What better person to ask than a professional linguist, like most of us on ProZ, to define a cliche
Inițiatorul discuției: George Trail
George Trail
George Trail  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
Local time: 19:06
Membru (2009)
din franceză în engleză
+ ...
Apr 23, 2010

Define "empty promise", anyone?

http://definingacliche.blogspot.com/2010/04/empty-promise-definition.html

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-04-23 11:59 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia şi Herţegovina
Local time: 20:06
Membru (2009)
din engleză în croată
+ ...
Too long definitions. Apr 23, 2010

These two definitions are good, but overly long, IMO. The article isn't signed. Are you the author, George?

Phrasal definitions in dictionary forms must be concise and precise.

For example,

Empty promise:

(disapproving) A promise that is not going to be fulfilled, and is usually given for boasting, leaving a good image or manipulation.

[Edited at 2010-04-23 12:28 GMT]

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 14:06
din spaniolă în engleză
+ ...
What ... Apr 23, 2010

... makes you think that most Proz members/users are 'professional linguists'?
What better person to ask than a professional linguist, like most of us on ProZ, ...

I, for one, would never qualify myself as such - if only out of respect for the minority who can honestly make that claim.

Being a 'professional linguist' and 'making a 'living from translation' are quite different concepts.

MediaMatrix

[Edited at 2010-04-23 13:19 GMT]

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
din franceză în engleză
Hmmmm Apr 23, 2010

Lingua 5B wrote:
Are you the author, George?

if you look bottom right on the page, you can see he is. I actually thought that starting a thread with the express purpose of highlighting one's own blog (or website) was frowned upon, both here and in general (I am on one website where your account is deleted, no questions asked, if you do what young George has just done).

Your definition fits my understanding - a promise that won't be kept, for whatever reason.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia şi Herţegovina
Membru (2009)
din engleză în croată
+ ...
Yes, I've seen it. Apr 23, 2010

I've seen it in the right bottom "About me" corner. But the blog's interface is a little odd, so I wasn't sure whose blog it was. The " About me" person might have also been a visitor/ or a commentator on the blog, because it's put in the corner like it's least important. The author's name is supposed to be placed at the top, by the article's header.

Yes, this may appear like advertising one's own blog, but maybe that hasn't been George's intention and was just for informational pur
... See more
I've seen it in the right bottom "About me" corner. But the blog's interface is a little odd, so I wasn't sure whose blog it was. The " About me" person might have also been a visitor/ or a commentator on the blog, because it's put in the corner like it's least important. The author's name is supposed to be placed at the top, by the article's header.

Yes, this may appear like advertising one's own blog, but maybe that hasn't been George's intention and was just for informational purposes.
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
Franţa
din franceză în germană
+ ...
OT: just for the record,... Apr 23, 2010

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:
Are you the author, George?

if you look bottom right on the page, you can see he is. I actually thought that starting a thread with the express purpose of highlighting one's own blog (or website) was frowned upon, both here and in general (I am on one website where your account is deleted, no questions asked, if you do what young George has just done).

this (I now mean linking to one's weblog and starting a discussion about its content) has been done many times before, here on ProZ. And the moderation did not comment about it, so "we may assume" it is allowed or at least tolerated.

Françoise Vogel
Françoise Vogel  Identity Verified
din engleză în franceză
+ ...
why for? Apr 23, 2010

One blog a day (and one thread a day to mention it), is not it a bit confusing?

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
din franceză în engleză
Mebbe, mebbe not :-) Apr 26, 2010

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

this (I now mean linking to one's weblog and starting a discussion about its content) has been done many times before, here on ProZ. And the moderation did not comment about it, so "we may assume" it is allowed or at least tolerated.

Well, I'm not sure, I guess it must depend which forum section you do it in. I'm sure that a while ago (just before/after new year?) someone else (not George) started a similar thread that got quashed, and then it was pointed out that there was an ancient thread (2001?) actively asking for individuals to post links to their own or other blogs, and that was allowed to stand.

I agree entirely that if you know of a blog post relevant to a topic, you should be allowed to link to it, whether it is your blog or anyone else's.

I do also happen to think that it is not quite cricket to start a topic and then post a link to your own blog as the first post in that topic. There must be dozens if not hundreds of us on here who could start a "here's some interesting stuff I wrote today" thread every day, but curiously, most people opt not to do so.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What better person to ask than a professional linguist, like most of us on ProZ, to define a cliche

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »