George Trail
George Trail  Identity Verified
英国
Local time: 19:23
正式会员 (自2009)
French法语译成English英语
+ ...
Apr 22, 2010

On how language and intelligence are inter-related; this blog also aims to provoke thought about how certain individual words REALLY get used...

http://languageandthesubtletiesofhumannature.blogspot.com/2010/04/weve-all-heard-of-intelligence-but.html

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
墨西哥
Local time: 12:23
Spanish西班牙语译成English英语
I cannot agree with the post at all Apr 22, 2010

For a professional linguist to claim that a spelling mistake is a sign of lack of intelligence is like a mechanical calling me thick because I haven't the first clue about engines.

I know the difference is that we were all taught spelling at school, but besides there being a huge variety of schools and teachers, if a person's interest lie in another direction, they will not pay the same heed to the lesson.

Good use of language has always been important to me and I thi
... See more
For a professional linguist to claim that a spelling mistake is a sign of lack of intelligence is like a mechanical calling me thick because I haven't the first clue about engines.

I know the difference is that we were all taught spelling at school, but besides there being a huge variety of schools and teachers, if a person's interest lie in another direction, they will not pay the same heed to the lesson.

Good use of language has always been important to me and I think it is important for society in general, but I have known so many extremely intelligent people who cannot write to save their lives, because they were never properly taught and have never seen the point of learning.
Collapse

fathia haider
fathia haider
Local time: 21:23
English英语译成Arabic阿拉伯语
+ ...
mistakes in spelling Apr 22, 2010

I agree that it would be unfair to judge the linguists on their spelling mistakes, for me lanuage itself is like a huge sea. It is not possible to embrace all its components. There are always new vocabulary, new statement especially for the second language. I'm a native Arab but still I find myself learning new words and termonology, new expression. It is really exciting to be interested in languages. But what I would like to say, we should find a useful and simple way to spell words correc... See more
I agree that it would be unfair to judge the linguists on their spelling mistakes, for me lanuage itself is like a huge sea. It is not possible to embrace all its components. There are always new vocabulary, new statement especially for the second language. I'm a native Arab but still I find myself learning new words and termonology, new expression. It is really exciting to be interested in languages. But what I would like to say, we should find a useful and simple way to spell words correctly, learning should not be related to teachers only we are our own teachers we have to teach ourselves coninuously and properly.Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
德国
Local time: 20:23
正式会员 (自2006)
Dutch荷兰语译成German德语
+ ...
language proficiency - intelligence Apr 22, 2010

George, I'd never think about making assumptions about your intelligence based on the quality of your German CV.

Françoise Vogel
Françoise Vogel  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:23
English英语译成French法语
+ ...
Apr 22, 2010

[Edited at 2010-04-22 17:23 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Language and the subtleties of the nature of its users

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »