Studio 2019: can't reset license or deactivate offline
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Sep 13, 2023

Has anyone here encountered the problem of being unable to reset a Studio 2019 license or deactivate the software offline using the RWS portal? I forgot to deactivate before upgrading the SSD in my laptop. After the upgrade, Studio told me it was not activated and refused to accept the valid activation key displayed on the portal. I tried to reset the license or deactivate it offline but both links took me to an error page. Luckily, the issue is not urgent but the licensing system should never l... See more
Has anyone here encountered the problem of being unable to reset a Studio 2019 license or deactivate the software offline using the RWS portal? I forgot to deactivate before upgrading the SSD in my laptop. After the upgrade, Studio told me it was not activated and refused to accept the valid activation key displayed on the portal. I tried to reset the license or deactivate it offline but both links took me to an error page. Luckily, the issue is not urgent but the licensing system should never lock a legitimate user out of their legally purchased software licenses, and at least one automated method should just work.Collapse

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 09:12
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Artem Sep 13, 2023

I recommend you get in touch with RWS. I think only them can help you with that.

[Edited at 2023-09-13 19:56 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Roy Oestensen
Roy Chacón

Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update: activation restored by undoing the upgrade, portal issues ongoing (disappearing licenses) Sep 14, 2023

Update: I was able to restore make Studio 2019 work again by reinstalling my old SSD. Meanwhile, there are ongoing technical issues on the portal—reset and offline deactivation don't work, valid licenses disappear from the Licenses page.

In addition, to my dismay, I was reminded that legally purchased Studio 2011 and 2007 cannot be (de)activated anymore if they stop working for some reason. I find it outrageous that the company hasn't bothered to give their customers a way to cont
... See more
Update: I was able to restore make Studio 2019 work again by reinstalling my old SSD. Meanwhile, there are ongoing technical issues on the portal—reset and offline deactivation don't work, valid licenses disappear from the Licenses page.

In addition, to my dismay, I was reminded that legally purchased Studio 2011 and 2007 cannot be (de)activated anymore if they stop working for some reason. I find it outrageous that the company hasn't bothered to give their customers a way to continue running the software they bought indefinitely, in a "static" way, without reliance on activation schemes. I'm leaving the profession soon so that may have less of an impact on me personally, but still. I kept the old SDL Trados versions as a fallback in case something happens with my Studio 2019.

Increasingly, it looks like accepting the overhead of virtualization is a must these day if you want to avoid losing what you paid for. Well, unless unethical software vendors start detecting VMs and making the software refuse to run inside one.
Collapse

expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2019: can't reset license or deactivate offline

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »