Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
英国
Local time: 20:30
ドイツ語 から 英語
+ ...
Any more Feb 7, 2011

George Trail wrote:
Have you ever noticed that no-one says "gotten" anymore? (or should that be "any more"?)

Any more.
Examples:
  • I'm not going to use that builder any more because his prices are too high.
  • I can't call on you on my way home any more because I no longer work in that place.

(However, both "every day" and "everyday" exist, but "every day" is an adverbial phrase and "everyday" is an adjective:
  • I used to go to work every day.
  • Eating breakfast is an everyday activity.
)

Oliver

[Edited at 2011-02-08 10:38 GMT]

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
カナダ
Local time: 15:30
英語
+ ...
Everyday Feb 8, 2011

Oliver Walter wrote:

(However, both "every day" and "everyday" exist, but "every day" is an adverbial phrase and "everyday" is an adjective:
  • I used to go to work every day.
  • Eating breakfast is an everyday activity.
)

Oliver

There’s a rather large supermarket chain here in English-speaking Toronto with the tagline “Best Prices Everyday”. Every time I see it I want to cringe.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
スペイン
Local time: 20:30
2007に入会
英語
+ ...
@ George Feb 8, 2011

George Trail wrote:

"Woven" is the past participle of the verb to weave, not to wave! "Microwoven" doesn't exist!

How right you are!

But in my family, we have been known to say "Hmmm, I'm sure these carrots have been microwoven. Shan't come here again".

Now, are we alone in this usage (albeit "wrong" usage)? I doubt that it's a Wilson-only word, but I'll accept the Kudoz if we have invented a new one. Anyone else willing to give it legitimacy?

BTW, thanks for starting this thread!

K Donnelly
K Donnelly  Identity Verified
米国
Local time: 15:30
イタリア語 から 英語
+ ...
In defense of gotten... Feb 8, 2011

As someone from the Northeast (US), I must confess that 'gotten' is part of my everyday vocabulary. When I was in school (the 70s to early 90s) I was never told this was 'incorrect' English and, as far as I know, its use is still perfectly acceptable in that region of the country. However, 'gotten' has a very specific meaning and cannot be used interchangeably with 'got'.

Fowler's Modern English Usage provides a good description of 'correct' usage as I understand it:

go
... See more
As someone from the Northeast (US), I must confess that 'gotten' is part of my everyday vocabulary. When I was in school (the 70s to early 90s) I was never told this was 'incorrect' English and, as far as I know, its use is still perfectly acceptable in that region of the country. However, 'gotten' has a very specific meaning and cannot be used interchangeably with 'got'.

Fowler's Modern English Usage provides a good description of 'correct' usage as I understand it:

gotten:
1. Few uses mark out the Americanness of a person more readily than their natural use of 'got' and 'gotten' as alternative past participles of 'get'. 'Gotten' is no longer used in Britain, although it was once in regular use. In AmE, it is used only when the meaning is 'have (or has) obtained or acquired', i.e. when it denotes coming into possession; when the meaning is 'have (or has) in one's possession', i.e. when it denotes the fact of possession now, 'got' is used. The difference can be seen by comparing the two sentences 'We have gotten an apartment in Manhattan', which means we have recently acquired it, and 'We have got an apartment in Manhattan', which means we have one available to us (as well as a house in Boston, for example). BrE uses got in both cases, with consequent ambiguity in some cases.

2. 'Gotten' is also used when the meaning is 'have (or has) become, come, developed, etc.', i.e. when a notion of progression is involved.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The end of a word? (gotten)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »