The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.
Thread poster: Kaarina
Kaarina
Kaarina  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:04
French to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 22, 2012

Hello,

I was contacted by a person and who "...is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending the message." She asked me for a quote on a job without stating the name of the company she is working for and her mailaddress is an @contactoffice.net addres.

How do I know I can trust her?

Thanks
Kaarina

[Edited at 2012-10-22 15:14 GMT]

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You don't... that's why you need to do your 'due diligence' Oct 22, 2012

As you have rightly identified, you do not have anywhere near enough information for you to form any kind of judgement either way.

As a very first step, you might want to check out the sender's IP address, using one of the many "WhoIs?" service available on line, to see if that reveals any information about what country (at least) the enquirer might be from.

If that does not reveal one of the 'classic' scam locations, then you may feel it worth asking the sender for mor
... See more
As you have rightly identified, you do not have anywhere near enough information for you to form any kind of judgement either way.

As a very first step, you might want to check out the sender's IP address, using one of the many "WhoIs?" service available on line, to see if that reveals any information about what country (at least) the enquirer might be from.

If that does not reveal one of the 'classic' scam locations, then you may feel it worth asking the sender for more complete information about their business; I would do this from some kind of 'throwaway' e-mail address, not your main professional one.

if the person is honest, they will undoubtedely give you the fullest possible information; if they are hesitatnt, cagey, or evasive, then I would say that is a BIG warning bell, and I personally would immediately break off any contact with them, and report them to site staff via a support request so the case can be investigated further and action taken if necessary.
Collapse

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:04
English to Hebrew
+ ...
You can't Oct 22, 2012

This discussion could be deleted because I'm not sure that it is allowed to mention specific names, but here goes anyway.
You didn't provide more information as to the nature of the message itself, but you should be alert to some warning signs.
- If this is a bulk email (not addressing you by name), it is usually not worth your time.
- If they ask for a quote without providing the file, it probably not a quality contact.
- If this is a first contact and they do not provid
... See more
This discussion could be deleted because I'm not sure that it is allowed to mention specific names, but here goes anyway.
You didn't provide more information as to the nature of the message itself, but you should be alert to some warning signs.
- If this is a bulk email (not addressing you by name), it is usually not worth your time.
- If they ask for a quote without providing the file, it probably not a quality contact.
- If this is a first contact and they do not provide at least some basic information about who they are, who they represent, etc., again, probably not a quality "opportunity" to pursue.
And this is just as a quick overview.

If, for whatever reason, you still think that this is a valid opportunity and something worth pursuing, contact them back and ask to get some more details about them - who they are? Who they represent? Ask to receive the file (otherwise, how can you quote?), and ask for any other relevant information that you may need to feel more reassured.

[Edited at 2012-10-22 15:16 GMT]
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:04
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Verifiable contact information Oct 22, 2012

Kaarina wrote:
I was contacted by a person and who "...is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending the message." She asked me for a quote on a job without stating the name of the company she is working for and her mailaddress is an @contactoffice.net addres.

How do I know I can trust her?

Hi Kaarina,

When contacted by an unknown person for business issues you can simply ignore them, or else you should first get verifiable contact information and then verify it. This is the rule #1 in risk management for freelancers.

Regards,
Enrique

Betty Barr

Maria Arruti
Maria Arruti  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2012)
French to Spanish
+ ...
Same here Oct 23, 2012

Hi Kaarina,

Yesterday I received an email via Proz.com from a not-registered user. This was the message:

"Am in need of your translation service; English to Basque.
Get back to me as soon as possible."

So, no greeting, no introduction of himself (or herself), no job description and no closing. I don't even bother to answer this kind of emails.

But if you feel that it can be a good opportunity for you, follow the tips given by other collea
... See more
Hi Kaarina,

Yesterday I received an email via Proz.com from a not-registered user. This was the message:

"Am in need of your translation service; English to Basque.
Get back to me as soon as possible."

So, no greeting, no introduction of himself (or herself), no job description and no closing. I don't even bother to answer this kind of emails.

But if you feel that it can be a good opportunity for you, follow the tips given by other colleagues.

Good luck!

Maria
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Question or possible improvement for Proz Oct 23, 2012

Is there any way that a Proz member (or user - if there is a difference) can config their profile to...

"do not accept e-mail via Proz unless the sender is a registered user/member and is logged in"?

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Yes! Oct 23, 2012

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Is there any way that a Proz member (or user - if there is a difference) can config their profile to...

"do not accept e-mail via Proz unless the sender is a registered user/member and is logged in"?

This already exists! If they were NOT logged in, they would NOT be recognized as being a member; ergo, the "unless the sender is a registered user" inevitably also implies "and is logged in"

The converse is of course also true: someone cannot be logged in unless they are a registered user (whether or not they are a paying member).

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:04
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
FYI Oct 24, 2012

There is a function where you can change your email preferences in your Proz settings.

Open your profile page and you'll see a tab called "Settings". Click this, and you'll see a column on the left. There you'll find a tab called "Notification Settings", and under that there is email preferences. You can change your email settings within the email preferences.

I've changed my settings a few years ago, since I didn't want to be bothered by non-logged in users who don't
... See more
There is a function where you can change your email preferences in your Proz settings.

Open your profile page and you'll see a tab called "Settings". Click this, and you'll see a column on the left. There you'll find a tab called "Notification Settings", and under that there is email preferences. You can change your email settings within the email preferences.

I've changed my settings a few years ago, since I didn't want to be bothered by non-logged in users who don't identify themselves, regardless of scam or no scam.

HTH
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Thanks, Yasutomo! Oct 24, 2012

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

I've changed my settings a few years ago, since I didn't want to be bothered by non-logged in users who don't identify themselves, regardless of scam or no scam.

HTH

This is exactly what I was looking for!

However two of the options there are:
a) Allow only ProZ.com users who are logged in to send me messages via my profile
b) Allow only logged-in ProZ.com members to send me email via my profile page

I wonder if option (a) would include Proz members as users.

Can anyone from the Proz staff following this thread confirm?

Maria Kopnitsky
Maria Kopnitsky  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
First option applies to both members and non-members Oct 24, 2012

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

However two of the options there are:
a) Allow only ProZ.com users who are logged in to send me messages via my profile
b) Allow only logged-in ProZ.com members to send me email via my profile page

I wonder if option (a) would include Proz members as users.

Can anyone from the Proz staff following this thread confirm?

Hello José,

The first of these options (Allow only ProZ.com users who are logged in to send me messages via my profile) allows for both ProZ.com users as well as site members to send you messages through your profile email. In other words, by selecting this option, anyone who is registered on the site and logged into their profile may send you a message, regardless of their membership level.

The second of these options (Allow only logged-in ProZ.com members to send me email via my profile page) allows for only ProZ.com members who are logged-in to send you messages through your profile email.

Hope this explains!

Best regards,

Maria

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »