Convert a Word file back in XLIFF file (SDL)
Thread poster: Marie-ever
Marie-ever
Marie-ever  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:22
English to French
+ ...
Feb 6, 2015

Hello Linguists,

I bought recently SDL Trados Studio 2014 and I am currently translating a project of 20 000 words. My associate who proofread my translations doesn't have SDL and I am wondering if the application "SDL Converter for Microsoft Office" on the Welcome Menu can convert the Word file back into XLIFF file?

If so, is the project going to be updated with the changes in the Translation Memory when I convert the file back in XLIFF or I have to go through my TM ma
... See more
Hello Linguists,

I bought recently SDL Trados Studio 2014 and I am currently translating a project of 20 000 words. My associate who proofread my translations doesn't have SDL and I am wondering if the application "SDL Converter for Microsoft Office" on the Welcome Menu can convert the Word file back into XLIFF file?

If so, is the project going to be updated with the changes in the Translation Memory when I convert the file back in XLIFF or I have to go through my TM manually?

Thank you in advance for all answers,
MER
Collapse

Ben Senior
Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:22
German to English
Export for external review Feb 6, 2015

Hi Marie,

In SDL Studio go to the "Review tab on the ribbon and click on "Export for External Review" in the "File Actions" panel. Your file will then be converted into a bilingual Word file which you can send to the proof reader. They should not change the name of the file or anything at all in the source column. When you get your file back you can first check it in Word and then use the button "Update from External Review" and your project will be updated with the changes. There's
... See more
Hi Marie,

In SDL Studio go to the "Review tab on the ribbon and click on "Export for External Review" in the "File Actions" panel. Your file will then be converted into a bilingual Word file which you can send to the proof reader. They should not change the name of the file or anything at all in the source column. When you get your file back you can first check it in Word and then use the button "Update from External Review" and your project will be updated with the changes. There's also the Help for a more detailed explanation.

Ben
Collapse

Marie-ever
Marie-ever  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:22
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
external review Feb 6, 2015

Hi Ben,

thank you for your detailed answer, I will try this when I'm ready to send my file for proofread.

Best regards,
MER

Shawqi Alqubati
Shawqi Alqubati
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 13:22
English to Arabic
Word to xliff format Sep 12, 2023

Hello 👋 👋 👋
Can help me how I can convert word document to xliff format," I have not any CAT programs.
Waiting for help

Shawqi

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 12:22
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
If you don't have a CAT tool, why do you want to convert the Word document to xliff? Sep 12, 2023

Shawqi Alqubati wrote:
Hello 👋 👋 👋
Can help me how I can convert word document to xliff format," I have not any CAT programs.
Waiting for help
Shawqi

If you have translated a Word document and the client asks to get an xliff file back, you may want to explain the situation. It would in that case be better if the client exported the file from their CAT tool into a so called external view (the name would depend on the CAT tool in question). Then you would work in that file (it usually would be a Word document, but in table format). Then it would be simple for the client to reimport your translation.

If you are intending to do serious work as a translator, you really have to invest in a CAT tool. memoQ would be an excellent choice in that case. Though often the agencies will have their own CAT tool that you could work in without having your own license.

expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Convert a Word file back in XLIFF file (SDL)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »