Job board: SDL TRADOS Translator's Workbench Certified?
Thread poster: Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:09
Czech to German
+ ...
Feb 14, 2011

Hello all,

yesterday I read this offer: http://www.proz.com/translation-jobs/499394 but got the following warning as well:

"The outsourcer has chosen to restrict quoting on this job to those who:
... are native speakers of the target languages (You have reported you are.)
... report being SDL TRADOS Translator's Workbench Certified (You have not.) [Edit]<
... See more
Hello all,

yesterday I read this offer: http://www.proz.com/translation-jobs/499394 but got the following warning as well:

"The outsourcer has chosen to restrict quoting on this job to those who:
... are native speakers of the target languages (You have reported you are.)
... report being SDL TRADOS Translator's Workbench Certified (You have not.) [Edit]

The information you have declared in your profile does not match the necessary criteria set by the outsourcer for quoting on this job"

It is right that I don't have this certificate but the offer goes on as follows:

"Preferred software: SDL TRADOS, TransSuite2000, SDLX, Uniscape CAT tool, Wordfast."

Does this mean that I am supposed to be certified by SDL even if using another tool? Probably not, so I'd like to ask whether it would be possible to make such offers available to all who meet the additional criteria.

Charlotte
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:09
French to German
+ ...
Confusing offer... Feb 14, 2011

Hi Charlotte,
that offer landed in my inbox too and I couldn't have started anything with it had I wanted to.

My suggestion is that there should be a consistency check for such offers. According to my logic, adding more tools when "certification" is required for one of them should not be allowed.

Maybe someone sent a support ticket pointing at the inconsistency? Who knows...

PS: my suggestion some time ago was that we should be able to filter
... See more
Hi Charlotte,
that offer landed in my inbox too and I couldn't have started anything with it had I wanted to.

My suggestion is that there should be a consistency check for such offers. According to my logic, adding more tools when "certification" is required for one of them should not be allowed.

Maybe someone sent a support ticket pointing at the inconsistency? Who knows...

PS: my suggestion some time ago was that we should be able to filter out jobs according to the CAT tools listed in our profiles.

[Edited at 2011-02-14 15:15 GMT]
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Referring to site developers Feb 14, 2011

Hello Charlotte and Laurent,

Thanks for bringing this to site staff's attention. Let me refer this issue to be processed internally by site developers now.

I appreciate your patience.

Lucía

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 00:09
English to Turkish
+ ...
Pop-up window Feb 14, 2011

SDL or SDLX certification should appear only if one of those tools are selected. The current layout is misleading and an outsourcer may look for translators using MemoQ or DVX with SDL certification! A pop-up window may be used for this purpose. But again there are 14 different certifications, 10 for SDL and 4 for SDLX, and it is confusing as well. IMO, it will be better to include such requirements in the job description.

And TransSuite2000 is still in the list...
See more
SDL or SDLX certification should appear only if one of those tools are selected. The current layout is misleading and an outsourcer may look for translators using MemoQ or DVX with SDL certification! A pop-up window may be used for this purpose. But again there are 14 different certifications, 10 for SDL and 4 for SDLX, and it is confusing as well. IMO, it will be better to include such requirements in the job description.

And TransSuite2000 is still in the list
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job board: SDL TRADOS Translator's Workbench Certified?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »