Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
What should I do when somebody uses my address on their resume?
Thread poster: Harumi Uemura
Harumi Uemura
Harumi Uemura  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2012)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Nov 10, 2015

I'm an individual freelance translator located in the U.S.
I was recently contacted by one of my clients asking if I had a husband or family member who is also a translator.
Apparently, an individual was using my physical address for his resume.
I am not married and none of my family members are translators. I do not know this person.
My client then forwarded the e-mail containing this person's resume and the residential/business address listed is clearly mine.
All
... See more
I'm an individual freelance translator located in the U.S.
I was recently contacted by one of my clients asking if I had a husband or family member who is also a translator.
Apparently, an individual was using my physical address for his resume.
I am not married and none of my family members are translators. I do not know this person.
My client then forwarded the e-mail containing this person's resume and the residential/business address listed is clearly mine.
All the other information has nothing to do with mine.
What should I do in such a case?

Best Regards,
Collapse

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:05
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It might end up in a fraudulent act. Nov 10, 2015

If someone is doing that, it might end up in a fraudulent act, bringing more damage. Have you also received any mails to this person? If so, talk to authorities, register the act and take it to the post office informing that person does not live/own your address.

What do you think this person would gain by using your data/address?

Good luck

Harumi Uemura
Harumi Uemura  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2012)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 10, 2015

Thank you for your advice. I will definitely bring a copy of his resume to the post office and notify them about the matter.
To be honest, I'm really not sure what they can gain by using my address. This is very strange. I would appreciate it if anybody else can shed light on this matter.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 22:05
Romanian to English
+ ...
just kidding Nov 10, 2015

ask the client to forward all their checks to the address on the CV and your name!

[Edited at 2015-11-10 22:27 GMT]

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:05
Serbian to English
+ ...
wrong way round Nov 10, 2015

Harumi Uemura wrote:

Thank you for your advice. I will definitely bring a copy of his resume to the post office and notify them about the matter.
To be honest, I'm really not sure what they can gain by using my address. This is very strange. I would appreciate it if anybody else can shed light on this matter.

The real question is not what they can gain but what you can lose. Like irate dissatisfied clients figuratively [or even literally!] knocking at your door, and you taking the flack for someone else's mess ...

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
what will the OP lose? Nov 11, 2015

Daryo wrote:

The real question is not what they can gain but what you can lose.

I don't know what the OP will lose. It is absolutely normal for many people to use one address, esp in big cities in the USA.

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Why should the post office be cared about this? Nov 11, 2015

Paulinho Fonseca wrote:

take it to the post office informing that person does not live/own your address.

Good luck

Also, will the post office believe in you? They may kindly listen to your story but I don't think they can do anything about it.

Can I go to your local office and tell the officer that your address is not yours?

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
which authorities are in charge of this? Nov 11, 2015

Paulinho Fonseca wrote:

If so, talk to authorities,

I'm interested in knowing which authorities are in charge of this.

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
The post office is not a police station Nov 11, 2015

Harumi Uemura wrote:

And their job is to deliver mail, not monitoring if people use their real address. It might be illegal if they refuse to deliver a mail with proper postage, even if you have told them the letter is from a scammer.

Roni_S
Roni_S  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 04:05
Slovak to English
Actually Nov 11, 2015

Mail fraud is a crime in the US. It may seem innocent now, but it could bring you problems in the future, not the least of which could be credit fraud. I would do as Paulinho suggests and report it to the postal authorities. They actually have far more power than jyuan_us thinks. They may not be the police, but they do investigate criminal matters relating to mail and they do take it seriously. It’ll only take a few minutes of your time (ideally), but it could save you a whole heck of a lot of... See more
Mail fraud is a crime in the US. It may seem innocent now, but it could bring you problems in the future, not the least of which could be credit fraud. I would do as Paulinho suggests and report it to the postal authorities. They actually have far more power than jyuan_us thinks. They may not be the police, but they do investigate criminal matters relating to mail and they do take it seriously. It’ll only take a few minutes of your time (ideally), but it could save you a whole heck of a lot of trouble in the future. And keep a paper trail, just so you can prove your case later if need be.Collapse

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I don't understand the logic Nov 11, 2015

englishpartner wrote:

Mail fraud is a crime in the US. It may seem innocent now, but it could bring you problems in the future, not the least of which could be credit fraud.

If someone is committing a mail fraud, what it has to do with the OP?

Also, can you give an example of a criminal matter that the post office will investigate? What will be the result of their investigation? How will that result be used?

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
What made you think that the Post Office will investigate criminal matters? Nov 11, 2015

englishpartner wrote:
They actually have far more power than jyuan_us thinks. They may not be the police, but they do investigate criminal matters relating to mail and they do take it seriously.

What made you think that the Post Office will investigate criminal matters relating to mail? Do you have any evidence supporting your statement? If not, how did you get that statement?

You advised the OP to go to the post office to report the case. Nobody can stop her from doing so but the only result I can imagine is that the post office will advise her to go to the police station. The police station clerk will listen to her story, take notes, and then put the report in their file drawer. That's all they can do. I don't think they will come to her place to find out if the person is really living there.

Don't expect they would do anything you have requested. You are one of the taxpayers but their job is to serve all taxpayers. They have better things to do.

John Holland
John Holland  Identity Verified
France
French to English
U.S. Postal Inspection Service Nov 11, 2015

From their website at https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/aboutus/mission.aspx :

"The mission of the U.S. Postal Inspection Service is to support and protect the U.S. Postal Service and its employees, infrastructure, and customers; enforce the laws that defend the nation’s mail system from illegal or dangerous use; and ensure public trust in the mail."

an
... See more
From their website at https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/aboutus/mission.aspx :

"The mission of the U.S. Postal Inspection Service is to support and protect the U.S. Postal Service and its employees, infrastructure, and customers; enforce the laws that defend the nation’s mail system from illegal or dangerous use; and ensure public trust in the mail."

and

"U.S. Postal Inspectors are federal law enforcement officers who carry firearms, make arrests, execute federal search warrants, and serve subpoenas. Inspectors work with U.S. Attorneys, other law enforcement, and local prosecutors to investigate cases and prepare them for court. Inspectors throughout the country enforce roughly 200 federal laws related to crimes that adversely affect or entail fraudulent use of the U.S. Mail, the postal system, postal employees, and customers."

It is possible to report mail fraud online using the following form on the U.S. Postal Inspection Service website:
http://ehome.uspis.gov/fcsexternal/default.aspx

Please also see the information about identity theft on the site. For example:
https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/investigations/MailFraud/fraudschemes/mailtheft/IDProtectName.aspx ,
as well as the identity theft report complaint form:
http://ehome.uspis.gov/mailtheft/idtheft.aspx

I'm not sure whether mail fraud or identity theft is more relevant here. However, there is a telephone number to call for more information.
Again from https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/investigations/MailFraud/fraudschemes/mailtheft/IDProtectName.aspx :

"Who to Call for Help

If you're a victim of identity theft and the U.S. Mail is involved, call Postal Inspectors at 1-877-876-2455 and local police.

Visit the Federal Trade Commission's Web site, which is the federal government's central consumer assistance and information center. The FTC provides educational materials and self-help tools, as well as an online reporting form. The FTC also maintains a toll-free hotline at 1-877-ID-THEFT, with consumer counselors available to assist victims."

Maybe it would be worthwhile to try that FTC toll-free hotline first, Harumi. I'd suppose that their consumer counselors would know more about how to evaluate your situation and what steps to take.

[Edited at 2015-11-11 17:37 GMT]
Collapse

Roni_S
Roni_S  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Slovak to English
jyuan_us Nov 11, 2015

you seem to know very little about the USPS. Check it out, and you will see that my advice to the OP is pretty right on target.
You may want to also check the links that John has posted here.

Andrea Muller (X)
Andrea Muller (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:05
English to German
+ ...
Check translator scammers site Nov 11, 2015

Hi

You could check whether the email address used by that person is already on the Translator Scammer website. http://www.translator-scammers.com/translator-scammers-search.html

And if it is not there yet, you can forward them the copy of the CV and the email address you were given. There is a link at the bottom of the page, where it says: 'Ha
... See more
Hi

You could check whether the email address used by that person is already on the Translator Scammer website. http://www.translator-scammers.com/translator-scammers-search.html

And if it is not there yet, you can forward them the copy of the CV and the email address you were given. There is a link at the bottom of the page, where it says: 'Have you been scammed? Know of any other scammers? Send us the details: Scammers' email AND fake CV'

This will not help to catch the scammer, as far as I know, but it will help to warn potential victims and reduce the risk of angry ripped-off clients contacting you by post or in person.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What should I do when somebody uses my address on their resume?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »