cannot generate target translation because of errors in tags (which do not exist) in Studio 2015
Thread poster: DocteurPC
DocteurPC
DocteurPC  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:16
English to French
+ ...
Aug 14, 2021

Trying to generate target file of a 48K document, but missing tag error.

Gives me : missing tags in segment 21 (and will not generate the file)
But there are no tags in segment 21!

I erased the translation in segment 21 - Copy source to target - (still no tag) rewrote translation

I "showed" all tags with (just in case) :
Options/Editor/ Formatting display style/Show all formatting and tags
I then checked all the tags! including checking fo
... See more
Trying to generate target file of a 48K document, but missing tag error.

Gives me : missing tags in segment 21 (and will not generate the file)
But there are no tags in segment 21!

I erased the translation in segment 21 - Copy source to target - (still no tag) rewrote translation

I "showed" all tags with (just in case) :
Options/Editor/ Formatting display style/Show all formatting and tags
I then checked all the tags! including checking for ghost tags!
Still no tag in segment 21

I ran F8 (no error according to this)

I removed the tag verification in :
Home /Project Settings/verification/Tag/verifier/common/removing all options
I also tried : ignore formatting tags
ignore locked segments
ignore break and non break spaces (not required here)

I tried to remove the tag protection by creating a keyboard shortcut - still does not work.

I shut off Trados (SDLX) and even the computer to reload everything "clean". Did not work.

Same error and no target translation to deliver to the client!

My only other options would be to either:
1. reload the document and run it again
2. use the Export for bilingual review/save the target column/import it into Excel to remove all the coloring but it means 3 days of reformatting the document (and of course, it is due today!).

There has to be an easier way.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:16
English to Russian
Try a batch task Aug 14, 2021

Sometimes it helps (but not always): Batch Tasks > Export files.
Also, try this thread (a comment by Ben Senior).

[Edited at 2021-08-14 14:43 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:16
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
An easier way: Aug 14, 2021

Check, whether you could create an export of the sdlxliff files with Studio on a PC of a friend / colleague (or send me a private email, so that you can send them to me with WeTransfer). Sometimes you may have versions issues between two different Studio versions. Or create a new project with the source files (not with the sdlxliff files you received) and run them with the TM you created before.

DocteurPC
Angie Garbarino

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:16
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
What solution did you ... Aug 15, 2021

... finally go for? Please keep us informed, thanks.

DocteurPC
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Followed Matthias's suggestion - I sent the sdlxiff file to a friend Aug 15, 2021

He was able to extract most of it in a cleaner format than the "export for bilingual review" that Trados gives.

I still had to go through the whole thing (spent the week-end on it) to make sure it was "all there" and reformat will all the levels my client loves!

A few segments were missing for some reason that we were unable to figure out (the source text appeared on them even though the TM has the translated version?) but at least, I can send it to the client now.
... See more
He was able to extract most of it in a cleaner format than the "export for bilingual review" that Trados gives.

I still had to go through the whole thing (spent the week-end on it) to make sure it was "all there" and reformat will all the levels my client loves!

A few segments were missing for some reason that we were unable to figure out (the source text appeared on them even though the TM has the translated version?) but at least, I can send it to the client now.
Thanks
Collapse

DocteurPC
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
BTW the newest version of Trados (SDLX) was unable to "fix" the file - but Memo Q did the job Aug 20, 2021

Just in case this happened to someone else - I sent the *.sdlxliff to the friend I mentioned who has both the newer version of Trados and MemoQ.

His Trados could not extract the target translation, but MemoQ gave a cleaner copy of "Bilingual export for review" than the one generated from Trados. If you have ever used this function, you know how Trados "complicates" the review file, even if it often useful.

The formatting tags were there (this client LOVES bold, italic
... See more
Just in case this happened to someone else - I sent the *.sdlxliff to the friend I mentioned who has both the newer version of Trados and MemoQ.

His Trados could not extract the target translation, but MemoQ gave a cleaner copy of "Bilingual export for review" than the one generated from Trados. If you have ever used this function, you know how Trados "complicates" the review file, even if it often useful.

The formatting tags were there (this client LOVES bold, italic, underline, uppercases, often in combination) but the multi-level numbering was not all there.
Collapse

Matthias Brombach

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

cannot generate target translation because of errors in tags (which do not exist) in Studio 2015

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »