Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 08:04
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Nov 24, 2009

Hi all,

A few hours ago, I received an advert in my mailbox from a certain CAT tool company. The headline (it was in my native language) was *34,501 words. 10 hours. By one translator. Is such a thing possible?*

My first impression when I got this advert was that this one is dangerously misleading. It was an advert to lure new users plus present users to upgrade to the latest version of the tool. On the ad were featured new added technologies, but to me, this doesn't ma
... See more
Hi all,

A few hours ago, I received an advert in my mailbox from a certain CAT tool company. The headline (it was in my native language) was *34,501 words. 10 hours. By one translator. Is such a thing possible?*

My first impression when I got this advert was that this one is dangerously misleading. It was an advert to lure new users plus present users to upgrade to the latest version of the tool. On the ad were featured new added technologies, but to me, this doesn't make sense at all, unless there were nearly 30,000 exact matches and the rest were no matches.

What do you think?

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Collapse

Mohamed Kamel
Mohamed Kamel  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 02:04
English to Arabic
This could be done with a TM with all its TU's are 100% match! Nov 24, 2009

This could be done with a TM with all its TU's 100% match!

I think you are right, Yasutomo, this couldn't be possible in my language and the same as any other language.

Translators, be aware and read forums carefully and regularly.

Best,
Mohamed

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:04
French to German
+ ...
Comparison... Nov 24, 2009

A souped-up train, running on a prepared track and using modified infrastructures, managed to break a speed record in 2007, cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TGV_world_speed_record - this is really worth reading.

Why should a souped-up CAT tool used under best conditions not be able to break a productivity record? The fact being that such conditions are rarely or ne
... See more
A souped-up train, running on a prepared track and using modified infrastructures, managed to break a speed record in 2007, cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TGV_world_speed_record - this is really worth reading.

Why should a souped-up CAT tool used under best conditions not be able to break a productivity record? The fact being that such conditions are rarely or never met in our day-to-day practice (*), in the same way the train mentioned before will never ever cruise at some 357 mph when "in commercial service".

(*) plus some aspects most of us are not even aware of...

[Edited at 2009-11-24 18:02 GMT]
Collapse

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:04
Spanish to English
Am I particularly slow? Nov 24, 2009

I think if I had 100% confidence in the tm and the entire text was a 100% match, it would take me 10 hours to process it with a CAT tool, whereas, without a CAT tool, I could probably just rename a file in two seconds!

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Misleading? I think so... Nov 24, 2009

I found this particular passage curious:

"I just completed a 34,501 word project in 10 hours thanks to AutoSuggest™, Context Match and the other nifty time-saving features within SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP1. That’s without having much of anything in the pre-existing TM!"

Could someone tell me how could AutoSuggest help in the translation if there was not "much of anything in the pre-existing TM"? AutoSuggest does not collect data on the fly, it is assembled only from
... See more
I found this particular passage curious:

"I just completed a 34,501 word project in 10 hours thanks to AutoSuggest™, Context Match and the other nifty time-saving features within SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP1. That’s without having much of anything in the pre-existing TM!"

Could someone tell me how could AutoSuggest help in the translation if there was not "much of anything in the pre-existing TM"? AutoSuggest does not collect data on the fly, it is assembled only from the existing TM. In fact, if the TM is too small (less than 25k segments) it cannot be assembled at all!

Unless, of course, he meant: "not much of anything in the TM and 90% of the project's segments in the termbase"
Collapse

Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Canada
Local time: 19:04
English to French
+ ...
Confusion Nov 24, 2009

Many years ago I have known very intellingent young Japanese people who started learning English, and they tended to confuse "word" and "letter". Later I understood that this was because of the structure of the Japanese language, where they use signs which are not really equivalent to word nor to letters. Could this be the cause of this confusion?

XX789 (X)
XX789 (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
E-mail headers Nov 24, 2009

Could someone post the e-mail headers of this message? I'm trying to find out whether the e-mail is genuine.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
There you've got them Nov 24, 2009

Loek van Kooten wrote:

Could someone post the e-mail headers of this message? I'm trying to find out whether the e-mail is genuine.

Return-Path:
Received: from smtpin126-bge351000 ([unknown] [10.150.68.126]) by ms223.mac.com (Sun Java(tm) System Messaging Server 7u3-12.01 64bit (built Oct 15 2009)) with ESMTP id for kraulandconsulting (at) me (dot) com; Tue, 24 Nov 2009 08:16:31 -0800 (PST)
Received: from xtinmta03-196.exacttarget.com ([unknown] [207.250.68.196]) by smtpin126.mac.com (Sun Java(tm) System Messaging Server 7u2-7.04 32bit (built Jul 2 2009)) with ESMTP id for kraulandconsulting (at) me (dot) com (ORCPT kraulandconsulting (at) me (dot) com); Tue, 24 Nov 2009 08:16:31 -0800 (PST)
Received: by xtinmta03-196.exacttarget.com (PowerMTA(TM) v3.5r11) id h1g3ds0ie1sj for ; Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:16:29 -0600
Original-Recipient: rfc822;kraulandconsulting (at) me (dot) com
X-Proofpoint-Virus-Version: vendor=fsecure engine=1.12.8161:2.4.5,1.2.40,4.0.166 definitions=2009-11-24_07:2009-11-16,2009-11-24,2009-11-24 signatures=0
X-Proofpoint-Spam-Details: rule=notspam policy=default score=0 spamscore=0 ipscore=0 phishscore=0 bulkscore=100 adultscore=0 classifier=spam adjust=0 reason=mlx engine=5.0.0-0908210000 definitions=main-0911240136
List-Unsubscribe:
Mime-Version: 1.0
X-Job: 10985_22259095
Message-Id:
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="6gdYDQiHg2km=_?:"

[Edited at 2009-11-24 20:02 GMT]

XX789 (X)
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Fishy Nov 24, 2009

Thank you Laurent! The headers look fishy to me. I'm not sure whether the source is actually SDL. 10.150.68.126 is an unknown IP address, but maybe some expert can enlighten me.

XX789 (X)
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
I'm stupid Nov 24, 2009

10.150.68.126 is a private IP address and of course unknown. The mail was sent by ExactTarget mailing software from a mail server owned by the same company. ExactTarget is a mailing tool used by many reputable companies, amongst which Microsoft.

Meanwhile I got a copy from the original mail. All links in it refer to SDL International's website.

It looks real to me.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
Which is not *really* reassuring... Nov 24, 2009

is it? I can see crowds of outsourcers trampling at our doors, demanding 5,000 words to be translated within half an hour...
Loek van Kooten wrote:

Meanwhile I got a copy from the original mail. All links in it refer to SDL International's website.

It looks real to me.

[Edited at 2009-11-24 21:22 GMT]

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
I was misled once by them Nov 24, 2009

A few years ago I was misled by SDL's sales pitch which was phrased in a way which suggested that Concordance search in Workbench does more or less the same thing as EBMT (example based machine translation) in Dejavu.

They misled me once, now I simply don't believe such exorbitant claims.

Regards,

Piotr

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
But is it misleading... Nov 24, 2009

or simply puffery which is commonly used and seen in advertising.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:04
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
That's right. Nov 24, 2009

Lesley Clarke wrote:

I think if I had 100% confidence in the tm and the entire text was a 100% match, it would take me 10 hours to process it with a CAT tool, whereas, without a CAT tool, I could probably just rename a file in two seconds!

For some document, using a CAT tool is not cost effective. A job can be done within one hour if you screen out the difference with your own eyes, but it might take 10 hours if you use a CAT tool to process it.

[Edited at 2009-11-24 22:19 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Misleading advert? 34,501 words translated in 10 hours by only one translator

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »