What is "level of aspect" described by Roman Jakobson in his cross-linguistic differences theory?
Thread poster: Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani
Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani
Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:15
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Sep 22, 2012

Roman Jakobson describes the level of cross-linguistic theory, I found out the first and the last level but not the second. Would you please describe it for me?

Here it is the theory:

• the level of gender: e.g. house is feminine in Romance languages, neuter in Germanand English; honrv is masculine in French, German and Italian,feminine in Spanish, neuter in English, etc.;

• the level of aspect: in Russian, the verb morphology varies according to whethe
... See more
Roman Jakobson describes the level of cross-linguistic theory, I found out the first and the last level but not the second. Would you please describe it for me?

Here it is the theory:

• the level of gender: e.g. house is feminine in Romance languages, neuter in Germanand English; honrv is masculine in French, German and Italian,feminine in Spanish, neuter in English, etc.;

• the level of aspect: in Russian, the verb morphology varies according to whether theaction has been completed or not;

• the level of semantic fields: e.g. the German Qeschui.ster is normally expli¬cated inEnglish as hrothers and sisters; and the English JulJren in the statement 'I've got twochildren' is translated as the gender-specific fujaa in Spanish if both children are female.

What is aspect exactly?
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 17:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aspect Sep 22, 2012

toloue_man wrote:

Here it is the theory:

• the level of aspect: in Russian, the verb morphology varies according to whether theaction has been completed or not;

• the level of semantic fields: e.g. the German Qeschui.ster is normally expli¬cated inEnglish as hrothers and sisters; and the English JulJren in the statement 'I've got twochildren' is translated as the gender-specific fujaa in Spanish if both children are female.

What is aspect exactly?

Aspect in Russian is mainly related to whether the action described by the verb is completed (we went) or not (we were going / we used to go). You have the perfect and imperfect aspects, which are largely self-explanatory.
"The Russian verbal system differs from that of other European languages in one important way: it is built primarily on the distinction of aspect (whether the action has been or will be completed) rather than tense (whether the action occurred in the past, present, or will occur in the future). Aspect is a verbal category that distinguishes between actions which are successfully completed once and those which are not. Actions successfully completed once are called perfective, from the Latin word perfectus which means 'completed'. Those not successfully completed once may be either (a) in progress (hence not completed) or (b) repeated (hence not carried out once). These actions are called 'imperfective' (guess what Latin imperfectus means)."

Reference from: http://www.alphadictionary.com/rusgrammar/aspect.html

[Edited at 2012-09-22 09:52 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-09-22 09:52 GMT]

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Verbal aspects in Russian Sep 22, 2012

This might give you an idea:
http://www.rus-on-line.ru/Exercises/Grammar/25-2-grammar.html

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:15
Russian to English
+ ...
Aspect. Sep 22, 2012

toloue_man wrote:

Here it is the theory:

What is aspect exactly?

Hi, Tolou man. Are you sure this is really the theory? It just does not look right. There is no grammatical gender in modern English. Aspect -- grammatical aspect, indicates whether the action has been completed or not; or whether it is continuous. It can also indicate some other things, in various languages. In Russian the perfective aspect, for example, does not directly correspond to the English perfective aspect. This is true about many languages -- some features overlap, others do not.

Türkiye
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Misunderstanding of my question Sep 22, 2012

Thanks for your replies.

It seems that you have misunderstood my question. By above-mentioned question, I mean what is aspect in the sense that Roman Jackbson has used.

I'd like to know the meaning of aspect in its general sense not in any specific language like Russian or others.

Türkiye
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Aspect Sep 22, 2012

Hi LilianBoland!

Thanks for your reply

I finally found out what aspect is. I'm sure that there is no problem with the theory. It has been mentioned in Jeremy Munady's book , Inroducing translation studies , Edition one , on page 37.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:15
Russian to English
+ ...
Well, just the neuter gender in English got me puzzled. Sep 22, 2012

There are no grammatical genders in English as such. "House" as an object is genderless in Modern English. I only takes the neuter pronoun --"it "( you have to use the neuter pronoun it to substitute the noun, but the noun itself does not have a grammatical gender in Modern English). Nouns had gender in Old English, though.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is "level of aspect" described by Roman Jakobson in his cross-linguistic differences theory?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »