Thread poster: Tom in London
Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:35
German to English
Carelessness > spam Aug 8, 2015

Oliver Walter wrote:

This is a symptom of what I think must be the case: once you are in one (or more) of the lists of email addresses used by spammers, you`re likely to remain on those lists, even if you never reply to the spam/phishing emails. Since I\'m sure I have no viruses or \'trojan horses\' on my computer, I think I must be on some of these lists as a result of some malware of this type on the computer of somebody else who has my email address in their address book.

A few years back, a colleague sent out a mass email to about 100 recipients regarding the state of her failing health. However, she didn\'t use the bcc: function of her email client. Unfortunately, at least one of the people receiving her email had a computer that was in all likelihood a spambot, as within a few hours, I started receiving spam, a lot of spam. This was particularly annoying since she sent the email to my business address which I almost never use for personal correspondence. I revised my spam filters when I realized I was in for an onslaught. Unfortunately a few other recipients decided to press the \"respond to all\" button on their email client, plus added a few other names, with the expected result. After a lot of effort (including emails to the [email protected]), I managed to tame the situation. Several months after that, the colleague made The Great Translation, and one of her relatives likewise sent out a mass mailing, not only to colleagues but a host of relatives as well. Once again the bcc: function was not used, and the avalanche started all over again, as the computer of one of the new recipients was a also spambot.

I don\'t think it\'s possible to eliminate spam altogether. However:

Spamming could be reduced, if not prevented, if people used anti-virus software to prevent their computers being taken over by a spam bot. Unfortunately there are also address generators that create email addresses and send spam. I sent up a private email address through my business ISP which I\'ve used only for testing purposes (only sent email to myself), and somehow I\'ve received a few spam emails over the past several years.

We should all adopt the practice of using the BCC: option when sending email to unaffiliated people. I\'ve frequently seen the vendor lists of agencies because some PM didn\'t use the BCC: function when sending out a mass announcement.

Just a few simple practices can help control this issue.

Danik 2014
Danik 2014
Brazil
German to Portuguese
+ ...
I got several from those e-mails... Aug 8, 2015

Oliver Walter wrote:

This is a symptom of what I think must be the case: once you are in one (or more) of the lists of email addresses used by spammers, you`re likely to remain on those lists, even if you never reply to the spam/phishing emails. Since I\'m sure I have no viruses or \'trojan horses\' on my computer, I think I must be on some of these lists as a result of some malware of this type on the computer of somebody else who has my email address in their address book.
I\'m sure I recognise all these spam and phishing emails without difficulty. Your first reaction to any email you receive must be to ask \\\"Is it genuine?\\\" - even if it appears to come from somebody you know.
The following is an obvious attempted fraud, roughly similar to Tom\'s. I received it in Feb this year (The Subject was \\\"Good day,\\\"):
---------- start of quoted email -----------
Good day,

Hope all is well with you and your family.

I am Mr Tete Ahmed. Accountant by profession, I\'m 48yrs old, working at the office of Auditing and accounting Department of Bank of Africa (BOA).I\'m married with two children. My residence address no: 18 avenue de la Charles Degaulle sect: 21. Box Postal: 01 bp 5256 Ouagadougou Burkina Faso . I want you to handle this business transaction with me if chance to do international business.

I got your contact from a reliable web directory.
We are imposition to reclaim and inherit the sum of US$10, million without any trouble, from a dormant account which remains unclaimed since 11 years the owner died. This is a U.S Dollar’s account and the beneficiary died without trace of his family to claim the fund and no next of kin.

If interested to do this business with me without betray I will give you more details of the transfer.

Thanks
Mr Tete Ahmed
--------- end of quoted email -----------
The \\\"reply\\\" address was a gmail address, but by analysing the email header, I think it came from a Yahoo server in Taiwan - in any case I doubt whether there\'s any real Burkina Faso connection.

The previous one I received (last December) was (it claimed) from a Mrs Margaret Lewis, with the subject \\\"Dear beloved\\\", who, of course, has no children and whose husband died in Thailand, leaving 7.5 million dollars. She wanted to find somebody \\\"who will use this money to fund churches, orphanages and widows propagating the word of God and to ensure that the house of God is maintained.\\\". This email\'s \\\"from\\\" address was a \\\".com\\\" address actually in Singapore, but the \\\"reply to\\\" address was a \\\".th\\\" address in Thailand.

Yes, I keep a few of these emails as \\\"museum exhibits\\\" for occasions such as today.

[Edited at 2015-08-08 11:10 GMT]

...before I registered on Proz. They were invariably in bad English, by people with made up names, about huge inheritances in unclaimed dormant accounts. I suppose those people are after confirmed personal data. What for I don´t know and I prefer to remain in the dark about it)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

This one made me laugh

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »