carlos cegarra sanmartin
carlos cegarra sanmartin  Identity Verified
西班牙
Local time: 08:15
English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
+ ...
Jul 31, 2006

Hi all,

I've got a Translation Memory (Trados Freelance 7) of about 390K and I am trying to export it and send it by email I and import it from another computer. The file that I manage to send is a .tmx file but rather small, about 14K, and the icon of workbench disappears.

On the other hand, when I send the translation memory as a Trados Translation Memory I manage to send a 390K file with the Translator Workbench icon, but after downloading it with another computer I
... See more
Hi all,

I've got a Translation Memory (Trados Freelance 7) of about 390K and I am trying to export it and send it by email I and import it from another computer. The file that I manage to send is a .tmx file but rather small, about 14K, and the icon of workbench disappears.

On the other hand, when I send the translation memory as a Trados Translation Memory I manage to send a 390K file with the Translator Workbench icon, but after downloading it with another computer I cannot open it. When clicking on it a dialogue box says that "an errored ocurred when trying to verify the licence. Please check the installation and try again". If he tries to open it from workbench the status bar says that cannot find the specific file...

Could anybody tell me how can I easily export/import a TM from one computer to another??

Thank you very much

Carlos Cegarra
Collapse

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English英语译成Polish波兰语
+ ...
14K seems very small Jul 31, 2006

Especially that an export file has font information on the beginning. In my case it's more than 14K.

I had a problem with license file too. It seems to me, that TRADOS need sime time to record information that a file is not open anymore. Before copying, close TRADOS and wait a while. Or better yet copy files BEFORE you start TRADOS. Still import/export should be the best way.

By the way: it happened that my exports were truncated (TRADOS 7.0 - an
... See more
Especially that an export file has font information on the beginning. In my case it's more than 14K.

I had a problem with license file too. It seems to me, that TRADOS need sime time to record information that a file is not open anymore. Before copying, close TRADOS and wait a while. Or better yet copy files BEFORE you start TRADOS. Still import/export should be the best way.

By the way: it happened that my exports were truncated (TRADOS 7.0 - an index was broken). Trados 7.1 exported the whole file.
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German德语
+ ...
Import, not open Jul 31, 2006

Carlos, you talk about importing, yet you double-click on the file in Explorer. This means you're trying to open it when you should import it.

You need to create a new, empty TM in Trados and then import, not open, the file you exported into that new TM. See the relevant information in your Trados on-line manual if in doubt.

HTH,
Benjamin

... See more
Carlos, you talk about importing, yet you double-click on the file in Explorer. This means you're trying to open it when you should import it.

You need to create a new, empty TM in Trados and then import, not open, the file you exported into that new TM. See the relevant information in your Trados on-line manual if in doubt.

HTH,
Benjamin

P.S.: 14 kB sounds about right for such a small TM.
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
德国
正式会员 (自2004)
English英语译成Slovenian斯洛文尼亚语
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
One more way to do it Jul 31, 2006

to zip it (actually "them" - there's a tmw and a 3 index files) and carry it over to the target system without involving import/export.

Import/export is meant for parts of the translation memory - of course if it is small enough, you can do that with the ocmplete memory as well .

And ... it makes sense to have a memory stick with all - or most important - TMs. Then this import/export problem becomes a non-issue.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German德语
+ ...
Mind the numbers Jul 31, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:

to zip it (actually "them" - there's a tmw and a 3 index files) and carry it over to the target system without involving import/export.

Good idea, but there are 4 index files, actually.
5 files total.

Regards,
Benjamin

carlos cegarra sanmartin
carlos cegarra sanmartin  Identity Verified
西班牙
English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
+ ...
主题发起人
got it! Aug 1, 2006

Thank you very much dear colleagues, this forum is absolutely fantastic, congratulations to all of you!!

Carlos

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Export/import Translation Memory Trados Freelance 7

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »