TOPIC STARTER
Two versions in one bible Jun 2, 2007

juvera wrote:

Hi

Enkay wrote:
juvera wrote:
Darby translation:
Jeremiah 48:47
But I will turn the captivity of Moab at the end of the days, saith Jehovah. Thus far is the judgement of Moab.

All other versions (New International, New American Standard, New Living, King James, New English Standard, Contemporary English, etc.):
SODOMITES » Destroyed by fire as a judgement (Genesis 19:24,25)

All others are spelt as judgement or judgements.

By the way, what about spelt / spelled?

I think that's strange... so, do all these sites lie?

48:47 Yet will I bring again the captivity of Moab in the latter days, saith the LORD. Thus far [is] the judgment of Moab.

http://www.godrules.net/library/kjv/kjvjer48.htm
http://bible.cc/jeremiah/48-47.htm

Or is it just a preference? I think the Bible mustn't distinguish between the two words here. Isn't it supposed to be one version only?

As regards "spelt/spelled" I'd think they could be used equally, not depending on a given text, whereas "spelt" is the preferred spelling in GB.

The Darby version of the Bible has "judgement" in Jeremiah
48:47, and in Genesis 19:24 all versions have.

Any other occurence in all versions spell the word as "judgment".

You are asking: Isn't it supposed to be one version only?
If it refers to the Bible, of course, not.
If it refers to the spelling of the word; it is not the only one spelt differently in the same version of the Bible.

Why would any of the versions lie? I am sure they tried to create a translation to the best of their ability from the source(s) they believed was the most authentic, clearest, etc., taking into account the period and the audience they were aiming at.

About the past and past participle of spell I know that spelt/spelled can be used equally and spelt is the preferred spelling in the UK, but I wanted to hear if there is any other opinion.

Why do to point out "Of course not" here? I can see why the word "God" may have different meanings/translations, but why is it the same with "judgement"? And, keeping in mind they used different versions in ONE and the same Bible. Is it a matter of meaning? I truely believe it isn't...

Kind regards

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:41
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Reply. Jun 3, 2007

Enkay wrote:

Is it a matter of meaning? I truely believe it isn't...

Of course not. I never said that.
I merely pointed out the occurence of the different spelling in the various versions of the Bible.

Perhaps I should have written "statistics of occurence of judgment / judgement" as a title of my posting, but I thought "just for information" would be sufficient.

I certainly didn't imply that the different spelling conveys different meaning, because I agree with you, it doesn't.

Kind regards
J

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Oh my... Jun 3, 2007

And I sincerely hope you won't misunderstand the following sentences: "Of course not. I never said that".
It refers to the quote from you, immediately above.

Please don't think that I refute the fact that I wrote the same sentence as the first in my previous post, but this time it is an independent statement.

See more
And I sincerely hope you won't misunderstand the following sentences: "Of course not. I never said that".
It refers to the quote from you, immediately above.

Please don't think that I refute the fact that I wrote the same sentence as the first in my previous post, but this time it is an independent statement.

Collapse

Not religious Jul 21, 2012

If you look at the word IMHO

it is JUDGE and MENT

meaning a decision/action made by a "judge"

whether the "judge" is someone qualified to judge (in a legal sense) or they are just judging...
(like the way the waitress looks at me when i order 3 sides of scrapple (look it up, it's delicious)).

I have to believe that the "e" is necessary... to me the word just looks weird without it.

That's my JUDGEMENT....

Chris

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I always use.... Jul 21, 2012

judgment. "Judgement" looks wrong to me- it looks like American English even thought that wouldn't make sense, since in Webster's rationalised American spelling, "judgment" would be more logical. Duh !

[Edited at 2012-07-21 15:03 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
See this thread I just posted Aug 23, 2012

http://www.proz.com/forum/linguistics/231260-rubarb_or_rhubarb_interesting_preview_of_a_new_book_on_english_spelling.html

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Honestly humanity can cope with this degree of variation...! Aug 23, 2012

Nadine Kahn wrote:
Now I wondered if it's actually true that it depends on the context (legal or non-legal) whether to use "judgement" or "judgment". I honestly can't imagine this being so, for it's the first time that I would've heard about different spelling in different fields as opposed to traditional usage (BE and AE).

What I found is that it has to be related to the Bible, since they first used "Judgment Day" and "Last Judgment" for instances.

I seriously doubt that you'll find people consistently using one or other spelling to refer consistently and exclusively to judg(e)ment in the biblical sense and the other spelling to refer consistently and exclusively to judg(e)ment in the legal sense.

And is there seriously going to be a case where (say) a court decides that a contract is referring to a judgement by God because of the spelling used?

It can be useful to have basic norms and conventions to make sure that we're all "on the same page". But there are cases where a small amount of variation and personal preference really can be tolerated by the writing system without civilisation as we know it coming to its knees, and I would submit that this is one of those occasions.

So... I would say to people who are agonising over this: choose whichever spelling *you* prefer and move on to more interesting dilemmas!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

judgement vs. judgment

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »