Ilde Grimaldi
Ilde Grimaldi  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:26
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 10, 2021

Hi
I have Trados Studio 2021. I find an old TM of mine, in TMW format, dated March 2006. I understand I could open it in Trados Studio 2021 and "upgrade" it in order to export it. Anyway I cannot find this "Aggiorna memoria di traduzione" command. Is it a plug-in? How does it work? I searched a bit...

Thank you!
Ilde

Ruth Wiedekind
Ruth Wiedekind  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to German
+ ...
Upgrade Translation Memories Nov 10, 2021

Select "Translation Memories" in the "Start" menu tab. In my version (Trados 2014) "Upgrade Translation Memories" is "Extras" menu in the ribbon then.

Good luck
Ruth

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:26
English to Russian
SDL Trados Compatibility and Migration Power Pack Nov 10, 2021

Ruth Wiedekind wrote:
In my version (Trados 2014) "Upgrade Translation Memories"...
It was removed from Trados 2021.
@Ilde Grimaldi
You have to install this plugin to recover the Upgrade Translation Memories functionality.

expressisverbis
Jaime Oriard

VaclavCermak
VaclavCermak
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Plugin Dec 20, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

Ruth Wiedekind wrote:
In my version (Trados 2014) "Upgrade Translation Memories"...
It was removed from Trados 2021.
@Ilde Grimaldi
You have to install this plugin to recover the Upgrade Translation Memories functionality.

Unfortunately that plugin doesn't work properly. Upgrade fails.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Version? Dec 20, 2022

VaclavCermak wrote:
Which version do you use and how do you install the plugin? I have just checked it right now and it worked fine for me. Please try this video.

[Edited at 2022-12-20 21:45 GMT]

Ilde Grimaldi
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
activation Dec 22, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

VaclavCermak wrote:
Which version do you use and how do you install the plugin? I have just checked it right now and it worked fine for me. Please try this video.

dear Stepan
[I'm Ilde and original author of this post]. Reading your suggestion, I wished to install trados-compatibility-and-migration-power-pack.
So I noticed that I did not have the compatible version of SDL Trados Studio 2021 required, I had "16.1.4.4184"
Searching for "updates" from within Studio 2021, I was told that there is TradosStudio2021SR2_16.2.12.9338.exe and I downloaded it and installed it.
Now it requires activation. What should I do? When I update DVX,Wordfast Pro etc. etc. the application does not need activation. What do I do now? I have indeed my activation number, but I fear it would count as a new user (I don't even know if it would work, not having deactivated the previous one. But why there was no message about it? It is just an update, not a paid upgrade (needed for a plug-in).

Thank you!!!!!!!
Ilde

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
RWS Community Dec 22, 2022

Hi Ilde,
Long time has passed since my suggestion to you. RWS banned me from their services because according to their belief I arranged and started the Feb24 war. Therefore I can't check what happens when you install the update. As far as I understand, you downloaded the installer which is considered a different program, not just an update (sort of upgrade from Service Pack 1 to Service Pack 2). Probably this is why you came across that issue, but I am not sure though.
However, eve
... See more
Hi Ilde,
Long time has passed since my suggestion to you. RWS banned me from their services because according to their belief I arranged and started the Feb24 war. Therefore I can't check what happens when you install the update. As far as I understand, you downloaded the installer which is considered a different program, not just an update (sort of upgrade from Service Pack 1 to Service Pack 2). Probably this is why you came across that issue, but I am not sure though.
However, even if you have lost your license after re-installation, they still can restore it for you. I did it several times in the past. Just contact RWS and ask them to reset your license. Explain the situation exactly the same way you did here: [I wished to install trados-compatibility... blah-blah-blah... Now it requires activation. What should I do?]. I'm pretty sure they will fix it soon. The best way to contact them is through this link: https://community.rws.com/login?ReturnUrl=/product-groups/trados-portfolio/f/licensing
Posting a question there is equivalent of opening a support ticket.

[Edited at 2022-12-22 13:09 GMT]
Collapse

VaclavCermak
VaclavCermak
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Problem solved Dec 22, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

VaclavCermak wrote:

I've already resolved the issue on the Trados (RWS) forum. The problem was that one file had an extra underscore sign in the suffix which caused the failure of the upgrade.

Stepan Konev

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Aaah Dec 22, 2022

VaclavCermak wrote:
The problem was that one file had an extra underscore sign in the suffix which caused the failure of the upgrade.

Aaah, the dreaded underscore error. Trados 7 also refused to open such files, and for some reason some clients just sent them like that.

Ilde Grimaldi
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
solved Dec 24, 2022

dear all
I managed to download Trados Compatibility and Migration Power Pack (I had to update Trados Studio 2021 to a newer version/release).
Now I see "Prepara memorie di traduzione" "Migrazione" and was able to convert an old tmw file.
Thank you!

[Modificato alle 2022-12-24 00:47 GMT]

Ilde Grimaldi
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
solved Dec 24, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

Hi Ilde,
Long time has passed since my suggestion to you. As far as I understand, you downloaded the installer which is considered a different program, not just an update (sort of upgrade from Service Pack 1 to Service Pack 2). Probably this is why you came across that issue, but I am not sure though. [Edited at 2022-12-22 13:09 GMT]

Thank you for your help. This thing about download and activation, resulted to be just a silly mix-up on my side, which I later discovered thanks to your suggestion.

Stepan Konev

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opening a .tmw TM in Trados Studio 2021 in order to export it

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »