Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:45
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 24, 2023

It is almost impossible to add new terms into the Variable list.

This is a continous issue in Trados, it doesn't matter the version, I have been experiencing this problem for years (I've already wrote something at the RWS community a couple of years ago.)
It doesn't matter my OS version, as it is updated automatically anytime Microsoft offers a new update.
I use McAffee as antivirus.
My Trados version is always the most updated one.
This is my original Variable list:

Picture1

I import the terms to the list of Variables in a *.txt format, or I add the terms one by one... I reorganize the translation memory (or I don't update it), I see the terms added.

Picture2

I close the settings windows. That's all. The new terms should be there. I recheck the variable list. The terms are all gone (again, and again and again! )

Picture3

I'm tired, besides I have never seen any reply from the software developpers, as this problem does not exists. But a simple search in the Internet will show that this is a frequent issue.

When will it solved? Can someone kindly provide me a workaround to this issue?

Thanks

Clarisa

[Edited at 2023-01-24 07:37 GMT]

Philippe Locquet

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:45
English to Russian
Solution Jan 25, 2023

I know that sounds weird and I can't explain why and how it works, but somehow it does [for me at least]. You can try that too. I found it somewhere among the RWS Community posts:
===
Since you add variables to your TM, you should open your TM in the Translation Memories view. You don't need it opened for editing, but you need it listed
... See more
I know that sounds weird and I can't explain why and how it works, but somehow it does [for me at least]. You can try that too. I found it somewhere among the RWS Community posts:
===
Since you add variables to your TM, you should open your TM in the Translation Memories view. You don't need it opened for editing, but you need it listed in the list here:

Make sure that the above-mentioned list includes exactly the TM that you want to add your variables to.

Then go back to Project Settings > your TM > Settings > Language Resources > Variables and add your variables. Don't forget to click the plus icon on the right for your variables to be added to the list and also don't forget to click OK as many times as required to close all the windows (3 times I believe):

If you don't click Add (the plus icon) or if you click 'Close' (the cross icon) instead of OK, Trados will not store the new entries.

[Edited at 2023-01-25 15:22 GMT]
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
United States
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It did not work Jan 25, 2023

Hi, Stefan

I appreciate your help, thanks, but it did not work.
I did exactly as you suggested me. The terms are seen at the Variable lists,
Picture4
but when the translatable segments with the variable terms in my list are not shown (no blueline under them):

Picture5

There must be some settings I'm not aware of. I wish the developpers offer me a solution.

Clarisa

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:45
English to Russian
Source or target variables Jan 25, 2023

Clarisa Moraña wrote:
I close the settings windows. That's all. The new terms should be there. I recheck the variable list. The terms are all gone (again, and again and again!)
VS
I did exactly as you suggested me. The terms are seen at the Variable lists...
Ok, so my suggestion works at least for what regards adding variables because they are not gone anymore after you did as I suggested. Good. Now let's confirm one more point:

Probably an obvious question to ask but still... Do you make sure that you add variables to your source language? From your screenshot I see that your source language is English. Do you add variables into the upper line of the table (English source)?

Update: it won't work for me too now. My variables are still there but not underlined as they did yesterday. Oh my...

[Edited at 2023-01-25 13:13 GMT]

Clarisa Moraña

Clarisa Moraña
United States
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not a silly question Jan 25, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

Probably an obvious question to ask but still... Do you make sure that you add variables to your source language? From your screenshot I see that your source language is English. Do you add variables into the upper line of the table (English source)?

I do! Not a silly question at all!

Stepan Konev wrote:

Update: it won't work for me too now. My variables are still there but not underlined as they did yesterday. Oh my...

[Edited at 2023-01-25 13:13 GMT]

I wish this problem to be solved. I believe nobody pays attention to it as not many people use the Variables, that I find absolutely useful (except when the don't work!

Thanks again!

Stepan Konev
Yossi Rozenman

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Variables not being added

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »