Jānis Greivuls
Jānis Greivuls
Latvia
Local time: 07:48
English to Latvian
+ ...
Slight off-topic Jun 1, 2012

Elizabeth Faracini wrote:

... I have no idea what some sms-style acronyms mean (like LMK) and find it irritating when these are used in emails.

LMK = Let me know

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:48
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Netiquette Jun 4, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

I am often stunned by the lack of professionalism in initial emails from foreign countries. Makes me wonder how freelancers translators are perceived across the planet. It really ticks me off when non-US prospective clients are trying too hard on their bonding-attempts and sprinkle their first emails with "R U" instead of "are you" and other silly text messaging lingo as if all Americans would engage in teeny-speak or whatever they picked up from Hollywood movies. Or when requests from strictly fundamentalist Middle East countries arrive and I am addressed as "Hey Nicole" as if was some slutty barmaid. What a nerve... Corporate America is still strictly traditional and I like it that way, so please drop that kiddie-speak or teen-speak or scene-speak. Not everyone lives in the ghetto or is thirteen.

The other day I've received an email starting out as: Hey dude! So I figured that cyber space has misrouted it into my inbox - unless I was a man in a previous life ). My finger automatically hit "delete" and I forgot about it. Low and behold, the next day the same email with the same address (hey dude) was again in my inbox. This time with a little note added: ain't you gonna answer me???? (yes, 4 ?)

So I figured - and since I had a quiet moment - I could send him a little note saying: I would reply to you...if I was a man." (shrug)

After that, two more emails from that sender arrived. Their content? I have no idea, not with my finger autiomatically touching the "delete" key.

@ Nicole. The only items you're handling are languages - not beers. You can only shake your head, hit delete, and move on.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:48
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Leaving room for imagination Jun 4, 2012

Usch Pilz wrote:

"Guys"?
What's next?
"Hey dude,"?

Yeah, and we are all one great big loving family
.... until, ehm we try over-paying you with a fake traveler's-cheque or some such thing.

I am just surprised it ends with the rather bland "Regards". That's a bit of a let-down.
The least we could expect would be something along the lines of

"peace bro".

Just for consistency.

Thanks for sharing, Garca!

[Edited at 2012-06-01 19:05 GMT]

Well, I did get they "Hey dude" one. Perhaps the sender is lonely and wants to feel friendly. Or maybe s/he doesn't have a life of his/her own?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

'Guys', thanks in advance for any opinions on this

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »