How can a new agency request all those information and yet its not matter such information?
Thread poster: Khalif mohamed Hashi
Khalif mohamed Hashi
Khalif mohamed Hashi  Identity Verified
Somalia
Local time: 02:57
Member (2021)
Somali to English
+ ...
Aug 11, 2021

Hi,
One of my new agency requested all those sensitive information and I don't understand why they need all those information and I believe it's not the matter.
1) please provide proof of address ( a copy of utility bill, invoice, bank statement etc.)
2) Please provide proof of identity ( a copy of your passport, ID card etc.)
3) Please provide your bank account details
4) Please provide your taxpayer ID number
I can understand some of them are needed like a c
... See more
Hi,
One of my new agency requested all those sensitive information and I don't understand why they need all those information and I believe it's not the matter.
1) please provide proof of address ( a copy of utility bill, invoice, bank statement etc.)
2) Please provide proof of identity ( a copy of your passport, ID card etc.)
3) Please provide your bank account details
4) Please provide your taxpayer ID number
I can understand some of them are needed like a copy of ID for identity, payment method, and also Tax filling but why do they need my utility bill, invoice (I hvnt yet completed a job), bank statement, and bank account details?
I really need your suggestion
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:57
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Not required Aug 11, 2021

With a new customer I always send them my business brochure (falsely also called CV = only for employers, not partners), including the note that all relevant information, e. g. address, phone or tax number, will be included in the first invoice I will send them after having completed my first project for them. Legitimate agencies accept this. Those who demand to have proof of my existence, especially my ID, are free to walk on at any given time.

Gabriele Foy
Nena Perovic
Liviu-Lee Roth

Hayley Wakenshaw
Hayley Wakenshaw  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:57
Member (2018)
Dutch to English
Normal, I think, but puts me off working with agencies Aug 11, 2021

After having this happen to me twice I'm inclined to steer clear of agencies who want lots of information upfront. Both agencies kept demanding more information but ignored my repeated requests for any information about the text they wanted me to translate. In both cases, I was absolutely not the right linguist for the job, so they had wasted my time and theirs.

I had actually checked both out on the Blue Board and they had decent reviews, so I felt safe (ish) giving them so much id
... See more
After having this happen to me twice I'm inclined to steer clear of agencies who want lots of information upfront. Both agencies kept demanding more information but ignored my repeated requests for any information about the text they wanted me to translate. In both cases, I was absolutely not the right linguist for the job, so they had wasted my time and theirs.

I had actually checked both out on the Blue Board and they had decent reviews, so I felt safe (ish) giving them so much identifying information. Perhaps the PMs were having bad days.

I don't think it's uncommon to have to prove your identity and that you have the qualifications you say you do, especially when the agency is contracting you for a client that wants you to sign an NDA. But I don't see why they need your proof of address and bank details upfront.

I'm interested to see from comments here just how much upfront, identifying information it's normal to have to provide.

[Edited at 2021-08-11 10:19 GMT]
Collapse

Johanne Dupuy
Johanne Dupuy  Identity Verified
France
Member (2018)
English to French
Sounds suspicious... Aug 11, 2021

I agree that most big agencies ask for too much information to fill in their database, even if they are serious. I don’t see a problem with giving your bank account detail: they should need it at some point.
But this is the first time I see requests such as utility bills. And I really don’t see how it could be useful to a serious agency. Doesn’t it sound like an identity theft project?
I would be cautious if I were you.
Have you checked some information about this agency?
... See more
I agree that most big agencies ask for too much information to fill in their database, even if they are serious. I don’t see a problem with giving your bank account detail: they should need it at some point.
But this is the first time I see requests such as utility bills. And I really don’t see how it could be useful to a serious agency. Doesn’t it sound like an identity theft project?
Have you checked some information about this agency? Website? BlueBoard?
Good luck and keep us informed of the outcome.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
The agency is just overcautious Aug 11, 2021

Johanne Dupuy wrote:
Sounds suspicious...

Have you checked some information about this agency? Website? BlueBoard?
Good luck and keep us informed of the outcome.

No, this does not sound suspicious at all - on the condition that this is a well-established and reputable agency. They are simply overcautious due to huge number of stolen CVs sent by scammers (see at least
https://www.proz.com/topic/230462 ). They just want to be sure that the translator is real and not an impersonator.

Kevin Fulton
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Ettore Peyrot
Ettore Peyrot  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
A bit too overcautious Aug 11, 2021

As an agency, we do receive every week hundreds of false CVs and cooperation offers, and even when we post a job in Proz we get 50% of scam offers. We therefore always ask information from the few applicants we could be interested in, in order to ensure we are talking with a real/legitimate person. An ID card scan, a phone number, and proz.com profile link, are enough info to ensure we are not talking with a ghost/scammer/fake. The ID card can show that the John Doe who's signing the email and w... See more
As an agency, we do receive every week hundreds of false CVs and cooperation offers, and even when we post a job in Proz we get 50% of scam offers. We therefore always ask information from the few applicants we could be interested in, in order to ensure we are talking with a real/legitimate person. An ID card scan, a phone number, and proz.com profile link, are enough info to ensure we are not talking with a ghost/scammer/fake. The ID card can show that the John Doe who's signing the email and who is shown in the Proz profile is really John Doe, and really lives where he pretends he's located. The phone number allows us to check where he's located and call him to check John Doe is actually there. The Proz profile link allows us to send a message to check we are actually corresponding with the John Doe shown in the Proz profile. We don't accept to work with translators unwilling to provide this info.

OTOH, we requiest bank account details and tax ID only when we send a Purchase Order following the offer received. No need to have them upfront
An utility bill is of no use at all for an agency wanting to ensure they're talking with John Doe

Basically, the Agency who requested all the info listed is either a bit too overcautious (maybe they have been scammed and are too scared to be scammed again), or don't have a clue about what to do to be safe and avoid dealing with scammners/impersonators. The utility bill request is nonsense, a bit fishy, and actually whispers in my ear that this could be an identity theft attempt. But again, maybe the agency is legit/honest and they just don't have a clue
Collapse

Khalif mohamed Hashi
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Reason for utility bill Aug 11, 2021

Here in France, a utility bill is regulalry required as proof od the fact you do actually live at the address you claim — this is the only missing link in this net of information: they can confirm WHO you are, but need a cross-reference as to WHERE you are.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Jeez Aug 11, 2021

You guys should borrow from the vast verification experience of online dating, online sales between individuals, reddit's pron section, etc.

Just instruct a person to submit a very specific phone pic. If asking for ID is appropriate, a selfie holding their picture ID next to their face, and if they find it creepy, with a piece of paper saying "Verification for so-and-so Inc." held in the same hand

...done.

Hell, no real need for ID even, just ask them for a
... See more
You guys should borrow from the vast verification experience of online dating, online sales between individuals, reddit's pron section, etc.

Just instruct a person to submit a very specific phone pic. If asking for ID is appropriate, a selfie holding their picture ID next to their face, and if they find it creepy, with a piece of paper saying "Verification for so-and-so Inc." held in the same hand

...done.

Hell, no real need for ID even, just ask them for a photo holding up a bar of soap or a pen next to a face that matches the internet profile they claim to represent. Any instruction easily fulfilled by someone who isn't an identity thief.

ettore wrote:

As an agency, we do receive every week hundreds of false CVs and cooperation offers, and even when we post a job in Proz we get 50% of scam offers. We therefore always ask information from the few applicants we could be interested in, in order to ensure we are talking with a real/legitimate person. An ID card scan, a phone number, and proz.com profile link, are enough info to ensure we are not talking with a ghost/scammer/fake. The ID card can show that the John Doe who's signing the email and who is shown in the Proz profile is really John Doe, and really lives where he pretends he's located. The phone number allows us to check where he's located and call him to check John Doe is actually there. The Proz profile link allows us to send a message to check we are actually corresponding with the John Doe shown in the Proz profile. We don't accept to work with translators unwilling to provide this info.

OTOH, we requiest bank account details and tax ID only when we send a Purchase Order following the offer received. No need to have them upfront
An utility bill is of no use at all for an agency wanting to ensure they're talking with John Doe

Basically, the Agency who requested all the info listed is either a bit too overcautious (maybe they have been scammed and are too scared to be scammed again), or don't have a clue about what to do to be safe and avoid dealing with scammners/impersonators. The utility bill request is nonsense, a bit fishy, and actually whispers in my ear that this could be an identity theft attempt. But again, maybe the agency is legit/honest and they just don't have a clue

[Edited at 2021-08-11 16:06 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-08-11 16:06 GMT]
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
The flip-side of the coin Aug 11, 2021

How many PM's or other agency representatives have provided proof of their identity, e. g. a legible copy of their ID/passport, their valid tax number and where their business is registered, etc. to you?

I understand their caution in the face of so many impersonators trying to fool them, but agencies, rather their representatives, should also consider that several sincere translator were scammed by allegedly sincere customers.

However, demanding this type of sensitive i
... See more
How many PM's or other agency representatives have provided proof of their identity, e. g. a legible copy of their ID/passport, their valid tax number and where their business is registered, etc. to you?

I understand their caution in the face of so many impersonators trying to fool them, but agencies, rather their representatives, should also consider that several sincere translator were scammed by allegedly sincere customers.

However, demanding this type of sensitive information a forehand - and perhaps never assigning a project to you - is going a little overboard. Mutual trust should be the foundation of any good business, in accordance with the economic principle of "quit pro quo".

[Edited at 2021-08-11 16:22 GMT]
Collapse

AnnaSCHTR
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Liviu-Lee Roth

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Utility bills Aug 13, 2021

The potential client may be sincere. It may not necessarily be a scam. However, you are right to be cautious before providing this type of document, as if bank information wasn't enough. Your business registration number should be no problem. Clients have to be able to demonstrate who their clients are, otherwise, they could be accused of having people work unofficially, which is against the law.

I have provided my bank details to an agency when I went to their real live offices to
... See more
The potential client may be sincere. It may not necessarily be a scam. However, you are right to be cautious before providing this type of document, as if bank information wasn't enough. Your business registration number should be no problem. Clients have to be able to demonstrate who their clients are, otherwise, they could be accused of having people work unofficially, which is against the law.

I have provided my bank details to an agency when I went to their real live offices to present original documents they could take copies of and work was already in the pipeline. Otherwise, that info would be supplied with the first invoice and not before.

Whilst it is common to ask for utility bills as evidence of actual residence, in Tours, there have been phases in the past couple of years where false employees from (fake) electricity and gas companies turn up offering (fake) offers, new forms of contract etc. They always ask to see a bill. I send the people away with a flea in their ear. There is a lot of information on a utility bill, including contract number, address, email address, etc. It is precisely because this type of document is used as proof of residence by administrations that I never let these fake employees of fake companies say more than a few words. This type of document can be and is used to commit a number of different fraudulent activities. No-one gets anywhere near mine!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can a new agency request all those information and yet its not matter such information?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »