasis added)

It's not at all clear from the original post whether this is in fact what happened -- that's what I was driving at in my question above.

If "Website Y" has simply commissioned translations of the original site's content and merely supplied a link back to the source, then Website Y's hands are not completely clean either.

United Arab Emirates
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Response Nov 29, 2009

urbom wrote:

Did Website Y obtain permission from Website X to post a translated version of Website X's content?

I think so. I was just dealing with translations, however, the website administrator said he has permission. Of course I have no means of checking it as he is my direct Client and not website X.

United Arab Emirates
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Copyright for website X Nov 29, 2009

urbom wrote:

If "Website Y" has simply commissioned translations of the original site's content and merely supplied a link back to the source, then Website Y's hands are not completely clean either.

I have actually checked and the copyright applying to website X is explained in the following way:

You may re-use the information on this website free of charge in any format, but you must:

* re-use the information accurately
* acknowledge the source of the information

As I have already obtained a confirmation from a UK lawyer regarding translations copyright, it seems that website Z administrator does not have the right to use the translations as their own.

Thank you all for your help.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Translation copyright in the UK

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »