Trados Studio 2021: How to change .xliff file save path (and paths generally)?
Thread poster: PapagenoX
PapagenoX
PapagenoX
Local time: 13:39
Feb 9, 2023

Hello fellow Studio 2021 users:

I'm running into a truly annoying problem, namely, that the default path to save xliff files is too long, especially with longer file names (which I cannot change because the ultimate destination is a CMS that won't take them back if I do change them). The default seems to be some very long network path instead of to someplace locally, on my machine for instance, _despite_ the fact that the project files are literally in a folder at the root level of
... See more
Hello fellow Studio 2021 users:

I'm running into a truly annoying problem, namely, that the default path to save xliff files is too long, especially with longer file names (which I cannot change because the ultimate destination is a CMS that won't take them back if I do change them). The default seems to be some very long network path instead of to someplace locally, on my machine for instance, _despite_ the fact that the project files are literally in a folder at the root level of my C: drive. As a result, when I try to save changes to an xliff, I get an error about "Studio not finding part of the path" no doubt because it's way too long.

This must be in some configuration file or other, right? What file might that be?

Thanks a million for any guidance.

EDIT: "changes to an XML" edited to "changes to an xliff" (I was writing my post on very little sleep yesterday).

[Edited at 2023-02-10 18:04 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:39
English to Russian
RE: The ultimate destination is a CMS that won't take them back if I do change them — Why? Feb 9, 2023

Why can't you change the folder structure? How do you get the project? Is it a package?
The entire path including the file name must be 255 chars.

PapagenoX
PapagenoX
Local time: 13:39
TOPIC STARTER
Trados Studio 2021: How to change .xliff file save path (and paths generally)? Feb 10, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

Why can't you change the folder structure? How do you get the project? Is it a package?
The entire path including the file name must be 255 chars.

Thanks for the reply. No, it's not a package. When the problem happened, I was in the Editor simply hitting CTRL-S to save a change to an xliff, and I got an error saying it couldn't save because "Studio could not find part of path [insert very long path here]" or something to that effect. The strange part is that the xliff file in question was in a project folder on my local machine's C: drive perhaps two folders deep only (I purposely did this because my company insists that our Documents folder in Windows 10 be "virtualized" and not really on our local machines but on network drives), but at least on that occasion* Studio 2021 had forgotten that and was returning the error, mentioning a looong path name. And since there's no "save as..." command that works with bilingual files, I was stuck.

*All this said, just yesterday I opened the very same xliff and it saved with no problems. Now I can't figure out what made the program return that error message.

Stepan Konev

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2021: How to change .xliff file save path (and paths generally)?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »