Does anyone know the regex for filtering out certain segment numbers in MemoQ?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 12:06
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jan 9

I have these segments numbers in MemoQ that I want to filter out for comparison of them in a web based training:

54-60 275-288 297-302 306-310 326-328 338-341 353-357 378-382 417-423 437-440 446-448 453-455 461-464 487-488 495-498 528-530 554-556 566-572 605-614 630-633 646-650

Daniel Fernandes
Daniel Fernandes  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:06
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Try \d{1,3}-\d{1,3} then try regex101 Jan 9

Hi Fredrik,

I'd use \d{1,3}-\d{1,3} or \d{1,}-\d{1,} (if there are numbers with more digits) to find these numbers.

Regular Expressions isn't an very easy subject and very often can be confusing. So I suggest you to use a website like regex101.com to figure out which expression suits you best.

Best.

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I meant the actual segment numbers in the segment column Jan 9

Sorry for being unclear in my question Daniel - what I meant was that I need to filter out segments according to their segment numbers. This is not possible perhaps.

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:06
Dutch to English
+ ...
I don't think you can Jan 9

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

Sorry for being unclear in my question Daniel - what I meant was that I need to filter out segments according to their segment numbers. This is not possible perhaps.

I'd love that to be possible, but I don't think it is. Could you lock the other rows and filter out locked rows?

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Lock the other rows and filter out locked rows would also work Jan 9

Thanks Rachel, that was a good suggestion. That will work just as fine for me, to lock the other rows and then filter out the locked rows.

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I cannot log the segments because my customer seems to have inactivated that feature Jan 9

I tried now to lock the segments outside my segment numbers intervals, but neither the shortcut for it (Ctrl+Shift+L) nor right-clicking and selecting Lock segments in the context menu works. So I assume my customer has inactivated this feature. I just emailed them and asked them to activate it for me.

Daniel Fernandes
Daniel Fernandes  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:06
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Export to RTF > Paste RTF table to Excel > Import Excel with options > Select range Jan 9

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

Wow! That's an interesting question!

When we import Excel files to MemoQ using the option Import With Options > chose file in Open window > Document import options window > click Change filter & configuration link, it will show the Document import settings. Under Exclude or include ranges section you can select ranges in Excel.

So if it's very important to select these ranges for this job, what I would do:
1. Export the whole file in RTF format.

2. Open the RTF file and copy and paste the table (including the line numbers) to a new Excel file. The table's line numbers would be pasted in Column A. The table's source column would be pasted in Column B and the table's target column* would be pasted in Column C and so on.
*If it's a translation job, so target column is probably empty. So you have to paste the source in the column C, because that's where you should work.

3. Save and close the file. Then Import with options this Excel file to MemoQ following the procedure I described earlier. In Column C, you should select the lines according to the ranges you want.

By the way, you can add the ranges manually by clicking the Add range link instead of clicking the Select ranges in Excel link.

After you finish translation, you export the Excel file. Then you open the Excel file, select the target table and paste it to the RTF file, then import the RTF file to MemoQ. Finally check if everything is OK and commit segments.

I hope it's clear.

Cheers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »