Highlighting of your own translated words in Trados target files
Thread poster: Poppy Gemmell
Poppy Gemmell
Poppy Gemmell
United Kingdom
Sep 2, 2023

Hi everyone,

I get a lot of jobs in which many segments in my files are pre-translated (several thousand words per file.) I'm not paid anything to check these, yet my customer insists on a target file export and side-by-side comparison of the source and target files. I'm also only provided with plain source files with no highlighting of the text parts that I am responsible for.

Ultimately this means I'm doing hours of unpaid work accidentally checking sections that I d
... See more
Hi everyone,

I get a lot of jobs in which many segments in my files are pre-translated (several thousand words per file.) I'm not paid anything to check these, yet my customer insists on a target file export and side-by-side comparison of the source and target files. I'm also only provided with plain source files with no highlighting of the text parts that I am responsible for.

Ultimately this means I'm doing hours of unpaid work accidentally checking sections that I didn't translate. Is there any way, upon completion of a file, to export it as a target file (e.g. Word document) with the parts that I have translated only highlighted?

Thank you
Collapse

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 09:57
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
See if this helps you: Sep 2, 2023

Use the "Advanced Display Filter" function in the "Vew" menu.
Then, filter the pre-translated segments in "Filter Attributes" and click "Draft" (pre-translated segments). After that, click on "Highlight", select a colour and click on "Apply Filter".
This will list all the segments that have already been translated.
When you've finished your own translation, try exporting the file as "Export for Bilingual review".
This way you will have the pre-translated segments highlig
... See more
Use the "Advanced Display Filter" function in the "Vew" menu.
Then, filter the pre-translated segments in "Filter Attributes" and click "Draft" (pre-translated segments). After that, click on "Highlight", select a colour and click on "Apply Filter".
This will list all the segments that have already been translated.
When you've finished your own translation, try exporting the file as "Export for Bilingual review".
This way you will have the pre-translated segments highlighted and your own translation in a Word file with two columns: target and source text.
When finishing this, don't forget to click on "Clear" to get back to your full text.
I hope it helps.

[Edited at 2023-09-02 16:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-09-02 16:59 GMT]
Collapse

Poppy Gemmell

Poppy Gemmell
Poppy Gemmell
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 2, 2023

Thank you so much, I've learnt a lot from this

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 09:57
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It's a very useful option Sep 3, 2023

Sometimes we don’t know that a filter option exists, or where to find it once we start looking
Along with the usual "Concordance Search", I find "Advanced Display Filter" option very useful and interesting, in particular for keeping your terms consistent and it can be a very powerful review feature too.
I'm glad it was helpful.

Poppy Gemmell

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Highlighting of your own translated words in Trados target files

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »