Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:22
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dec 14, 2022

Hello everyone

A client sent me an alignment checking job, i.e. I have to open a bunch of SDLALIGN files and check that they're aligned correctly. I was able to open and check 3 files, but then Trados started giving me the following error message when I try to open such a file:

error message

In addition, I'm then unable to close Trados (I get the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error message), so then I have to use a task manager app to close Trados.

Rebooting the computer doesn't fix this -- I'm now unable to open any SDLALIGN files, even ones that I have previously been able to open.

Got any ideas?
Trados 2022, Windows 10

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Try to repair or reinstall Studio Dec 14, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:
A client sent me an alignment checking job, i.e. I have to open a bunch of SDLALIGN files and check that they're aligned correctly. I was able to open and check 3 files, but then Trados started giving me the following error message when I try to open such a file:

error message

In addition, I'm then unable to close Trados (I get the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error message), so then I have to use a task manager app to close Trados.

Rebooting the computer doesn't fix this -- I'm now unable to open any SDLALIGN files, even ones that I have previously been able to open.

Got any ideas?
Trados 2022, Windows 10

I could not say what exactly is wrong, but you may want to try repairing the installation. Some setting has clearly been upset. Also, just in case, you may want to run a deep virus check on your system, in case you have got some malware into your system for some reason.

And perhaps you may want to check that the job was legitimate? It could happen that it was not your client who sent the files, but some fraud. Just a thought.

Roy

Christian Schaller
Christian Schaller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Source file problem Dec 14, 2022

I have never seen this error message before, but knowing Trados Studio I would consider it a possibility that there is a problem with the source files that cannot be solved within Studio, but only within the original files. Unfortunately, it's impossible to really tell if this is indeed the case without actually having access to the source files.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error when trying to open alignment file

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »