Stron w wątku:   < [1 2 3] >
So when will people stop beginning every statement with "so"?
Autor wątku: Tom in London
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 13:48
Członek ProZ.com
hiszpański
+ ...
Live and let live Sep 5, 2013

Tom in London wrote:

So I've only noticed this lately, and it seems to be getting worse.

T o b i a s
T o b i a s
portugalski > angielski
+ ...
Science Friday Sep 5, 2013

Any other fans of NPR's Science Friday?

http://www.sciencefriday.com/

In order to appear as a guest on the show, you have to sign an agreement promising to begin the answer to each of Ira's questions "So . . ."

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Włochy
Local time: 20:48
włoski > angielski
In Memoriam
Live and let die Sep 5, 2013

"So Mr Bond, we meet again" (Mr Big strokes well-fed white voodoo cat while considering next fiendishly irritating viral idiom).

Joanna Wang
Joanna Wang  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 13:48
angielski > chiński
So, everyone says it, so? Sep 5, 2013

"So" is an informal, conversational word, used commonly in characteristic of or appropriate to ordinary or familiar conversation rather than formal speech or writing.

"So" can be used as adverb, interjection, adjective, pronoun, interjection, and used in Idioms . If we consider speaking as cooking, then "so" is salt.

So, are we good?

[Edited at 2013-09-05 20:33 GMT]

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
Chiny
Local time: 02:48
chiński > angielski
Use in moderation to prevent heart disease Sep 6, 2013

Joanna Wang wrote:

"so" is salt.

Very apt. Best used in the preparation of food, and should not be an obvious flavour during consumption.

Clearly it's just one of those things: so is being used as a "filler" like um. It's not an inherently bad thing, but not everyone has to like it.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Holandia
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > afrikaans
+ ...
I heard this from Capita's people last year Sep 6, 2013

Tom in London wrote:
So I've only noticed this lately, and it seems to be getting worse.

The first time I've noticed someone starting literally every sentence with "so" was during last year's UK interpreter debacle, when both representatives of Capita (both fairly high up in the organisation) started practically every sentence with a long "So...", followed by a pause (but no "erm"), even when they were responding to questions that would not normally elicit a "so".

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Holandia
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > afrikaans
+ ...
Yes, but some people use "so" even when you wouldn't use such a word normally Sep 6, 2013

Joanna Wang wrote:
"So" is an informal, conversational word, used commonly in characteristic of or appropriate to ordinary or familiar conversation rather than formal speech or writing.

"So" can be used as [an] ... interjection.

So, are we good?

I suppose using "so" at the start of every sentence is an interjection. I noticed you used it only once, even though you wrote three sentences. When people use it (the way I've heard it), the voice doesn't go up but stays level, which makes them sound very uncertain of what they're saying.

OR:

So, I suppose using "so" at the start of every sentence is an interjection. So, I noticed you used it only once. So, even though you wrote three sentences. So, when people use it (the way I've heard it), the voice doesn't go up but stays level. So, which makes them sound very uncertain of what they're saying. So, some people really sound like that... and I don't think they realise just how uncertain they sound.

Elina Sellgren
Elina Sellgren  Identity Verified
Finlandia
Local time: 21:48
Członek ProZ.com
od 2013

angielski > fiński
+ ...
So I've noticed.. Sep 6, 2013

I have noticed that myself, as a non-native speaker of English, I tend to use so a lot when I write a sequence of sentences that aim to explain a causal chain to someone. So I end up writing something like "The fact is that.. So that's why we need to do this.. So that's how it's done."

And when I notice the multiple so's, it's so difficult to find alternatives! And at the same time they feel so necessary in the sentences..

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 19:48
portugalski > angielski
+ ...
You'll like this one Sep 6, 2013

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9644000/9644002.stm

Tom in London
Tom in London
Wielka Brytania
Członek ProZ.com
od 2008

włoski > angielski
NOWY TEMAT
Thanks Sep 6, 2013

THat was excellent - and hilarious. Thanks !

neilmac
neilmac
Hiszpania
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
Great! Sep 6, 2013

John Holland wrote:

So many questions, so little time?

So anyway, here's a video that I think might be relevant?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvey4uiuLO4

Very funny and on the mark

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
francuski > angielski
+ ...
In Memoriam
The Bard himself Sep 6, 2013

I agree that all these modish tics quickly become tedious and irritating, "so" included, but then they fade and die, to be succeeded by something else equally annoying.

However, Shakespeare himself did it at the end of his famous sonnet XVIII:

"So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee".

I know, his usage wasn't the same as the meaningless sentence-starting so.

Fight on,
Jenny

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Hiszpania
Członek ProZ.com
od 2010

hiszpański > angielski
Pues...nada. Sep 6, 2013

Love it!

neilmac
neilmac
Hiszpania
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
So shut up Sep 6, 2013

Methinks the gentleman from the beeb doth protest too much. Especially when their 6 Music channel has one presenter (I think it's either Radlicffe or Maconie) whose "er... ums" are notorious. After all, the much-maligned "so" is just a filler. The same thing happens in Spanish with "Pues..." and if you really want a breather before speaking, "Pues mira..." also does the trick.

[Edited at 2013-09-06 10:38 GMT]

mjbjosh
mjbjosh
angielski > łotewski
+ ...
Again Oct 22, 2013

So, again this is nothing unique. More and more French speakers start their sentences by alors, Germans by also, Latvians by tātad, etc. Probably there is some common denominator.

Stron w wątku:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

So when will people stop beginning every statement with "so"?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »