Thread poster: Mats Linder
Mats Linder
Mats Linder  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 08:55
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 17, 2023

Permit me to share with you what Paul Filkin has to say about my Trados Studio manual (I did not ask him to; it is a spontaneous statement):

"as a single author without the sort of constraints we see in a larger enterprise I think your manual offers tremendous value... at least that would be my personal view. I think your writing style, method of explaining things that can often be complex and confusing, and most importantly the fact you easily pick up on things that need better exp
... See more
Permit me to share with you what Paul Filkin has to say about my Trados Studio manual (I did not ask him to; it is a spontaneous statement):

"as a single author without the sort of constraints we see in a larger enterprise I think your manual offers tremendous value... at least that would be my personal view. I think your writing style, method of explaining things that can often be complex and confusing, and most importantly the fact you easily pick up on things that need better explanation than our technical writers would has created a manual every Studio user would benefit from owning."

Nice, eh? (If you are interested in the manual, this is the URL:
https://tradosstudiomanual.com )
Collapse

Enza Esposito Degli Agli
expressisverbis
Susan Murphy Lamprecht
Zea_Mays

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:55
English to Turkish
Very insightful indeed Oct 17, 2023

Isn't that guy working for Trados or a Trados endorser of sorts? What else were you expecting him to say?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
RE: working for Trados Oct 17, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

Isn't that guy working for Trados or a Trados endorser of sorts? What else were you expecting him to say?
Paul Filkin is one of the top experts in Trados working for RWS (I add [one of] just to be polite to other RWS staff members). Unlike him, Mats Linder does not work for RWS, and such appreciation of a non-staff member's work by a lead staff member is no small feat. A decade ago I translated a manual for Western Standard (a developer of another much less popular CAT tool). They didn't even say thank you. Almost a good 700-page manual is a monumental work indeed. It is very nice of Paul to appreciate it.

[Edited at 2023-10-17 12:54 GMT]

expressisverbis
Paul Malone

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
My apologies Oct 17, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:
Paul Filkin is one of the top experts in Trados working for RWS (I add [one of] just to be polite to other RWS staff members). Unlike him, Mats Linder does not work for RWS, and such appreciation of a non-staff member's work by a lead staff member is no small feat. A decade ago I translated a manual for Western Standard (a developer of another much less popular CAT tool). They didn't even say thank you. Almost a good 700-page manual is a monumental work indeed. It is very nice of Paul to appreciate it.

Looks like I got this completely wrong. Sorry.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 07:55
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thank you Oct 18, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

A few months ago I had a very tricky problem with Trados and Paul Filkin was very helpful!
He was patient and analysed in detail what was happening. He and his team managed to solve the problem on the same day.
What's more, he's an active voice in the RWS community, always willing to help.
I find what Stepan tells us very ungrateful. Unfortunately, some people don't know how to recognise with gratitude what others do for us.
So thank you to those who compile these manuals, and even more to those who help for free without asking for anything in return.
A short and simple "thank you" costs nothing.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Trados Studio manual - Paul Filkin's opinion

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »