Thread poster: lysander canlas
Ljiljana Krstic
Ljiljana Krstic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 12:44
English to Serbian
+ ...
JK is back Dec 28, 2012

[quote]Marlene Blanshay wrote: they have pages listing all those names! I also add one: Jennifer Kayal.

They operate around holidays, when translators are very busy, professionally and personally, and pay less attention: this person contacted me yesterday with over 6000 words urgent translation FR>EN, said she'd pay 30 days after invoicing and that she'll provide PO - never provided it, so I googled her and, fortunately, found this forum. Of course I'll cancel this "job" unless she pays the whole sum through Skype or otherwise

Merry holidays to all, more good clients and less scammers

LJ K

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:44
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
good thing you checked! Dec 28, 2012

[quote]Ljiljana Krstic wrote:

Marlene Blanshay wrote: they have pages listing all those names! I also add one: Jennifer Kayal.

They operate around holidays, when translators are very busy, professionally and personally, and pay less attention: this person contacted me yesterday with over 6000 words urgent translation FR>EN, said she'd pay 30 days after invoicing and that she'll provide PO - never provided it, so I googled her and, fortunately, found this forum. Of course I'll cancel this "job" unless she pays the whole sum through Skype or otherwise

LJ K

that's when I was contacted, during the summer when it was slow and I needed work. Same thing happened. No PO, then no payment after 60 days.
She never paid me and I heard from another scam victim. So I doubt she'll pay you either, unless she's changed and become honest.
I suggest to anyone who she contacts: contact the end client and tell them about what she's doing. That she contracted you and pocketed the money. Maybe the word will get out and companies will stop using her. I am sure they would rather not be linked to a scammer.

Justin Renquist (X)
Justin Renquist (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:44
English to French
+ ...
Jennifer Kayal - non-payer Dec 29, 2012

I was also contacted by Jennifer Kayal yesterday to translate the 6000 word FR--> EN legal document, but after some suspicious behavior in her e-mails, I researched her and thank goodness I found a lot of information about her, here and elsewhere, indicating that she has a record of non-payment, so I declined the job after explaining and showing her the links, and her rejecting, of course, my offer for her to pre-pay me for the translation job up front before I would begin the job.
Avoid J
... See more
I was also contacted by Jennifer Kayal yesterday to translate the 6000 word FR--> EN legal document, but after some suspicious behavior in her e-mails, I researched her and thank goodness I found a lot of information about her, here and elsewhere, indicating that she has a record of non-payment, so I declined the job after explaining and showing her the links, and her rejecting, of course, my offer for her to pre-pay me for the translation job up front before I would begin the job.
Avoid Jennifer Kayal. Suspicious and evidence of non-payment under multiple circumstances and with no real, or in some cases deleted, translator profiles on proz.com or translatorscafe.com
She evidently also operates as JK Traductions. Beware.

Here is her French business registration information:
http://www.manageo.fr/fiche_info/533458279/15/el-kayal-jennifer.html

Thanks Marlene Blanshay for sharing your experience with Jennifer!
Saved me a lot of grief chasing down € 600.

If you work with Jennifer, I'd ask for full pre-payment before doing one iota of work.

[Edited at 2012-12-29 15:24 GMT]
Collapse

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:44
German to English
+ ...
same scam Dec 30, 2012

[quote]Ljiljana Krstic wrote:

Marlene Blanshay wrote: they have pages listing all those names! I also add one: Jennifer Kayal.

LJ K

I just responded to an e-mail by JK for the same 6000 urgent words. Didn't see it until today because it landed in my junk mail. I couldn't take it in any case - not my area of expertise and too short deadline. My colleague asked for an up front full payment and got a story about pregnancy and complications. Google brought me here.

traductorchile
traductorchile  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 06:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Something to have in mind May 27, 2013

Stefania Chiellino wrote:
PART 1). Meanwhile, I want you to return the excess amount mean't for the second part first thing tomorrow morning via WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER back to the finance company in UK on the information listed below, so that I can be relief of debt and the earlier the money is been returned, the lesser the interest I will pay on it.

Account officer: Anthony Almeida
Address: 18 Oaks Grove,
Chingford, London,
E4 6EY
United Kingdom

Thereafter, you shall get back to me with a copy of WESTERN UNION receipt for a record keeping sake and these information listed below, so that I can forward it to the finance company immediate to enable them retrieve the fund.

1.Sender's full name and address

2.Exact amount you sent after WESTERN UNION charges

3.Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN 10 DIGIT)

4.Text question and answer

One scam procedure that has been mentioned lately, although it might be old, considers that the "Account Officer" is a real person and absolutely unaware that his information is being used for a scam. In fact all that information (“to whom you should send the money”) can be perfectly valid and legitimate so don’t feel assured if you check and find that it is legitimate information.
The scammer can use the other information you send him (1 and 4) to withdraw the amount sent, even if he isn’t the “Account Officer” and using false identification.
In these cases, and if you are not convinced it is a scam, you should verify the address, what individual or company operates there, and by phone or personally verify if that person knows anything about the offer you have received. If that person is part of the scam, his information is a footprint for legal action or police investigation
The translator's community, over many others, is in the best position (due to its worldwide distribution and its networks) to check local information for foreign requests on a voluntary basis.

TraductorChile
www.sinclavos.cl

alexandra salinasova
alexandra salinasova  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:44
English to German
+ ...
same thing different version Apr 11, 2016

Hi! Saw some very helpful comments earlier about fake American Express travel cheques and I did call them and they confirmed they were fake! Thanks so much for your successful investigation and help, well, especially for letting others know!

Apparently you can even check the validity online or over the phone through some automated device.

I am just slightly concerned because those people know my address...

They said they are American but the envelope has a
... See more
Hi! Saw some very helpful comments earlier about fake American Express travel cheques and I did call them and they confirmed they were fake! Thanks so much for your successful investigation and help, well, especially for letting others know!

Apparently you can even check the validity online or over the phone through some automated device.

I am just slightly concerned because those people know my address...

They said they are American but the envelope has a UK stamp on it with a stamp of the processing centre in Farringdon (London)

Also, they found me elsewhere, on voice 123, an American voiceover website. Can't warn voice 123, they won't allow me to phone, and I don't want to send an e-mail, don't feel safe. (You can only ring them if you are a "platinum member"...-get lost...)

I was told by a charity that fraudsters can be "quite violent if it is about money", ... (??)

I wanted to send the cheques back, but there was no expeditor (of course) I hear if you ask for an address they give you a fake one then blame you as they have not arrived?

I also hear they change their details a lot, name, e-mail, etc etc.

I think my fraudster has a false name, the name is very English but his English is bad!!

What country did your envelope come from, UK, or elsewhere?

Thanks

S
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

feels and smells like a scam

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »